Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: The GOP Deathwatch Thread

I saw that. It was awesome. I loved how she ended with the burn about Elizabeth Warren.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    There aren't any stories out quite yet, but there is a lot of chatter about the new ACA replacement. I don't know if it's trying to be a distraction from the Sessions stuff, but it feels like it's coincidental crazy. Rumor has it it's locked in a room only CERTAIN republicans can see (eg NOT Rand Paul), guarded. People go to the room and are told it's not there. It feels so desperate and sad.

Aha. Here's a link.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Ok I will freely admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but what does the House Energy and Commerce Committee have to do with health care? What kind of bullshit is this - secret rooms etc.?
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

^ Are you Unforumzedvagueposting? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking about but I Googled anyway, it's a reflexive action.

House Energy and Commerce Committee

Health
    Jurisdiction:
    Public health and quarantine; hospital construction; mental health; biomedical research and development; health information technology, privacy, and cybersecurity; public health insurance (Medicare, Medicaid) and private health insurance; medical malpractice and medical malpractice insurance; the regulation of food, drugs, and cosmetics; drug abuse; the Department of Health and Human Services; the National Institutes of Health; the Centers for Disease Control; Indian Health Service; and all aspects of the above-referenced jurisdiction related to the Department of Homeland Security.

Graham: Require 2020 candidates to release tax returns

Sen. Lindsey Graham said Wednesday he wants all presidential candidates to be required by law to release their tax returns, starting in 2020.

The South Carolina Republican said his proposal would include Donald Trump if the president seeks reelection.

“I think that prospectively what I'll do is, any candidate running in 2020 needs to release their tax returns,” Graham told reporters. Asked how he would enforce this, he responded: “You just make it a law.” He then explained that the law would apply to Trump, “if he’s a candidate for president” in 2020.
    This is great. And his and McCain's hammering is great. HOWEVER, it's not enough. They keep voting for nominees and tacitly supporting Trump things, while at the same time going to non-FOX sites to appear moderate and reasonable to moderates and liberals. I'll take their crumbs, but they're not heroes.

Republicans are nervous about a race in one of the reddest states. Not because the GOP candidate is expected to lose, but because of how much he might win by.

13/Hillary Clinton was destroyed in some of the lightly populated counties of KS-04 (13% in Barber, 15% in Harper). Even Sedgewick, the most

14/...Dem county in the district (and most populated) Clinton lost by almost 20 points. Republicans are worried they may lose this seat.

15/The Dem candidate is probably doing a good job, bymut he's raised almost no money, & nobody had spent any on his behalf. Why would.

16/...anyone spend in a district that Republican? Which gets to the Repubs being screwed. If they're worried about a district Trump won...

17/...by 27 points-- Twenty! Seven! Points! --they shouldn't take for granted any district in America. Now, to be clear, it's very...

18/...unlikely Dem Jim Thompson beats Repub state treasurer Ron Estes. That's not a negative on Thompson. It's just almost impossible...

19/...to win a seat that strong for the other party. But Thompson doesn't need to win for this to be an omen for 2018. If Thompson is...

20/...within 15 points, it's bad for the Repubs. If it's within 10--with Dems having spent nothing--we need to go big in 2018. If this...

21/...race is close, that means there may be between 75 & 100 GOP-held seats that the GOP can't take for granted. Please let that happen/

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Republicans are nervous about a race in one of the reddest states. Not because the GOP candidate is expected to lose, but because of how much he might win by.
    It was even closer than the most optimistic projections

It's a long way off from 2018 and who doesn't trust that the Dems will find a way to fuck it up, but it's nice to have a little bit of a comfort right now. If red red red districts are CLOSE, red-leaning and swing districts are going to be in play.

Some analysis and more cautious optimism. I need something to cling to.

If turnout across all 435 districts followed this same pattern of partisan participation, then Democrats would win a 314-seat majority in the 435-seat House of Representatives next year.

Is that a realistic outcome? No, of course it isn't. But Democrats only need 218 seats to win the House majority, a pickup of 24. If Republicans keep doing what they've been doing, (fumbling on healthcare reform is a good example of what they've been doing) and fail to give their regular voters a reason to turn out and support them, then they're going to get a big enough shellacking that we might see a return to Speaker Pelosi in 2019.

I'll just leave this here

So Louise Mensch said on April 13th that sources told her Jason Chaffetz was involved with #TrumpRussia (more superficially that Russians had kompromat on him) and that the FBI was aware. Today he announced he's not seeking reelection and a top Republican source in Utah revealed that Chaffetz might step down before his term is done. Are the rats abandoning ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    So Louise Mensch said on April 13th that sources told her Jason Chaffetz was involved with #TrumpRussia (more superficially that Russians had kompromat on him) and that the FBI was aware. Today he announced he's not seeking reelection and a top Republican source in Utah revealed that Chaffetz might step down before his term is done. Are the rats abandoning ship?
    I'd say they're scrambling for immunity. I don't think she wrote it, but on Mensch's blog she has a story about a tape of Trump offering Russians favors in exchange for the aforementioned election assistance. Not sure how true it is, but it goes well with the guy who said "They're all going to jail" and the white-faced congresspeople who had that secret meeting whose contents still hasn't leaked. Rumor also has it that Ryan and McConnell were deeply involved. Which also would explain their trying to ram everything in they could WHILE they could and their reluctance to do any investigations. He's the biggest domino, but he doesn't seem to be the only one. Graham and McCain, while supporting everything he's done at the same time as pretending to denounce him, might be the only two real vocal, public ones not involved before the fact.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'm skeptical that many people, if any, are going to go down with this Russia stuff. I'm just so pessimistic right now. The only way something is going to happen is if the FBI produces something truly explosive. Even then you need 2/3 of the Senate to impeach the president. The Republicans are just so bat shit insane and delusional that I could see impeachment being an uphill slog even with hard evidence. FFS, he admitted to assaulting women and tons came forward and they still stood by him. I think I may need another newsfast soon because I see myself starting to resign to defeat
    Last edited by .chris; 04-20-2017 at 01:58 AM.

What I can see happening is that this drags on, as I'm sure the Dems are hoping, through the 2018 midterms. I heard that the Senate investigation alone could be at least the better part of a year. I don't know whether this investigation will tilt more towards the Watergate investigation, where people strongly supported the Congressional hearings or if it goes the way of the Clinton Impeachment, where people got sick of it. I would bet, because it involves the Russians attempting to influence an election, it goes more like the former, where people actually did go to jail.

Still just a rumor at this point, but this guy has been pretty reliable.