Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup Application - Tips & Trends

Makeup Application - Tips & Trends

I've always loved how Angelina Jolie wears her eyeliner:

However, whenever I try to get this effect I just look like I'm trying to go goth. Or cheap 60s. Usually I use Lancome's Liquid Liner, but Jolie's looks like it fades it bit towards the edges, which makes me think it's done with a pencil.

Do any of you try to get this look? How do you do it?

I want to say that it's some dark shadow applied with an angled brush over the top of the line and out towards the edges to make it softer. I do this with my everyday liner (not drawing the wing) to blend and set it.

ETA: Here is a pretty good video on how to replicate the look (I watched it w/o sound). She actually makes a base shape with shadow and pencil and then lays on the liquid liner. Interesting!

I never even considered that. How do you set it? It seems like that would rub off very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    I never even considered that. How do you set it? It seems like that would rub off very quickly.
    My everyday liner is a dark grey and it's soft and comes off quite easily. I just dab some black shadow over the line with an angled brush and it blends the line a bit and sets it pretty well while still being easy to wash off. I do the same thing with a felt tip liquid liner (after it dries) and it fills in the area closest to the lash where I can't get liquid to go.

I suck at liquid liner all the way around. It is very rare I get it right. A nice alternative I've found is Urban Decay's Ink for Eyes. It's a cream that is applied with an angled brush (so it can be as dramatic as liquid, yet is much more forgiving) and can be smudged with the sponge tip on the other end of the brush for a softer, smokier look. It doesn't come in black though. It's $22.00 a tray, but I am fairly sure it'll last forever.

Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer potion helps with staying power but doesn't affect blendablity.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    Love this topic and that tutorial above was really interesting!

Let's talk eyelashes now...

My eyelashes are not that long... I never tried false ones to enhance the effect and I'd like to keep it that way for the everyday make up.
    Does someone have suggestions on how to get the best effect with a mascara?

I'd really like to have that long and separated eyelashes effect... I try to achieve it using this:

it has a sort of comb instead of a standard brush but still it's nothing compared to what you can see on those disappointing advertising pictures

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    JayPea, I can't see your Angelina picture in the OP, can you re-link?

As far as eyeliner goes, I far prefer to use gel liners over liquid. You can get the same effect but you don't need nearly as steady a hand. The Loreal HIP ones are good, MAC Fluid Lines are great, and Stila's Smudge Pots are also fantastic. I've seen a few of the YT gurus raving about the new Physicians Formula stacked ones, as well, though I have no personal experience with them. A nice thing about using gel liners is that they once they dry, they have great staying power, and you don't need to set with eyeshadow.

Maeve, have you ever tried a primer with your mascara? They are widely available across all price points these days. My favorite mascara recently has actually been a cheapy -- Cover Girl Lash Blast Length.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    ^ Actually I never tried that. That'll be my next step in the Longeyelashes War.
    Thanks for the tip

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

Are the textures of the gels the same as Ink for Eyes? I've wanted to try the smudge pots.

I said cream because gel sounds a bit more liquidy (brings to mind the texture of hair gel). The cream is solid but slides on with complete ease and smoothness. I wonder if we're using different words to describe similar textures?

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    There's no Angie pic anymore

I eyeliner, I'm happy with just some concealer and some well blended eyeliner. (and blush on the east coast. I didnt need it on the west. psha) I dont use anything special, usually some CoverGirl Espresso twist type with the blender on the other end and then I put some finishing powder over it so it doesnt get all over my upper eyelids.

I use an angled brush and cream (Smashbox makes a great one) liner to get the Angie look and then set it by applying some grey or black powder shadow. It helps to blend.

What base (I'm not sure that's the right term) do you recommend to help keep your eye shadow on?

Y'all keep saying you "set it," and I'm confused by what that means. So you apply the liner and then go over it again with a traditional eye shadow in a dark color?

--

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    What base (I'm not sure that's the right term) do you recommend to help keep your eye shadow on?

This is the best thing ever. You can use it as a primer or as a base...I use it as a primer and then just put a light matte from brow to lashline, adding my crease or whatever other colors I'm wearing on top of that. It will last allll day with that primer underneath.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    Y'all keep saying you "set it," and I'm confused by what that means. So you apply the liner and then go over it again with a traditional eye shadow in a dark color?
    Yup!