Page 174 of 193 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 2884

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Giant's Rolling Pin is a stupid Beatles song. I don't really mind it on the album anymore tbh, I just wish the lyrics... made more sense??

But wait a minute, all this Maids of Elfen Mere hate? Fuck that! That's one of the most evocative songs on the album to me. I listen to real Ren Faire shit, and it is mostly cheesy shit. This song uses similar folk and classical elements, but is actually good. The lyrics tie in perfectly to the album's themes of time and aging, while being a self-contained little fable. I just wish it led into a darker song, like Forest of Glass maybe.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ Maids really suffers from the tracklisting, that's for sure.

I love Maids! I think its a weird wonderful little song, but I agree that its in the wrong place.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    I think the vocal melodies in UG, the song, are some of her most beautiful. So mideval.
    Do you mean medieval? What kind are you referring to?
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I LOVE the ticking clock on 16 Shades leading into the midnight tones of Maids. Except for the placement of Promise and Giant's, each song on the album clearly relates to the one that follows it, thematically. I fixed this by putting those two at the end, between Rose Dover and Invisible Boy. This makes so much more sense.

I changed my mind about Forest of Glass. I think all of the b-sides are proper b-sides. GRP can stay, cuz... Well Tori's been around awhile and I guess she's allowed to have ONE stupid song on a pretty darn good album.

This album only grows stronger with each listen.

GRP needs to evaporate. It's the only song I can't at all. Even Promise holds its own for what it is... and... um... I actually enjoy it. Rose Dover = , though I try to forgive the overly obvious lyrics in parts of that song.

I'd love to hear any of your custom tracklists, especially with a different opening song. I haven't found a sequence that's optimal. I sometimes think the title track would have been a good opener, but it would have asked for other songs to contain a bit more funk.
    Last edited by Tonic; 05-19-2015 at 08:33 PM.

This is what i use

1-Trouble's Lament
    2-Wedding Day
    3-Weatherman
    4-Selkie
    5-Maids of Elfen-Mere
    6-Forest of Glass
    7-Unrepentant Geraldines
    8-Oysters
    9-16 Shades of Blue
    10-Invisible Boy
    11-America

GRP is just so puzzling. I mean, I don't like Promise and 16 Shades too, but at least I can kinda fit them into the album's context. GRP is just SO DAMN RANDOM WHYYYYY, and it's not even short, it's a waste of 4 minutes of the album and our lives
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    GRP would be fine if it was half as long. It just goes on for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Yep. It's placed terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    "Invisible Boy" barely gets mentioned round here and IDGI.
    It seemed like everyone was really into it when the album first came out. I never got into that song at all.

I remember sort of feeling like I was listening to a different album when it came out because a lot of the tracks that people raved about were ones I was super meh about while the ones that I like the most are Wedding Day, Trouble's Lament, Selkie, Maids, and UG (the first part).

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Do you mean medieval? What kind are you referring to?
    Yes, medieval...that's the word I meant! The other one just didn't look right. And yes I was referring to the backing harmonies.

Wedding Day, Maids, Rose Dover and Giant's Rolling Pin are the songs I never feel a need to return to - I've never been a fan of the Ren Faire sound in the first place though.

I thought GRP was cute and kinda clever the first time I heard it, but I like it less and less each time I re-listen to the album.

The songs I like the most are Unrepentant Geraldines proper, Invisible Boy and Trouble's Lament. I think Selkie is gorgeous and America is pretty solid too, but some of the other tracks lose me. I like the premise and execution of things like Maids and Wild Way, for example, but neither really do anything for me personally.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    The songs I'm going back to more often are America, UG and Forest of Glass. The only song I'm not really fond of is Wild Way, but it's not ugly... I just don't like some parts of it. And GRP which would be nice if it was shorter. And I still think that Oyster would have benefitted from a lower key.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I'm gonna grade the songs after a year's consideration because . . . why not?

For me, the top of the class is now comprised of (as they appear in the tracklist) America, Trouble's Lament, Wild Way, Weatherman, Selkie, Unrepentant Geraldines, Oysters. That's 7 A or A+ songs, songs that definitely should win big scholarships and go to grad school or whatever. Weatherman has a decent shot at valedictorian. The only song that would get an endnote that wasn't just praise would be the title track - I'd criticize the production choices in the first half of the song (ugh, that "chapel of birds" section, it sounds like an SNES racing game, and not in a good way) - but the song itself is so strong, as are the piano and vocal performances, that I'd still give it an 'A.'

I'm also very fond of Wedding Day, 16 Shades of Blue (this one has come down in my estimation a bit), and Giant's Rolling Pin (sue me). Let's call these B+/A- songs - absolutely interesting and worthwhile but some little flaws in execution, or some slight lack in content, hold them back just a little bit.

I don't really feel much of anything for Maids of Elfin-Mare, Rose Dover, or Invisible Boy (it just doesn't connect with me in any meaningful way). They're fine but they're not exciting or interesting. These would get a B, B-.

And that leaves Promise - the misfit of the class. Very difficult to grade this one. It has some excellent aspects - the piano and organ are wonderful. But it also has some bizarre, inexplicable choices - Tash has a solo vocal track, performed in a fairly naturalistic soulful style, but it's set against Mama Amos doing a strange artificial multi-tracked vocal - definitely not 'soulful' or 'naturalistic' - kinda robotic, if anything. This tension between the 'natural' daughter and the 'artificial' mother could be exploited, in a Deeper Understanding/Mother Stands for Comfort kind of way, but nothing in the song is about such a tension, or relates to it in an interesting way. The warm organ, the rolling piano, the unpretentious loving lyrics - everything about it calls for two unselfconscious female voices soaring and weaving and intertwining, letting any vocal cracks, imperfections, and weaknesses show (because the song is about supporting each other despite those weaknesses, not about inadequately masking them). I'd probably give it a C+ and write a long marginal note about how there's great potential here for more.