Page 182 of 193 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 2886

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Wild Way is nice, but the live versions kinda ruined it for me. I'm forever traumatized by that late night TV performance which was truly one of the worst. And after I had just tried to convince everyone that "old Tori" was back, she pulls that shit...

"I heeeeeet choo"
    "gooooo-juzz"
    "with just a fuhhh-LICK!!! of your feen-gah"

Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    That's funny, because Wild Way is probably my favorite from UG and it doesn't feel forced to me at all.
    Wild Way is amazing and it realllllllly resonates with me. I think this is one of the beautiful things about UG - the songs deal with a variety of topics and there is really Something For Everyone.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Wild Way is one of my favorites from UG too. this live version is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    Wild Way is one of my favorites from UG too. this live version is gorgeous.

this really is a solid performance with a beautiful clean vocal

Wow! That almost makes me like the song. I never got into the studio version - and that late-night performance was the final nail.

I also love this live version of Dixie I recently found:

Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    I feel like an idiot, but I only recently realized that Dixie was referencing a traditional song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_(song)
    I'm not from the south so maybe that's why I had never heard it? It was actually an episode of The Mindy Project where there is a group singing it and the "look away, look away" part made me take notice and check for online references

Quote Originally Posted by roominmyheart View Post
    I feel like an idiot, but I only recently realized that Dixie was referencing a traditional song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_(song)
    I'm not from the south so maybe that's why I had never heard it? It was actually an episode of The Mindy Project where there is a group singing it and the "look away, look away" part made me take notice and check for online references
    Tori has actually done improvs of the original song before.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that! I'd never heard it. At one point during that tour I tried to hunt down all the improvs, but I definitely missed quite a few! That would be cool for her to release as well, a compilation of all her improvs.

She did "Dixie" in Dallas in 2003 also, but I can't find a video.

I finally had a little bit of a breakthrough with Rose Dover. I previously thought I just couldn't stand it, but had a good subway ride with it yesterday - now I think it sounds like a really cheap, GarageBand demo of a song I might like.

(The title track still sounds like a cheap, GarageBand demo of a song I could absolutely love.)

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    (The title track still sounds like a cheap, GarageBand demo of a song I could absolutely love.)
    I totally get why you feel disappointed by the title track, but for me, as I have probably said a million times here (sorry guys) I love it unabashedly anyway. Legit love it. Ranks high for me within her oeuvre.

-I love the lyrics. Even though I prefer abstract Tori to direct Tori, the line "I'm going to heal myself/free myself from your religion [i.e. religious bullshit]" cuts deep
    -I love --LOVE-- that piano solo
    -I love the chorus
    -I love the line "she plays the bass like a messiah"
    -I love the connection between UG and VW movements within the song, both musically and metaphorically

And it may sound cheesy and on the nose, but you know, Tori Amos, running from the church, into the natural world, playing music (absolutely at a messiah level to my former teenage self), and celebrating the feminine certainly helped me feel more powerful, and helped me free myself, and find myself, and define myself as a formerly troubled teenager. She was my vicar's wife.

I think the song is a huge accomplishment and statement about her mission and her career.

If she ever tours with a band again, I demand she adapts it and plays it live.

I think the title track of UG is an amazing Tori Amos classic and campy as fuck all while being sincerely beautiful. I don't have any problems with the production or cheap instruments.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I think the title track of UG is an amazing Tori Amos classic and campy as fuck all while being sincerely beautiful.
    Ha! Never thought of it that way, but your description makes me laugh. I like it.

Steal me away.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I think the title track of UG is an amazing Tori Amos classic and campy as fuck all while being sincerely beautiful. I don't have any problems with the production or cheap instruments.
    I don't mind the stripped-down feel of it, but I can't get over the chintzy sound of those instruments. If it was more like, say... the album version of Crucify, then that would be cool.