Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist Bendy-Bus.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    Because idk, he was sick of people drawing him and getting his ears wrong or something.
    Maybe he was just really really fugly

But remember, they don't kill people for drawing Mohammed. They do it for being insensitive.

Did you guys hear Prince Charles going on about how Islam is "green" and other anti-science/Noble Savage-esque bullshit?

requisite Hitchens article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2256915/?from=rss

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    Last night I was watching the local news, and apparently there is a bit of an uproar about a new billboard that was just put up on I-35 near Austin:

It's not that far from my house actually!

Anydoodle...the billboard was put up by the Austin Coalition of Reason: http://austin.unitedcor.org

About them:
    "The Austin Coalition of Reason (AustinCoR) is collection of non-dogmatic rationalist and freethinker groups in the greater Austin area.

We invite you to explore all the groups, which are listed under the Member Groups tab above. Find one or two that interest you the most, and contact them. You’re sure to find a group of interesting people who are engaged in the world around them and who live meaningful, fulfilling lives based on reason and compassion."

I saw that on Friendly Atheist last night. Those billboards get vandalised all over the States (most recently North Carolina), but I'm expecting this one to actually get burnt down. Didn't the new Texas Republican platform, supporting the criminalisation of oral sex, get passed this week? Amazing. (Edit: Yes, it did!)

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of any of the Atheist ads getting defaced over here, which I think is basically an indicator that the true nutters in the UK just can't read.

It would be too non-PC to deface an athiest poster over here, and kids find it too funny to let a we love jesus poster go without it being scribbled out into we love <expletive>
    GSV Tarendai

Didn't the new Texas Republican platform, supporting the criminalisation of oral sex, get passed this week? Amazing. (Edit: Yes, it did!)
    I'm not finding any proof of that in here: http://static.texastribune.org/media...Y_PLATFORM.pdf

But I wouldn't put it past them! There is something in there about banning sodomy. There are lots of horrible, ridiculous things in there.

Huh. I've been swindled! Wonder why BB ran with the oral sex thing, they're usually pretty reliable.

Well I certainly hope they don't ban oral sex in Texas! I'd be one angry bitch if they did! > : O

Boo-hooing about Dawkins' comments regarding "atheist schools":

He was asked by one commenter:

"What would you say to parents of children who attend quite orthodox state-funded schools who are very anxious that their child be educated within that context? I am thinking specifically of the ortho-Jewish schools around my way (north London). I know for a fact a lot of these parents cannot countenance the idea of their child being educated within a non-Jewish school. What do you think they should do?"

His response was:

"That's a good point. I believe this is putting parental rights above children's rights."

It is impossible to read this as meaning anything but that children have a right to be educated as Richard Dawkins thinks fit, but not as their parents do.
    Well actually it is not impossible to read that as meaning anything but. I read it as suggesting, rightly in my opinion, that it is putting a parent's rights above a child's to instruct said child to believe in fairy stories, and to teach them to placate a vengeful god for an eternal reward rather than develop an actual system of morality.

But maybe I'm wrong, I might just be sensitive about it because I was unknowingly baptised at birth and pretty much emotionally blackmailed into Confirmation, so I might not be the best person to ask. Is it unreasonable to believe children should be educated in a non-religious environment, encouraged to question rather than mindlessly accept?

Huh. I've been swindled! Wonder why BB ran with the oral sex thing, they're usually pretty reliable.
    Sodomy includes oral sex. It's basically anything besides penis-vagina sex.

Really? Wow. That's good to know, thanks!

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eednic View Post
    Well I certainly hope they don't ban oral sex in Texas! I'd be one angry bitch if they did! > : O
    WAIT NO ONE HAS SAID

YET? I HOPE YOU ARE ALL A SHAMED.

I think this is all the evidence we need for the outlawing of faith-based education:

From Pharyngula

Also, despite being atheist, Welsh and ginger, Julia Gillard is a dick.

"We believe the marriage act is appropriate in its current form, that is recognising that marriage is between a man and a woman, but we have as a government taken steps to equalise treatment for gay couples," Ms Gillard said.

Asked if that was also her personal view, Ms Gillard said it was.
    This makes no sense to me.

Sounds like she's pandering to certain people trying to avoid answering the question.

I think Dawkins is right here as well ( and he tends to be right, infuriatingly so ), parents who wish to push their religion on their child are being immoral, regardless of whether their religion is correct. It warps their view of their religion, and damages their well being, and deprives them of a choice of belief or disbelief, that a lot will never manage to question later on in life as others do.
    GSV Tarendai