Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The GOP Deathwatch Thread

The GOP Deathwatch Thread

New Republican Agenda, Or The Lack Of One, Divides Party

It's not easy crafting an agenda for the fall elections. Just ask Republicans in Congress. They set up a website to solicit ideas, only to see liberals flood it with distinctly un-Republican suggestions. When Republicans invited the public to rank proposals online, critics lampooned the effort for small-bore notions such as ending a federal program for "historic whaling partners."

Republicans don't even agree on whether they need a new agenda.

With voters so divided over President Barack Obama's health care and spending initiatives, some think the GOP needs only a plausible job-creation platform and a staunchly anti-Obama stand on nearly everything else.

Amid the indecision, Democrats keep linking Republican candidates to the last GOP president, George W. Bush. In their view, the absence of a clear-cut GOP agenda for 2010 makes it easier to do that...

...The push for a new Republican agenda is stronger in the House than the Senate.

Last month, House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio and his lieutenants launched "America Speaking Out," a public outreach campaign involving an interactive website and town hall meetings with GOP lawmakers. Its stated purpose is to provide people with "a new platform to share their priorities and ideas for a national policy agenda."

Thousands of people posted ideas or voted on their favorite suggestions. But the project's usefulness in shaping a Republican agenda is questionable.

Last week, the top five entries in the "Liberty and Freedom" category were: ban handguns, "drop the idea that we're a 'Christian' country," declare abortion "none of the government's business," allow gays to serve openly in the military and legalize marijuana.

Republican leaders mentioned none of these when they began highlighting proposals from the project. Instead, Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., called for numerous spending cuts, including canceling unspent stimulus dollars and freezing government pay raises....

more at the link...

GOP's 'Young Guns' Actually Not So Young: Average Age Just Under 50

Not everything comes as advertised in the GOP. Take the National Republican Congressional Committee's "Young Guns" program, for example. Advertised as a program "dedicated to identifying, recruiting, and mobilizing a new generation of conservative leaders," the Daily Beast reports Friday that the average age of these supposed "Young Guns" is nearly 50...

...More than half of the Young Guns, having celebrated the big 5-0, are already eligible for an AARP membership. Only two of the group's designated candidates--Martha Roby, who is running for Alabama's 2nd District, and district attorney-cum-reality-television star Sean Duffy, who is running for the open seat in Wisconsin's 7th District--are under the age of 40.

RNC Funding At Historic Low

A new internal document from the Republican National Committee is bad news for the GOP, which appears to be in financial hot water in the run-up to a November midterm elections.

According to the report, obtained by CNN, the RNC had $12.5 million in cash on hand at the end of April, the lowest total for this month at any point during the last five elections cycles. (The report shows that the April average from the previous eight years was $40.4 million cash on hand)...

...CNN points out that the fundraising numbers of prior election cycles must be considered with the knowledge that the RNC benefited heavily from having a Republican in the White House, and, until 2006, controlling both the United States House and Senate.

Teehee!

Okay, it's not demon sheep, but it's still pretty good.

I never thought about love when I thought about home

THAT'S NOT A SPOOF?!??

Why would I assume that because she can shoot a gun, that she'd make a good politician?

You know what I hate about these types of commercials... is how they always say "The government isn't working. I don't like government. However, I want to work for this unworking government."

Another thing that bugs me is we keep hearing about people coming up with their own money to run for office. One woman supposedly put up $75 million toward her campaign. So WTF? You have $75 million and you want to work some crap government job? When you have that kind of capital at your back, I have a hard time believing you're being altruistic.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelle View Post
    You know what I hate about these types of commercials... is how they always say "The government isn't working. I don't like government. However, I want to work for this unworking government."
    What they really mean is "The government is weak. I can use the government to my advantage. Once elected, I will crush you all".

John Boner Boehner is an orange fool.

Video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#38009339

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review today that he would support raising the Social Security retirement age to 70 to help pay for the war in Afghanistan.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I'm sure all the boomers below retirement age will vote for him now.

It's for people 50 and under now that the retirement age would be raised.

So he'll get the self-interested, war mongering elderly folks vote at least.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    That's flippin' forty more years for me to work, and that's insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post

Okay, it's not demon sheep, but it's still pretty good.
    So I know nothing about this woman other than:

1. she's a Christian.
    2. she likes guns. a lot.
    3. she hates taxes.

Nothing about her education, experience, no mention of any new or unique ideas... just a Barbie doll with a tommy gun. Apparently, that's ok with people? Thank you, Sarah Palin, for inspiring this wretched political model.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 07-03-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Michael Steele says Afghanistan is Obama's war

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39324.html
    Last edited by Octopussy; 07-03-2010 at 03:56 PM.

^ update: N/M

it wasn't a gaffe, it's an actual policy shift to coincide with the rise of the Ron Paul/isolationist GOP majority. Republicans want out of Afghanistan! Boo Obama and his war.

Jon Kyl: Extend tax cuts for the wealthy! (But don't extend those expensive unemployment benefits.)

Top Senate Republican Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) insisted on Sunday that Congress should extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans regardless of their impact on the deficit, even as he and other Republicans are blocking unemployment insurance extensions over deficit concerns.

"[Y]ou should never raise taxes in order to cut taxes," said the Arizona Senator during an appearance on Fox News Sunday. "Surely Congress has the authority, and it would be right to -- if we decide we want to cut taxes to spur the economy, not to have to raise taxes in order to offset those costs. You do need to offset the cost of increased spending, and that's what Republicans object to. But you should never have to offset cost of a deliberate decision to reduce tax rates on Americans."

White House aides immediately seized on the comments. Press Secretary Robert Gibbs wrote on Twitter, "Kyl says wealthy need big Bush tax cuts while middle class families are on their own to fend for themselves as a result of Bush economy."

In private, administration officials say that the framing of the argument couldn't be more advantageous: "It's cutting taxes for the wealthy and letting the unemployed to fend for themselves," said one White House ally.

"If all of this has a familiar ring to it, it's because unpaid for tax cuts for the rich at the expense of working people is the same backward policy Republicans used to put the nation in this hole, and it's the same policy they promise to return to if put in a position of power again," added Hari Sevugan, press secretary for the Democratic National Committee.

Asked to expand on his tweets, Gibbs declined comment, save to clarify that "the question [host Chris] Wallace specifically asked Kyl was [about] the upper end of the Bush tax cuts (above $250,000)."

But the politics already are fairly obvious. For the past few months, congressional Republicans have demanded that any additional spending be offset by budget cuts or revenue increases elsewhere. Also on Sunday, White House senior adviser David Axelrod blamed deficit concerns for the difficulty in finding a 60th vote in the Senate for unemployment benefits even though, as of Friday, 2.1 million people have not received checks that they were expecting in June.

And yet, Kyl is now suggesting that the same budget rules shouldn't apply with respect to tax cuts for the wealthy, which are set to expire unless Congress acts to renew them. As Steve Benen at the Washington Monthly notes:

It's quite a message to Americans: Republicans believe $30 billion for unemployment benefits don't even deserve a vote because the money would be added to the deficit, but Republicans also believe that adding the cost of $678 billion in tax cuts for the wealthy to the deficit is just fine.

Kyl is one of the most prominent members of Congress to advance the argument that jobless benefits make people not want to look for work, a position disputed by economists across the political spectrum. Unemployment insurance "doesn't create new jobs. In fact, if anything, continuing to pay people unemployment compensation is a disincentive for them to seek new work," Kyl said last March on the Senate floor.