Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: America

Hi there,

Long time (nearly 20 years) lurker here. I don't usually post on message boards, but I wanted to share something that I just realized. I did a quick search and didn't see that anyone else ever mentioned this here. If I missed it, my apologies. Tori's song America is almost certainly an homage to Minnie Riperton's song Les Fleurs. The intro to both songs are very similar musically. Then there's this from the lyrics:

Minnie: "Will a child find me by the stream?"

Tori: "You can find her Sundays sitting by a stream."

Like America, Les Fleurs was the album opener for Riperton's album Come To My Garden. The song has been featured a lot in movies and on TV, including the movies Inherent Vice and Us, and it's in the Microsoft Surface commercial right now.

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1kDd6yBQZ4

Yes - I can definitely hear the similarities in the beginning and the high vocals.
    Robbing the muse...

Woah...when i saw the word America at the top of this thread board my first reaction was this must be the title of the new album!!!! Anyway, i'm sure we'll get more info probably in the new year (initially i suspected the album might be with us in May but now feel it will be a September 2020 release.....then again that Halloween tweet from Tori did suggest that they are currently in the studio so..you never know!!!)....just relistened to the actual song America and was reminded how beautiful it is and definitely a great start to UG.......starting to get excited for new material,,,

Lovely song. Thanks for posting. You only ever hear the chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by little blubber View Post
    Hi there,

Long time (nearly 20 years) lurker here. I don't usually post on message boards, but I wanted to share something that I just realized. I did a quick search and didn't see that anyone else ever mentioned this here. If I missed it, my apologies. Tori's song America is almost certainly an homage to Minnie Riperton's song Les Fleurs. The intro to both songs are very similar musically. Then there's this from the lyrics:

Like America, Les Fleurs was the album opener for Riperton's album Come To My Garden. The song has been featured a lot in movies and on TV, including the movies Inherent Vice and Us, and it's in the Microsoft Surface commercial right now.

What do you guys think?

Thanks lurker! 20 years holy God

Quote Originally Posted by little blubber View Post
    Hi there,

What do you guys think?

I’m kind of amazed no one pointed it out until now. Those opening chords are definitely inspiration for America. I’m surprised she didn’t mention it in any of the press for the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I’m kind of amazed no one pointed it out until now. Those opening chords are definitely inspiration for America. I’m surprised she didn’t mention it in any of the press for the album.
    Probably didn't mention it because there seems to be a lot of lawsuits out there especially recently...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I am too Ryan. She's always very open about whenever The Beatles directly influence one of her songs, for example.

I love the song similarities & yet they’re both such different songs.
    Sometimes T gives credit for songs of influence & sometimes she says things like the ghost of John Lennon sang HJ even though it was clearly influenced by Purple Rain
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm