Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup Application - Tips & Trends

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    Are the textures of the gels the same as Ink for Eyes? I've wanted to try the smudge pots.

I said cream because gel sounds a bit more liquidy (brings to mind the texture of hair gel). The cream is solid but slides on with complete ease and smoothness. I wonder if we're using different words to describe similar textures?
    Yeah, gel and cream are pretty much the same consistency.

Barb, I swear by UDPP. The bottle in that picture is the color Sin, which is gorgeous, but the original works very well for girls as pale as you and I.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Thanks!

I use the original UDPP too. I use the Sin eyeshadow and it is definitely not neutral on my skin tone.

Ok glam ladies, my 13 year old has asked if she can start wearing eye liner. I haven't used eyeliner in oh... almost 20 years. Any recommendations in regards to brands/makes for a young beginner?

She asked specifically about eyeliner and not just make-up in general right? Does she know that she wants to try anything in particular? If she's been messing around with her friends' supplies, she might have a look in mind as well as already know she wants a certain color from a maker.

Will she be paying for it?

The number one brand (not necessarily for just eyeliner, but for all makeup products) that I would think would be great for a teenager is NYX. It's very affordable, and the products are actually very good quality for the price. Sometimes you can find their products in drugstores, but not around here. I usually order from Cherry Culture's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    She asked specifically about eyeliner and not just make-up in general right? Does she know that she wants to try anything in particular? If she's been messing around with her friends' supplies, she might have a look in mind as well as already know she wants a certain color from a maker.

Will she be paying for it?
    She has not used any of her friend's supplies as she "wouldn't use any make up without my permission" (she may actually listen to me yet ) and she knows it isn't good to share that kind of stuff. She specifically asked only about eyeliner for now. I will likely pay for her first bit but if she gets hooked it will be on her. Inexpensive and drugstore convenience is preferred. I just haven't a clue if there are some known options that are great vs. those that are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    The number one brand (not necessarily for just eyeliner, but for all makeup products) that I would think would be great for a teenager is NYX. It's very affordable, and the products are actually very good quality for the price. Sometimes you can find their products in drugstores, but not around here. I usually order from Cherry Culture's website.
    Thank you! I'll check around locally and look at the website.

I totally trust Churumbela's recommendation, but if you really want to just pick up one or two colours of eyeliner from the grocery store for her to practice with for little investment and for super basic lining, Cover Girl really isn't too bad. I never had any reaction to it during the time I used it and it is a bit softer and more blendable than some of the other sticks out there, including more expensive brands. I can only recommend the eyeliners and eye shadows. I hated the mascara, found it clumpy AND flaky. I never used foundation, lipstick or blush.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    Yeah, gel and cream are pretty much the same consistency.

Barb, I swear by UDPP. The bottle in that picture is the color Sin, which is gorgeous, but the original works very well for girls as pale as you and I.
    Thank you! I will definitely be picking it up. Do drug stores carry it, or should I order online?

You can't buy Urban Decay in drugstores here, I don't think. (It's different in the UK, I believe.) Sephora, Ulta or a department store will likely have it. Or you can get it on Sephora's website.

Rimmel makes nice eyeliners that are soft and go on easily. Also, possibly easier to find than Nyx (which I also recommend).

a million little molecules bled white's Avatar
    Ms. Jolie uses Boot Black liquid eye liner by M.A.C. for her liner. Personally, I prefer M.A.C.'s fluidline in Blacktrack. : ) When I started doing cat eyeliner a few years ago, I sucked. So I used pencil with eyeshadow over top to set. I can do liner pretty fast these days with fluidline but am practicing with penultimate liners to get that ultra black line. . .one day.

I saw someone asked about primer on the first page; have you tried Too Faced Shadow Insurance? I used to use Urban Decay's Primer Potion but switched to Too Faced cause of the better packaging (I used to cut open the Urban Decay primer to get all the stuff left in the bottle and with the Too Faced, I don't have to do that. . so I think it is better).

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    Today I went looking for a good new mascara. I decided to try this:

Collistar Infinito

I love the brush, as I saw it I thought "That's mine!"... and I also bought a transparent gel mascara to use as primer.
    I'll let you know if this mascara is good

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

JayPea, I just came across your thread and have the same problem.
    For me, the problem is eye shape and lid space: my right lid is a little downturned, so if I follow the lash line all the way through, my eye looks droopy and my eyes are uneven.
    Small lid space can also make this look too goth, as you said.

Start small, you can always do a thin cateye= less 60s/goth. Experiment with pencil, gel, and liquid. On the relative cheap, L'oreal came out with a gel liner called Eyestudio that gives good control, IMO.

But it's always a battle for me to get the winged or cateye line right.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Hello, I'm here to revive a nearly year-old thread! Here's the embarrassing thing. I'm 25 years old and have no idea how to put on makeup. It's not really my thing and I've always been happy with how I look without it, which is why I've never bothered to learn, but I'm getting to the point where I'd like to wear a little eyeliner once in a while, just for fun. But every time I try, there's a tiny line of visible skin between the eyeliner and my lid, which looks awful. No matter what I do, I can't get the line right on the edge of the lid. Any tips for a total beginner? Any particular brand I should be using? And is just eyeliner with nothing else going to look stupid anyway, or should I be adding something else to round it out?
    Last edited by stillorbiting; 04-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Tightlining is your friend. It's super easy and a hell of a lot more natural looking.

you can use either a gel or cream eyeliner or a pencil eyeliner. Just be sure that the liner doesn't have any glitter in it.