Page 84 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2726

Thread: Unrepentant Geraldines: your reviews and impressions

!Yepa, Yepa, Arriba, Ándale! pepiux's Avatar
    Can see why she did not include Forest of Glass, but damn it's definitely one of the best ones. Love the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Am I the only one who does NOT want to hear BFP-style freakouts again? I used to love, for example, Precious Things from the RAINN show, because at the time I saw it as the purest artistic expression. Now when I see that performance, I see a woman who doesn't have it together and is possibly looking for validation from her audience. A few songs from that concert are kind of embarrassing to me now.

But it's really hard for me to say where the line is between good and bad freakouts, because I LOVE Pretty Good Year from that same show, and she does get a little crazy with it. I also love Walk to Dublin, Voodoo and Widow, three of her shriekiest album tracks.

I don't know what I'm saying. :P All I know is, I find Tori more impressive when she's whipping out incredible melodies and harmonies, because nobody really writes like she does. The crazy stuff is a bonus, not the backbone.
    Yeah I can't watch the NY performances now, especially when I know she was in pain. I wouldn't wish another BFP on her, that's for sure.

I typed this out and mr. soignee read it over my shoulder due to nosey, so I explained about the record company making her perform while she was ill and showed him the Live From NY stuff as he was interested. His first reaction was "yeah okay I see," as soon as Leather came on and she stopped, slumped over the keys and waved, and did the "so a funny thing about this song, the first person I performed it to is in the audience, so ha," bit.

His second reaction was, "why do people scream at a Tori Amos concert? It's like screaming at a blues concert." Tell me about it, boo :/

I really don't understand the dislike towards Rose Dover. That song stood out to me straight away. It's both dark and light in sound. Maybe it'll grow on some people.

im not sure if im allowed to ask for this. so if not. sorry mods. feel free to remove. but i was wondering if someone would be willing to share the digital booklet with me. as im only buying physicals and not downloading, but i would love a copy of it.

xx

moved into a trailer park thunderpanda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starling View Post
    im not sure if im allowed to ask for this. so if not. sorry mods. feel free to remove. but i was wondering if someone would be willing to share the digital booklet with me. as im only buying physicals and not downloading, but i would love a copy of it.

xx
    If you go back quite a few pages in the thread, you'll find them all posted. They've already been shared on here. I'm sorry I can't remember which page, but you'll find it.

Just watched precious things from that NYC video for the first time and I don't ever need to watch or hear it again. I remember making my family watch it when it came out #awkward !!!

Do you know where I can find the Dixie lyrics? .
    Last edited by datura1452; 05-11-2014 at 11:50 AM.

What I think the Dixie lyrics are:

grab your coat and those things
    without any fingers the peach ones
    that keep you warm in a Southern winter
    Off I go
    Window-shopping with my mom

We'll go whistlin' dixie down the lane
    So who cares
    our purse is almost empty

and the richest girl in Dixie Land
    Look away
    Look again
    She is still holding my hand
    Holding my hand

Grab your coat
    The cloudy blue one
    With the stripey buttons
    That keeps you warm in a Southern winter
    Off I go
    Window-shopping with my mom

We'll go whistlin' dixie down the lane
    So who cares
    our purse is almost empty

and the richest girl in Dixie Land
    Look away
    Look again
    Holding my hand

Look away
    Look again
    Holding my hand

I'M CRYING NOW ARE YOU HAPPY

Thank you soignee.

Its so pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    I really don't understand the dislike towards Rose Dover. That song stood out to me straight away. It's both dark and light in sound. Maybe it'll grow on some people.
    I feel the same.
    I actually really love this one - which makes this now an album where I like every song and LOVE the majority. Wow it's been so long!

If I could cut out the "just because you're growing up - you don't have to throw it all away" part I think it'd be awesome. I LOVE THE part right after the "I've been thinking maybe" part, and I love the "happy was Rose Dover" part too.

Quote Originally Posted by datura1452 View Post
    Thank you soignee.

Its so pretty.
    Perhaps the origins of it seem to spring from this '07 improv:

Especially in the "look away..." parts.

All I know that what with the Mother's Day stuff everywhere (even though UK/Sweden have different dates for it) and this song, it makes me miss my mum terribly. I've certainly done my fair share of window shopping with my ma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It is hard to watch. However, it is still my favorite performance by anyone ever, and the pair of balls it took for her to go out there and do that on stage is remarkable. Most people would have cancelled. No one would call Kurt Cobain's performance on Unplugged "embarrassing" - which happened just months before he committed suicide. It is clear watching it now that this was a depressed and struggling individual. It doesn't make it any less brilliant. There's always a little undercurrent of misogyny (not from you obviously) when people talk about that show that sets my teeth on edge. The show is punk. It's performance art.

I think when she tries to manufacture that though (i.e. smegma cunt, Strong Black Fail etc) - it shows.
    Double post time, as this is a damn good point I can't let slide.

This is a really fair comment; I am coming from a (and excuse me while I sprinkle you with dust from wings when I say this) "I don't want to see a person I like suffer" point of view, not a "this is an embarrassment" one.

One day, maybe I can watch it and deal with the rawness of it again; but I have too much empathy (I do cry at just about anything, rather embarrassingly. I was getting teary eyed over Eurovision last night- Eurovision) and I just can't seem to hold onto and willingly process that level of emotion any more like I used to when I was younger.

So, about the album.. Had a couple of listens these days, but shitty low quality rip obviously doesn't really help this. Genuinely pleased with the songs and overall tone, though. The title track is one of her best ever IMO, both parts. I'm waiting for the HQ to give a more detailed review, but this era sure looks and sounds so unexpectedly good!

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    This is a really fair comment; I am coming from a (and excuse me while I sprinkle you with dust from wings when I say this) "I don't want to see a person I like suffer" point of view, not a "this is an embarrassment" one.
    I'm coming from there too!!! I think I edited too much of my original post if that wasn't clear. I get no thrill from performances like that, knowing just how REAL they are. It's the polar opposite of Strong Black Fail. ("PUSH MOTHERFUCKER!!!" wtf, Tori? are you taking a dump?)

and I don't think Kurt Cobain's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" is quite on the same level as "Precious Things" '97. Kurt's performance was intense, Tori's was EXTREME.

For those listening on iTunes, what equalizer setting are you using? I was using 'Pop', but find some songs sound bass heavy - the high "turn" parts in Oysters goes crackly!