Page 181 of 192 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 2871

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

This album has really grown on me. I'm listening to "Selkie" right now; just finished several other songs from the album. There's something nostalgic about it, not cringeworthy a'la American Doll Posse when her voice was so over-the-top, forced, and dry. Maybe it's me getting older or the fact that autumn is upon us, but this album and Night of Hunters are really resonating with me.

ETA: I love that the songs finally feel like they're breathing again. The tempo changes in "Weatherman", even the divisive Beatle's-ish interlude in "Rose Dover." I'm so happy to hear the songs change in interesting ways. It's been a long time since she's allowed them to breathe. I'm grateful for it.
    Last edited by pancakefrompele; 10-27-2016 at 01:45 AM.

^ I feel the same!

I can honestly say that the songs below surpass 90% of the songs from TBK, ADP, and AATS for me. Love NOH as well.

Selkie
    Weatherman
    America
    Forest of Glass
    Dixie
    Oysters
    Invisible Boy
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    Robbing the muse...

UG hasn't aged too well for me, i think my hype over a new, non-side-project Tori album (and my very first new album wait) clouded it.

HOWEVER, Dixie. That little bonus track alone makes the whole thing worthwhile. Easily in my top 10 Tori songs.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I've been bringing this album out a little bit, too. I don't like it as much as NOH but I am probably in the minority on that.

My beef: Invisible Boy is so specifically tied into Mark that it drives me nuts. 1000 oceans is for him too but I feel it's something everyone can relate to. Also, calling that man a boy makes me cringe. That is all.

I listened to Dixie again today, because I've probably only listened to it 3 times ever. I appreciate the sentiment of the song, but it just doesn't grab me. I don't see how it can be anyone's top ten favorite. There are so many other Tori songs that punch me in the gut with emotions. Invisible Boy is another one that just doesn't resonate with me emotionally like I feel like it should. Just doesn't feel authentic. Feels forced.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I love Dixie, its a beautiful little song, and I can see how anyone who has a really close relationship with their mom might be hit in all the right places.

Invisible Boy is one of my favorite Tori songs of the past decade, easily. It doesn't bother me that much it's about Mark - and I think she's appealing to his younger self so it can be a comfort to his adult self, which I find incredibly moving.

Aster and toriMODE, are there other songs on UG that grab you and you love? I dislike Wild Way for example because I think it feels "inauthentic" with the verse lyrics - but I know some here see it as a favourite from the album.

I am just glad a Tori album since Scarlet seems to be generally enjoyed by most of her fans - this has not happened in years. Even if we all agree to like different songs (like I am sure we all do on BFP or SLG), the fact that fans generally like her direction on the album is exciting - for what could happen on the next album...
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I love Dixie, its a beautiful little song, and I can see how anyone who has a really close relationship with their mom might be hit in all the right places.
    Mine is in another country and I miss window shopping with my mum

My mom has done so much for me, sometimes I feel like I don't deserve her patience. I was driving when I heard Dixie for the first time, and was a complete SOBBING MESS when she sang "look away, look again, she is still holding my hand"

Honestly can't remember the last time a Tori song hit me that hard. The last time MIGHT have been the first time I ever listened to Winter or Hey Jupiter. That was 20 YEARS ago.

Yeah it came out around my mom's birthday and mother's day so it was especially moving for me. But it's even better in winter. One of her best Christmas songs without even attempting to be a Christmas song.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Dixie is probably my favorite off UG.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    i never realized she did it live..looks like she's only done it this once though. i lost my mom just a little over a year ago. she is still holding my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Aster and toriMODE, are there other songs on UG that grab you and you love? I dislike Wild Way for example because I think it feels "inauthentic" with the verse lyrics - but I know some here see it as a favourite from the album.

I am just glad a Tori album since Scarlet seems to be generally enjoyed by most of her fans - this has not happened in years. Even if we all agree to like different songs (like I am sure we all do on BFP or SLG), the fact that fans generally like her direction on the album is exciting - for what could happen on the next album...
    That's funny, because Wild Way is probably my favorite from UG and it doesn't feel forced to me at all.

Dixie.