Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: The GOP Deathwatch Thread

Several people see that coming.

Affair? Russia collusion? Hmmmmm. There's a rumor that a big WaPo story is in the pipeline for tomorrow. Maybe it's related?

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Several people see that coming.

Affair? Russia collusion? Hmmmmm. There's a rumor that a big WaPo story is in the pipeline for tomorrow. Maybe it's related?
    CDAN had a blind item about a politician's affair about to come to light and then today he retweeted someone asking if it was Chaffetz without saying it was Chaffetz.

I guess Chaffetz said he might not finish his term earlier today, but made it sound more far off into it, not like within 24 hours.

Not really news, but who doesn't love a good owning of Ted Cruz by Al Franken?

Ho-lee shit. The Republican candidate in the special Congressional election in Montana (a seat the Democrats really, really want to flip) just physically attacked a Guardian reporter covering the race. Chris Hayes is covering it right now. He played an audiotape of the incident, and it is FREAKY. It's up on the Guardian site now.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I've been following on Twitter. They said cops were involved but that the candidate left the scene. Shouldn't he be arrested?

The GOP savaged the character of the Democratic candidate and he was still ahead. This should take him over the finish line. We need to send that reporter some flowers.

So the R's team released a statement saying the reporter started it. Unfortunately for them, the reporter's account was corroborated.

By a team from FOX.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I'm reading reports that say there was a lot of early voting in Montana, so I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I'm reading reports that say there was a lot of early voting in Montana, so I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.
    No, but it's going to make it at least a lot closer. And not everyone early votes, so it's a huge who knows in a state they were saying is really hard to poll on a good day. I guess too that the Rs blocked D's attempts to make the whole state mail-in ballots, which would have made it even more likely people would have already voted.

If the D wins, that's some own-petard-hoisting I can get behind.

And let's say the R wins and by some miracle charges are brought against him and HE steps down... what then? Another special election or does someone appoint a replacement?

I've read 60%, others said only 37%. Which is true? But there is also same day registration, so fingers crossed.

And apparently he wasn't arrested because the sheriff is one of his campaign donors. Because of course.

There's also a problem with how vulnerable the voting machines nationwide are to interference.

As millions pour into Georgia’s congressional runoff, the voting machinery is among the worst in America

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/16/as-m...iable_partner/

The problem of unverifiable election results transcends Georgia’s state lines. Georgia is one of five states that use primarily touch screen machines (also known as DREs for direct record electronic) with no paper trail. New Jersey (a swing state), Delaware, Louisiana, and South Carolina all use voting equipment that relies 100 percent on computer totals and keep no paper record of how the voter actually voted.
    In Maryland, we went from touch screens to paper ballots just before last year's election, and that made the lines much longer, because most people were taken by surprise and had to have help using them.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true, as I'm not a MT lawyer, but would it surprise anyone?

And I don't know what we're going to do as a country. Trumpism is a symptom of a very bad case of tribalism and ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    And I don't know what we're going to do as a country. Trumpism is a symptom of a very bad case of tribalism and ignorance.
    That's what I've been wondering a lot about ever since the campaign. It seems to me that the GOP is turning into a party of all-out authoritarians. I've thought that ever since the chants of "LOCK HER UP!" during the election... You could feel that they meant it, even if he didn't.

It's very disturbing, it's been a long time coming, and I don't know what the endgame of it is for your country's democratic traditions.

Five fresh setbacks for Republicans, who just can’t catch a break

Gianforte charged with assault.

"A Fox News crew was in the room when it happened, and veteran correspondent Alicia Acuna has written a damning first-person account:
    “Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. At no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte.”"

"But he is a grown man responsible for his own actions; this has nothing to do with the precedents the president has established" whine all the trump trolls

getting away with bad behavior is a-okay in the USA as long as you're "Merican"
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm