Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kate Nash

Kate Nash

Any fans here?

I've been a fan since her debut, but have to say I'm really impressed by her artistic evolution throughout her 2nd and 3rd album. Made of Bricks is a classic and I love it, but I'm glad she didn't stick to the quirky indie pop in the following two.

I was initially shocked by Girl Talk, but it grew on me a lot and I love it now. Shame it flopped and her career kinda went downhill, but she's still young, I'm looking forward to hearing what's next from her!
    Last edited by Yo Jupiter; 08-12-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Lead single from upcoming album.

Thoughts?

I'm kind of shocked by the change from that punk riot girl stuff to her poppiest yet. The lyrics are subpar for her standards, but I guess she's allowed to make a happy summer song. Curious to hear the album.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Wtf, Kate.
    Nobody can argue the greatness of Made Of Bricks. I can understand that the other two albums are not for everyone, but I was shocked when I heard Girl Talk because it sounded so... Honest, perhaps? It felt like she was saying "yeah, I know, you're waiting Made Of Bricks 2, but fuck you, I'm angry, I'm doing this instead". I mean, seriously, "Sister" is one of the best riot girrrrrrl songs ever.

And now this?
    This sounds like "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Girl Talk is not gonna happen again, love me again and buy my albums!".

The worst part is that even if I had no idea who Kate Nash is, I would hate the song anyway.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Tbh I think Made of Bricks is kind of overrated. Her second album is much better. Not sure where to rank Girl Talk, but I liked it a lot. Bricks is the one I almost never listen to anymore.

This does seem kinda sellout-ish, but I do love the production, there is something very Kate about it all, even if she only did it to fix the "damage" Girl Talk did.

Yes, I agree with waitressboy!. I never really paid too much attention to her first two albums, since they weren't heavily promoted in the US.
    But I fell in love with Girl Talk and her whole look and attitude during that period. I also saw her live on the tour which was one of the best shows ever.
    Now she just looks like a typical blonde pop star, doing typical superficial pop music. It just is not interesting to me at all.
    But I guess I can understand how people who were fans of her earlier work wouldn't like Girl Talk but since I wasn't invested in her earlier music it was brilliant and not shocking to me.
    But she's an independent artist, not a major label one. So I would think that would give her freedom to follow her own muse, since she's unlikely to have a big radio hit anyway.

Lots of artists change over the course of albums but usually there is a common thread. not such a radical change as she did from Girl Talk to this song.
    It does make me question was Girl Talk authentic or was it just trying to jump on the 90's nostalgia bandwagon and when it didn't take off she jumped off?
    But I still love that album. It really had an impact on me, the same way as my favorite albums by Madonna, Tori, PJ Harvey and Fiona Apple.
    But to change right after that to something so superficial is just shocking to me.

Don't ask me where because I couldn't tell you exactly, but Girl Talk sounds 100% honest. It really sounds like what she wanted to sound like. This is so forced and uninspired. And what's even more surprising, it's obvious that it's not a parody song.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Don't ask me where because I couldn't tell you exactly, but Girl Talk sounds 100% honest. It really sounds like what she wanted to sound like. This is so forced and uninspired. And what's even more surprising, it's obvious that it's not a parody song.
    Yes, it does seem honest. I can understand an artist wanting to change sounds and not stick to one genre, but it seems kind of a radical change.

To be fair to her, she does have another recent song with this electro pop group Holy Child called Rotten Teeth which is a lot better. Hopefully, the album will sound more like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkQLGpnbzc

She explained her inspiration behind the song in an interview:
    Noisey: Hi Kate! Tell me about the song?

Kate Nash: I came back to London it was my Dad’s birthday it was the summer it was grey and raining, miserable and cold, but it was my Dad’s 60th so we were having a party in the garden with a marquee tent and everyone came, no one cancelled, and we just sat out in the garden with our coats, in tents, and just had a really good day. When the summer comes out in England, it’s this crazy thing and people go mental. I was in London Fields the other weekend and it just looks like fires are happening because there's a thousand BBQs and I was on the tube just appreciating the things in London that I missed in LA. We've jsut got such an attitude of ploughing through. My main memory as a kid is walking back in the rain from school with wet laces slapping against my ankles and I hated that feeling, so when summer came it was always the most amazing time of year. You kind of felt this relief period where everything was going to be amazing. It was weird being in LA where everything was like that every day. And you were kind of like I wish it was gloomy so there was a relief from the pressure almost. There’s something about summer [in the UK] that’s a relief and I just wanted to write a pop song about that. The chorus goes "I've been waiting all year to feel this good"—even if it’s shit weather, it’s the fucking summer and we’re going to feel amazing and have wicked times so it was kind of a little ode to British summer really!
    Full interview: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/kate-nas...or-good-summer

I loved Girltalk, but I"m not into her new music. Oh well.

oh dear lord, that's seriously mediocre.

I loved her first album, I played it at work all the time and really kind of fought with my colleagues because they hated it and I just couldn't stop playing it (also because I, in turn, had to suffer through some of their shitty hip hop they liked).

But I didn't really like her second album and I think I kind of skipped through her third to find anything that I might enjoy. But didn't. I guess her new stuff isn't any better?

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I loved her first album, I played it at work all the time and really kind of fought with my colleagues because they hated it and I just couldn't stop playing it (also because I, in turn, had to suffer through some of their shitty hip hop they liked).

But I didn't really like her second album and I think I kind of skipped through her third to find anything that I might enjoy. But didn't. I guess her new stuff isn't any better?
    I didn't pay much attention to her first two albums as she was never big here in the US. But I fell in love with the riot grrrl sound of Girl Talk. And then I saw her live on the tour which was great.

But I guess I was in the minority as most of her older fans hate the Girl Talk sound and it was a commercial flop, although it was critically praised. So I guess she decided to return to the more quirky pop sound.

Girl Talk I guess was a one off for her. But I still stand by the fact that it was a great underappreciated album that changed my life! But I guess she is an overall artist just isn't for me.

In retrospective, I think that every album of her has a VERY distinctive sound. Made Of Bricks has the vibe of all those girls playing the piano and making hits on the radio (Sara Bareiles, Ingrid Michaelson, Vanessa Carlton, etc.). My Best Friend Is You is more "alternative", like she's trying everything, like an experiment. Girl Talk is, well, an angry album. And this sounds like a happy pop stupid crap. If you put it one next to the other, it kinds of makes no sense. It's not an evolution: she's just jumping from one place to another. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's weird.

I think the first three were a clear evolution, because My Best Friend Is You sounds like a stepping stone between the piano indie pop and rock of the other two albums.

Not sure what she's aiming at this time around, the songs sound kinda B-sideish, casual, as if she isn't really trying. Hopefully they are just some promo singles like Underestimate the Girl was.

Good Summer has grown on me a lot, though!