Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: The GOP Deathwatch Thread

I'm just fishing, I posted this elsewhere. I there really no hope?

Why Trump’s Inauguration is Not the Beginning of an Era — but the End

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Indiana bill would allow police to shut down protests 'by any means necessary'

A bill that would require public officials in Indiana to dispatch law enforcement swiftly to remove any protesters blocking traffic by “any means necessary” prompted uproar on Wednesday.

Opponents of the bill, introduced by a Republican state senator, rushed to the general assembly in Indianapolis on Wednesday afternoon to attend a hearing for the legislation, arguing that it could give a green light to the police to shut down protests harshly “even to the point of costing lives”.
    Maybe I should be putting such outrageous bullshit in the DNC deathwatch thread, since apparently they're a bunch of spineless cowards not doing what we need and stopping this crap, or at least trying to.

Northern Michigan Republican calls for “another Kent State” to deal with campus protesters

On Facebook, Adamini wrote, “The violent protests at our universities certainly indicates Portage acacian at the lower level. I’m thinking another Kent State might be the only solution protest stopped after only one death. They do it because they know there are no consequences yet.”

Turns out “Portage acacian” means “poor education” according to Adamini.

He also tweeted under his handle @DanAdamini, “Violent protesters who shut down free speech?Time for another Kent State perhaps. One bullet stops a lot of thuggery.”

Adamini, who runs a radio show called “In the Right Mind” and has since deleted the Facebook post and the tweet, claims it was all just a poorly worded attempt at calling for an end to the campus protests. This is a blatant lie, of course. There’s no way you can misinterpret what he was saying. It wasn’t subtle. If he was calling to end to protests before someone gets hurt, he could simply have said that. Instead he believes “another Kent State might be the only solution” and that it’s “time for another Kent State perhaps.”

Adamini is the same guy, by the way, who recently tweeted that Congressman John Lewis’s statement that he doesn’t see Donald Trump as a legitimate president is due to “too many blows to the Head during protests”:

Of course, regular protesters are being blamed for the violence in Berkeley the other night. Actually, it was black bloc anarchists. Righties seem to think they're the same.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Of course, regular protesters are being blamed for the violence in Berkeley the other night. Actually, it was black bloc anarchists. Righties seem to think they're the same.
    I mean it was the same basically. And it seems the police let them light the fire so the school could shut the event down. And thank fucking God they did because Milo was going to out a bunch of undocumented students.

Never Believe the Republicans’ B.S. Ever Again

It is through events like Benghazi that we see just how paper-thin the GOP’s commitments to its most defining ideals really are. What Republicans have held forth as fundamental principles are, thanks to Trump’s election, revealed as hollow bromides and shibboleths. Trump will likely be president for at least four years; but starting now, and through the eventual end of GOP rule, we never have to take Republican sanctimony at face value again, and their phoniness ought to be a commanding narrative of the Trump era.

Hypocrisy is a third-rate political crime. But it isn’t just that conservatives apply different standards to different politicians on the basis of partisan affiliation; it’s that their appeals to like-minded voters are fraudulent. National security, rule of law, and religious faith are supposed to be central facets of conservative identity. Presumably some Republican voters around the country are genuinely motivated by conservative views on these issues. For the time being, it’s up to Democrats and the media to make clear to these voters that the GOP’s commitment to their principles is illusory.

But eventually Trump’s presidency will end, and just as quickly as they abandoned these pieties, Republicans will try to reclaim them. It will be a major failure of politics, and perhaps also the media, if they succeed in doing so. Republicans outed themselves when they submitted to Trump, and they can’t be allowed to pretend it never happened.

Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up run for senate.

Kid Rock—whose real name is Bob Ritchie, and whose actual chances of becoming a member of our nation’s legislative branch were recently upgraded to “Fuck it”—was named at a recent Michigan Republican Party convention, by a bunch of gleeful, giggling children who no longer have to pretend to work, as a contender for the seat currently occupied by Democrat Debbie Stabenow. Stabenow has held that office since 2000, having worked her way up through the Michigan state legislature, presided over the Michigan House of Representatives, and unsuccessfully run for governor in 1994, before serving first in the national House of Representatives, then the Senate. During her tenure, Stabenow has chaired both the Senate Agriculture Committee and the Senate Democratic Policy Committee, been a vocal advocate for health care reform, and introduced legislation that protected lands granted to displaced Native Americans and banned drilling in the Great Lakes.

On the other hand, Kid Rock has written rap-rock songs such as “Cowboy” and “American Bad Ass” that have given many Americans something to blare from their trucks while they drive them through mud for fun, then have Coors Light-fueled fistfights about who’s gay. Naturally, Mr. Rock has become increasingly politically active over the years, and recently laid out his political platform by selling T-shirts that read, “God Guns & Trump” and “_onald Trump: The ‘D’ Is Missing Because It’s In Every Hater’s Mouth.” Truly, he is the Cicero of our hot-‘n’-ready Little Caesar’s age, and if he runs he will absolutely win, because we fucking deserve this.

Watch McConnell get told. 19 seconds of him getting screamed at with a smug, vacuous look on his face.

He had also set it up so you could only get in if you had RSPVd [sic], didn't have a sign. Fucking turtle-faced coward.

Watching him get yelled at will be the highlight of my day, I'm sure.

I saw that. It was awesome. I loved how she ended with the burn about Elizabeth Warren.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

There aren't any stories out quite yet, but there is a lot of chatter about the new ACA replacement. I don't know if it's trying to be a distraction from the Sessions stuff, but it feels like it's coincidental crazy. Rumor has it it's locked in a room only CERTAIN republicans can see (eg NOT Rand Paul), guarded. People go to the room and are told it's not there. It feels so desperate and sad.

Aha. Here's a link.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Ok I will freely admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but what does the House Energy and Commerce Committee have to do with health care? What kind of bullshit is this - secret rooms etc.?
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

^ Are you Unforumzedvagueposting? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking about but I Googled anyway, it's a reflexive action.

House Energy and Commerce Committee

Health
    Jurisdiction:
    Public health and quarantine; hospital construction; mental health; biomedical research and development; health information technology, privacy, and cybersecurity; public health insurance (Medicare, Medicaid) and private health insurance; medical malpractice and medical malpractice insurance; the regulation of food, drugs, and cosmetics; drug abuse; the Department of Health and Human Services; the National Institutes of Health; the Centers for Disease Control; Indian Health Service; and all aspects of the above-referenced jurisdiction related to the Department of Homeland Security.

Graham: Require 2020 candidates to release tax returns

Sen. Lindsey Graham said Wednesday he wants all presidential candidates to be required by law to release their tax returns, starting in 2020.

The South Carolina Republican said his proposal would include Donald Trump if the president seeks reelection.

“I think that prospectively what I'll do is, any candidate running in 2020 needs to release their tax returns,” Graham told reporters. Asked how he would enforce this, he responded: “You just make it a law.” He then explained that the law would apply to Trump, “if he’s a candidate for president” in 2020.
    This is great. And his and McCain's hammering is great. HOWEVER, it's not enough. They keep voting for nominees and tacitly supporting Trump things, while at the same time going to non-FOX sites to appear moderate and reasonable to moderates and liberals. I'll take their crumbs, but they're not heroes.

Republicans are nervous about a race in one of the reddest states. Not because the GOP candidate is expected to lose, but because of how much he might win by.

13/Hillary Clinton was destroyed in some of the lightly populated counties of KS-04 (13% in Barber, 15% in Harper). Even Sedgewick, the most

14/...Dem county in the district (and most populated) Clinton lost by almost 20 points. Republicans are worried they may lose this seat.

15/The Dem candidate is probably doing a good job, bymut he's raised almost no money, & nobody had spent any on his behalf. Why would.

16/...anyone spend in a district that Republican? Which gets to the Repubs being screwed. If they're worried about a district Trump won...

17/...by 27 points-- Twenty! Seven! Points! --they shouldn't take for granted any district in America. Now, to be clear, it's very...

18/...unlikely Dem Jim Thompson beats Repub state treasurer Ron Estes. That's not a negative on Thompson. It's just almost impossible...

19/...to win a seat that strong for the other party. But Thompson doesn't need to win for this to be an omen for 2018. If Thompson is...

20/...within 15 points, it's bad for the Repubs. If it's within 10--with Dems having spent nothing--we need to go big in 2018. If this...

21/...race is close, that means there may be between 75 & 100 GOP-held seats that the GOP can't take for granted. Please let that happen/

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Republicans are nervous about a race in one of the reddest states. Not because the GOP candidate is expected to lose, but because of how much he might win by.
    It was even closer than the most optimistic projections

It's a long way off from 2018 and who doesn't trust that the Dems will find a way to fuck it up, but it's nice to have a little bit of a comfort right now. If red red red districts are CLOSE, red-leaning and swing districts are going to be in play.