Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun protection.

Sun protection.

We're having a sunny spell here in the UK (shocking, I know) so I thought I'd bring up the topic of protecting your skin from sun damage.

I've been advised by several dermatologists to wear high SPF sunscreen on my face all year round, no matter the weather, due to my history of rosacea. I'm also of Northern European ancestry with fairly pale skin and burn pretty easily. I don't ever seek a tan or lie in the sun. I also want to protect my skin on my face, neck, chest and arms from ageing UVA rays. It's taken me an age to find ones I can tolerate and are wearable (as opposed to thick, sticky masks or ones that actually aggravate my skin or cause an allergic reaction) but I've come upon a couple that do the job well with good ingredients and no stupid fragrances, alcohol or other skin-aggravating factors:

Vichy Capital Soleil Stick SPF 50+:

I use this every single day on my face and neck. Goes on easily, no stickiness and works wonderfully under make-up, almost like a primer. Since I started using it daily, 18 months ago, I've seen a big reduction in general diffuse redness and a general improvement in texture and tone. As long as I take everything off properly at night (meaning double cleansing with a micellar water followed by mild soap and water) it doesn't clog or in any way bother my skin.

Sunsense Daily Face SPF 50+:

This is a very respected Australian brand. It's a little bit greasy on my face (I have strange oily/dehydrated skin) but perfect on my neck, chest and arms. Excellent protection. The skin on my arms looks a lot better for the protection - a reduction in existing freckling and a general improvement in tone and texture. I double cleanse my neck and chest at night as above to prevent any clogging or irritation.

So, what's your sun protection strategy? Which products work for you?

I use Parasol (cheap as shit French pharmacy brand) and it works for me. WEAR SUNSCREEN PEOPLE. Srsly.

*edit* and a combo of Vichy and Avene for face creams; Avene is my most used, though.

...I apparently like French pharmacy brands for skincare. I am an English traitor.

Avene used to do a really good facial SPF 50 wth Tinosorb a fair few years ago. I wore it faiithfully until they added extra ingredients to the formula and it started aggravating my skin. I used to use their skin creams too, until I realised I shouldn't be using squalene given a particular diagnosis. Nice products though.

...I put shark liver on my face daily? Well alright. News to me.

Haha. Possibly. There's an olive oil-derived squalene too. Anything olive oil and thus high oleic is bad news for my particular facial skin.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    I usually carry a tiny bottle of sunscreen, just in case. Rarely use it as I'm more the shadowy type.

Also, recently heard about a new skin cancer research that says to be careful even with sunscreen, but have not delved into it all that seriously yet. You know, press.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27793354
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Yeah, it's saying nothing we don't already know really - that no sunscreen provides total protection from UV light and therefore we shouldn't use it as carte blanche to roast ourselves in the sun all day and instead should deploy further measures such as covering up with clothes and utilising shade to protect ourselves.

The researchers found that UV light caused faults in the p53 gene, which normally helps protect the body from the effects of DNA damage.

The study also showed that sunscreen could reduce the amount of DNA damage caused by UV, delaying the development of melanoma in mice.

But it found sunscreen did not offer complete protection and UV light could still induce melanoma, although at a reduced rate.

This work highlights the importance of combining sunscreen with other strategies to protect our skin, including wearing hats and loose fitting clothing, and seeking shade when the sun is at its strongest."
    It doesn't really alter my habits because I never lie in the sun and tend to avoid being out and about until late afternoon/early evening on hot summer days anyway - strong sun in hot weather just tends to induce bad headaches and feelings of exhaustion in me.

Sun protection.

Invest in some sunglasses that protect you from UV rays, too. Make sure that they have UV protection. A LOT of very expensive, designer shades are just for pretty and offer nothing in terms of protection.

I find that too often I run out of the house without my sunglasses and immediately regret that I do when my eyes start stinging and I begin squinting.
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-20-2014 at 11:36 AM.

I've found in the past couple of days that I've been getting affected by the sun even doing the 5 minute walk between sites. Time to start upping my sun block, even in Scotland! I use these products: http://www.ultrasun.co.uk

It's odd, my mum has lupus and is horribly allergic to the sun, I'm starting to wonder if I have the same tendencies!

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    I have oliy skin, and I work outside most of the time and I usually hate putting on sunscreen on my face because it feels so oily. However, I recently started using Eucerin's "sun fluid", which leaves my skin feeling "dry" all day and also doesn't smell. Also, it's 50 SPF.

Worrying article here about how some companies are fiddling their SPF ratings by including antioxidants and anti-inflammatories rather than increasing percentages of actual sun-protecting chemical or physical sunscreens:

The Meaning of SPF and How Antioxdants and Anti-Inflammatories Can Skew, Exaggerate and Mask Those Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    ...I apparently like French pharmacy brands for skincare. I am an English traitor.
    Speaking of which ... I noticed ChemistDirect were having a sale on La Roche-Posay Anthelios sunscreens last week and as I've always seen them referred to as the best ones on the entire market with regard to UVA protection, decided to purchase one - they have so many types (creams, lotions, tinted, non-tinted) it took a bit of deciding but eventually I went with Anthelios XL Lait Veloute 50+. Trialled it on face, neck, chest and arms today and I'm seriously impressed. Rubs in well, works beautifully under make-up and my skin hasn't reacted to it at all.

I have used nothing but the La Roche-Posay Anthelios for several years. Amazing stuff. The Melt-in Sunscreen Milk SPF 60 is my daily. I don't have to use two products either. Doesn't bother my skin at all. And I second no issues with makeup.

It's truly one of the best things I've ever used on my skin. As well as providing superior sun protection it seems to have improved the condition of my skin overall. I have less general redness than ever wearing this everyday. I'll definitely be buying a second tube.

I wear an SPF 15 Lip Balm that really seems to work.