Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun protection.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I don't go outside. Works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I don't go outside. Works a treat.
    Best sun screen ever! Since moving to Sweden, I've discovered they don't take to kindly to people like us. I am rubbish at sun bathing and related outdoorsy stuff, standing in the shade of the local bird tower is about it for me. Anything above 25 c is a faff frankly.

"It's so nice! Why don't you go bathing" are the kind of comments from my partner's mother I've been getting all summer, wooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    "It's so nice! Why don't you go bathing" are the kind of comments from my partner's mother I've been getting all summer, wooooo.

Summer in Texas. "Let's go to the pool!" No. Indoors doesn't require loads of sunscreen. And it's already cold.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I spend a lot of time outside in the summer, but except for my face, I still mostly have my pasty white complexion. I don't have a favorite brand of sunscreen. Most make me break out and make my eyes feel like shit for the rest of the day when it inevitably drips into them. I try to wear a hat and stay in the shade if I can. I found a nice shaded trail that I like to walk on. I spend a lot of time swimming and because I really cover up with a rash guard suit and swim shorts, I am only slightly beige instead of near-porcelain white. And that is much better than cooked-lobster red.

I look like a dork everywhere I go, but I also can look much younger than my age because I have less skin damage. I'm at the age where it starts to show up now. I had one woman tell me "Oh, you're just too young to get it" and she was only a year older than me, but she thought I wasn't even 30 yet. So I wear my ridiculous hat and swimsuit and stay on shady paths after 4pm because it obviously helps a little.

It makes me crazy when I go swimming and I see so many tan kids, kids wearing skimpy suits every single day for hours and hours.

^Yeah, sun damage is responsible for the majority of what we think of as 'ageing' skin appearance. It's not time that's breaking down your collagen and producing weird pigmented spots, it's ultraviolet rays. Will never understand why any deliberately seeks a tan.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I have good genetics too. Most of my family looks younger (big fat faces help fill out lines too ). But even if I knew I wouldn't look like a leather handbag at 45, I don't want skin cancer.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Best sun screen ever! Since moving to Sweden, I've discovered they don't take to kindly to people like us. I am rubbish at sun bathing and related outdoorsy stuff, standing in the shade of the local bird tower is about it for me. Anything above 25 c is a faff frankly.

I've been getting comments like that from my own mother since I was about 11. Even now she'll ring up on a nice day and ask me if I've been 'enjoying the weather'. I've never understood what exactly that supposed to involve. I know the UK is supposed to be a dark, cold place but in the height of summer when it's sunny it gets fucking hot, and it's a really horrible, sticky heat too. There's no way I'm going for a walk in that. I'd much rather go out on a crisp morning in the autumn or winter; as long as it's dry that's my favourite time of year. As for sunbathing there is no way I'm just going to lie outside for 3 hours for no reason, and reading outdoors in the sun is uncomfortable because I have quite sensitive eyes. The really intensely hot days like we've been having recently stress me out because I feel like I'm supposed to be doing something but I have no idea what. I much prefer the weather that's happening today; I'm sat in the window of a Costa watching people run around in torrential rain and thunder. THIS I can enjoy.

I also don't understand the need for a constant tan. I've always tanned quite easily but I don't think I look particularly better with one than without. I suppose it's essentially a long-lasting cultural fad. At some point people will stop tanning and a milky white complexion will be the 'vogue' thing for Caucasian people again.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    I really hate sunbathing. When I do spend time in the sun, I don't get a tan, but stay deadly white, so what is the point? Also dislike the heat. I just avoid the sun mostly, and use heavy sunscreen when I'm doing outdoor sports.
    Comments about it are the worst, especially from people that think that going to a tanning salon is good for your health. I usually try and explain a few things about why artificial sunbathing is particularly bad for your skin (never helps).

....of course you do need your vitamin D, but I've always assumed no outrageous amounts of time in the sun are needed.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
    I have used nothing but the La Roche-Posay Anthelios for several years. Amazing stuff. The Melt-in Sunscreen Milk SPF 60 is my daily. I don't have to use two products either. Doesn't bother my skin at all. And I second no issues with makeup.

after i had a particularly horrible sun reaction following an outdoor holiday, ive used this. quality stuff, no reaction and insanely water/sweat proof.