Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup Application - Tips & Trends

I am so trying the tightliner. Do you know if it works with eyeshadow? I normally will wet my UD Wonder Brush and line with shadow.

stillorbiting, I would also do just a quick sweep of mascara on the top lashes like the video. If you don't use makeup much, give NYX a try. It's good quality and not a lot of money. Drug stores, and even my grocery store carries it.

I've never even heard of tightlining and I can't wait to try it!

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    damn, i wish i could try tightlining, but my eyes twitch just seeing the eyelash curler.

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
    I am so trying the tightliner. Do you know if it works with eyeshadow? I normally will wet my UD Wonder Brush and line with shadow.

stillorbiting, I would also do just a quick sweep of mascara on the top lashes like the video. If you don't use makeup much, give NYX a try. It's good quality and not a lot of money. Drug stores, and even my grocery store carries it.
    I would imagine eye shadow is fine as long as it's really pigmented and contains no glitter. You could just use Visine as your mixing medium/wetting agent for your eye shadow.
    Also I never bother curling my eyelashes, because a. I'm lazy and b. my lashes are naturally curled already. It's nice that there are some benefits to having curly hair, to mitigate the downside of tangled locks and looking like a human Q-tip when I get out of bed in the morning.

ETA: I love Beau's videos. I believe he started out as a print MA, and eventually opened his own line of cosmetics. He's also a member at makeup alley (ghost) and his reviews led me to purchasing NARS All About Eve eye shadow duo, for which I'll always be grateful to him for. He's awesome about posting information about how he achieves certain looks, different ways to use various products and is overall just a really nice poster.

oh! i'm such a tard. i totally thought it had something to do with using an eyelash curler. i thought he was going to be applying gel liner to the cushion in the curler and then pressing onto the eyelashes. i'm so glad i was wrong. will now be trying tightlining asap!

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    I would imagine eye shadow is fine as long as it's really pigmented and contains no glitter. You could just use Visine as your mixing medium/wetting agent for your eye shadow.
    Also I never bother curling my eyelashes, because a. I'm lazy and b. my lashes are naturally curled already. It's nice that there are some benefits to having curly hair, to mitigate the downside of tangled locks and looking like a human Q-tip when I get out of bed in the morning.

ETA: I love Beau's videos. I believe he started out as a print MA, and eventually opened his own line of cosmetics. He's also a member at makeup alley (ghost) and his reviews led me to purchasing NARS All About Eve eye shadow duo, for which I'll always be grateful to him for. He's awesome about posting information about how he achieves certain looks, different ways to use various products and is overall just a really nice poster.
    I love his posts on MUA! No wonder I love the video!

got my materials! found $3 e.l.f. brand gel eye liner at target. i know that brand doesn't get great reviews, but for $3 i'll risk it.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    If the E.L.F. liner doesn't work, Wet n' Wild actually makes a great cream liner for around the same price. Incredibly pigmented and long-lasting, even on my oily lids.

Wet n Wild is the only eyeliner I'll use. Everything else is either too smudgy or too dry. Plus it's cheap (in price)!

I've got a makeup question, but not for my own personal use. When I get money, I'm going to try to get different skin tone shades of foundation. I don't want to get liquid foundation since I suck at application and I want something simple to use. What is the best, cheapest mineral foundation that is easy to mix and match tones with?

Quote Originally Posted by hollerskates View Post
    got my materials! found $3 e.l.f. brand gel eye liner at target. i know that brand doesn't get great reviews, but for $3 i'll risk it.
    Or if you're interested, Physicians formula has a custom eye enhancing gel creamliner that has been getting good reviews at Makeup Alley and on various blogs.
    Pros:
    ~you get three different colors in one product
    ~It's on sale at CVS through Saturday for 40% off
    ~and someone at Makeup Alley also posted link for a $5 off Physician's Formula coupon that's good on any PF product. I just picked up their Happy Booster blush there using the coupon. Sweet!

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Kites View Post
    Wet n Wild is the only eyeliner I'll use. Everything else is either too smudgy or too dry. Plus it's cheap (in price)!

I've got a makeup question, but not for my own personal use. When I get money, I'm going to try to get different skin tone shades of foundation. I don't want to get liquid foundation since I suck at application and I want something simple to use. What is the best, cheapest mineral foundation that is easy to mix and match tones with?
    I REALLY like Everyday Minerals. I don't have sensitive skin, but other mineral brands have caused issues for me. EM hasn't. They're also pretty cheap, and you can order samples of different shades for $2.50 each.

http://www.everydayminerals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    Or if you're interested, Physicians formula has a custom eye enhancing gel creamliner that has been getting good reviews at Makeup Alley and on various blogs.
    Pros:
    ~you get three different colors in one product
    ~It's on sale at CVS through Saturday for 40% off
    ~and someone at Makeup Alley also posted link for a $5 off Physician's Formula coupon that's good on any PF product. I just picked up their Happy Booster blush there using the coupon. Sweet!

Excellent! Thanks for posting about this. I've been wanting to give them a try, and that's a hard price to pass up.

Second the Everyday Minerals. I am not a fan of mineral makeup in general, but I don have a small pot of this to run out to the store in without doing full face.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I tried tightlining today. Should have taken a photo but didn't think of it. I liked how it looked. Eyeliner is tricky when you get older (trust me) and the lids aren't as perky as they used to be. Tightlining gave me definition without looking too made up or smudgy.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

i'm so not good at it. my right eye looked great, but the left eye was a mess!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I'm actually kind of excited about a Mac collection again. Not so much for the collection (could give a fig about beauty bloggers) but because of the colors.
    I want these lipglasses and the green eye shadow!