Page 83 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2726

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    P.S. Haven't heard Forest of Glass yet, so still holding out hope for that one.
    It's a beauty.
    Got straight into my edit of the album.

It's a nice album in terms of cohesion and production, but I wish there were more songs that grabbed me by the throat and gave it a good hard squeeze. I guess I miss the edge, the teeth, the cathartic emotion her songs used to have (Earthquakes thru Scarlet). Just my personal opinion.
    I miss this myself, and I don't think I'll truly ever accept it, but I'm thinking there's just no reason to count on that ever happening again. I think "Strong Black Vine" was probably the closest we've gotten to a truly aggressive vocal from Tori, and that song was one big FAIL in my book. She's cleaned up her singing style and removed all of the... realness, I guess out of it, and I think she wants her albums to sound that way, clean and neat and filtered. Main reason I can't really hack 'Gold Dust,' aside from certain quieter songs where those super-pristine vocals work. She gives it up in the live shows, she's clearly capable of it, but she chooses not to on albums any more.

my special edition CD just arrived, a day ahead of time! bravo amazon. have to say it looks gorgeous... easily her best packaged record since SW.

{edit} she thanks Rosie Craig (lead in the Light Princess) "for the fire and the truth". I like that.
    Last edited by JamieC; 05-11-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antisaint View Post
    I miss this myself, and I don't think I'll truly ever accept it, but I'm thinking there's just no reason to count on that ever happening again. I think "Strong Black Vine" was probably the closest we've gotten to a truly aggressive vocal from Tori, and that song was one big FAIL in my book. She's cleaned up her singing style and removed all of the... realness, I guess out of it, and I think she wants her albums to sound that way, clean and neat and filtered. Main reason I can't really hack 'Gold Dust,' aside from certain quieter songs where those super-pristine vocals work. She gives it up in the live shows, she's clearly capable of it, but she chooses not to on albums any more.
    I don't want her to growl her way through songs just for the sake of it. Live is another matter, that's much more in the moment, so to speak.

And Tori's vocal style has always changed between albums. UTP for instance is much more controlled (except for a few moments here and there) than say BFP which is by far Tori's most mannered album vocally.

It's a decent album for sure, but none of the songs grap me by the throat. Most songs just blend together and it's nice background music, but nothing really stands out for me.

I just can't listen to Dixie with my eyes closed.

[too good]

P.S. Haven't heard Forest of Glass yet, so still holding out hope for that one.
    I'm saving that for when I actually get the CD! Haven't heard Dixie either.

Everytime I hear dixie I just need to call my mum to tell her that I love her. Oh, what Im gonna do without my mum.

This song just hits me so hard in my most emotional part. Im just happy that I will be able to hold her hand for many years still. Now Im going to do it more than ever. Hold her hand. And my dad´s one too. But I still havent listened a one by tori about dad hehehe.
    Last edited by datura1452; 05-11-2014 at 09:28 AM.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I think she's singing more tamely for voice health reasons too. You just can't sing like she did on bfp for a long time without totally fucking up your voice. Also, with age the voice gets thinner, belting gets much more difficult to control and it's more physically demanding than the classic singing style she's using nowadays. I also miss her powerful and visceral singing, but I don’t think we're going to get more of it.

Sent from my GT-I8260 using Tapatalk
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I´ve said it before. She´s not that old to have suffered in her voice. I think what´s happened to her voice is because of the bad and irreponsible use its given through the years. This of course, IMO, but that´s what I´ve learnt in my music classes since I was a child.

Her voice has recovered a lot in the las 3 years. We could see a better improvement in some years to come. Other thing is the angry factor. Maybe that does not come back just for the sake of her health. We still can have some moments of that I guess.

I guess she's not going all Pele or Scarlet on her voice because she doesn't want to ruin it again. I think she's worked hard during NoH to recover her voice and it's probably more fragile nowadays because she's older, and she wants to save it for longer. Better tame and simple vocals now than another Wampum Prayer a la 2009.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Am I the only one who does NOT want to hear BFP-style freakouts again? I used to love, for example, Precious Things from the RAINN show, because at the time I saw it as the purest artistic expression. Now when I see that performance, I see a woman who doesn't have it together and is possibly looking for validation from her audience. A few songs from that concert are kind of embarrassing to me now.

But it's really hard for me to say where the line is between good and bad freakouts, because I LOVE Pretty Good Year from that same show, and she does get a little crazy with it. I also love Walk to Dublin, Voodoo and Widow, three of her shriekiest album tracks.

I don't know what I'm saying. :P All I know is, I find Tori more impressive when she's whipping out incredible melodies and harmonies, because nobody really writes like she does. The crazy stuff is a bonus, not the backbone.

I think her voice sounds much better on this album than it did on ADP-AATS-MWG-NOH-GD. It sounds richer and it does help that the way her voice is mixed is much better as well. I mean compared to something like Bouncing off Clouds the vocals don't have this compressed, up front quality. Also I don't think any of the songs on Unrepentant Geraldines would be benefit from a more visceral singing ala Boys For Pele. It's the first time in years I'm fine with the vocals and I'm loving that there is lots of space in this..

By the way about all the ''tame'' vocal discussion I wouldn't say her vocals are exactly tame now just because she doesn't have BFP style freakouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Am I the only one who does NOT want to hear BFP-style freakouts again? I used to love, for example, Precious Things from the RAINN show, because at the time I saw it as the purest artistic expression. Now when I see that performance, I see a woman who doesn't have it together and is possibly looking for validation from her audience. A few songs from that concert are kind of embarrassing to me now.
    Well, she did suffer a miscarriage like 3 weeks before the RAINN show, so I think the emotion in that show is pretty genuine. But she definitely used her voice for effect during the Dew Drop In Tour in general.