Thread: Tori on Kate

Tori on Kate

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/tori-amo...ew-2014-noisey

Are you excited about Kate Bush’s return?
    Yeah, how exciting! I think it’s really thrilling that she’s going to be playing live.

Will you be going?
    I’ll be in the States touring.

What a shame!
    Exactly, yeah.

Why do you think she’s playing again after all these years?
    I don’t know. It’s not an easy task, to not have played live for 35 years, and to go out at 50-something and go do it. I think that takes a lot of bravery and commitment. I tour pretty much every other year and I’m telling you right now, it’s quite something to get prepared for a show, whether you do one or 80, you still have to prepare for that, so the fact that she hasn’t done it for so long, and that she is going to do it is motivational for everyone and women of all ages.

Well, unless she's about to announce that the US leg of the tour will be extended through September, she could go if she wanted to

That was awesome on Tori's part. What great perspectives.

That's wonderful to read, thanks for posting. She replies with great grace and goodwill I think. I guess Tori just hasn't had time to get into the Kate ticket scramble what with the small matter of her own world tour to think about...!

Gareth

I really love how respectful Tori is of Kate's work and legacy. She always sounds like a real fan and accepts the comparisons (even the far-fetched ones made by the media) graciously. I only wish Kate would speak about Tori at some point - it would be lovely to get her perspective as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Neutral View Post
    I only wish Kate would speak about Tori at some point - it would be lovely to get her perspective as well.
    That's been nearly broached before in interviews and not positively.

Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    That's been nearly broached before in interviews and not positively.
    Yes, I remember a passive aggressive statement about her having only heard one song which was "nice" or something to that effect... But, still, this was right before Kate took a break from music and Tori's career was just starting, so it makes sense that KB wasn't really familiar with Tori's stuff. I'd be really interested in seeing what she has to say now.

I don't think she wants to talk about Tori Amos, and why should she have to? This was from a Kate interview in Q Magazine around the time Aerial came out:

Who's your favourite artist of the last 20 years?
    I like Anthony [Hegarty] of Anthony & The Johnsons. I think he's brave and I like that. And I like... um...

Tori Amos?
    [Silence]

Just joking.
    [Laughs] I took a deep breath there. Can I just say Rolf Harris and leave it at that?
    That's probably the best you'll get.

^Ya, that's the interview I referring to in the previous post.

I remember that interview. I was annoyed that the interviewer interrupted her because it would have been nice to hear her answer in full.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

[Laughs] I took a deep breath there. Can I just say Rolf Harris and leave it at that?

That's probably the best you'll get.
    Ouch. I want Aerial on vinyl so very much but can't bear RH, even before conviction. I wonder if she'd feel artistically torn about remastering him off?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't think she wants to talk about Tori Amos, and why should she have to?
    I never said that she has to talk about her. Just that it would be nice to have a quote from her on the subject. Looks like she's not a fan. Oh well.

Kate has said some really dumb things in the past about feminism. Of course the only quotes I can find are from the mid-eighties! She seems to think it's all about angry women behaving just as badly as men do. That the sexes should try to help each other out, rather than tear each other down. Now, I don't think Tori Amos is the best example of a feminist either, because it seems to me she cares too much what men think of her, but if Kate is familiar with Tori (and that's a big if) I'll bet she takes a deep breath when she hears the angry break-up songs or the "stop patriarchy" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Bush
    I would like to think that there is actually a very strong force of women who believe we should have equal opportunities, be able to work, be treated nicely without any threat, all of that. And not necessarily come on with ``We hate men - Off with your balls!'' Do you know what I mean? And I think there are lots of women who are starting to really do it properly. Look at comedy. I think comedy in this country is incredible. The best. It really is, it's superb. I suppose a lot of it is negatively based, but it still is superb, and just streets ahead of anyone else in the world. But, I think women have been used so much in comedy. Either there's something really hideous and ugly that's meant to be attractive, and then when it's hideous and ugly everyone goes ``aah!", or there's Benny Hill's cutie-pies that don't speak. But now there's a revolution in comedy which involves women in a much more interesting way. They're not being used as women, they're not really pretty or really ugly, they're just people. [she means they're not being objectified] I think that really says a lot. And it's nice to see that, because so often I think women are pandered to. Like: a couple of years ago there was a trend of these feminist programmes that were meant to be for women, and they were all basically anti-men jokes. And all the women I knew thought they were horrific. It was totally insulting and unfunny. Yet women were presumed to laugh at this. Women came on and told jokes just as sexist as the men's. But it seems to have changed. It's women - Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders, Tracey Ullman - it's women, real women." (1985, Hot Press)

I think Kate is all about true equality rather than drawing the battle lines. To be fair to her, there were some really men-hating feminists in the 80s, who were all about disposing with men entirely, and it was probably those she was reacting against. Although there is that cringeworthy quote where she talks with distaste about "butch lesbians"! She didn't really need to make feminist statements when she was making so many feminist choices in her career. Her actions spoke louder than her words.