Thread: PJ reading poetry and publishing her own work this year

PJ reading poetry and publishing her own work this year

I'm not sure if this was posted, but I just found it by accident. It's Polly reciting poetry (including her own) at The British Library late last year. She states that she'll be publishing her own collection of poems in collaboration with Seamus Murphy, who will be contributing photographs.

She's not a good reader of others' poetry but conveyed the emotion of The Words that Maketh Murder very well, imo. When the music is stripped away, it's chilling.

I wonder if this means that the project she's working on is actually not music. I can't picture her dividing her energy between two projects.
    Last edited by Baltic; 06-20-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

PJ reading poetry and publishing her own work this year

Oh a published book of poetry would actually be really great! I think that would be interesting coming from her. With anything she does she puts her whole heart into it so I'd imagine it'll be something special.

Thanks for posting!

Release date for the book "The Hollow of the Hand" is Oct 8, 2015:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollow-Hand-...dp/1408865734/

Very cool! Definitely will have to get this cause Peej writes wonderful lyrics.

Here is a sample from the book, and a recording of Polly reading it.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/12/08/guest-room

Bloomsbury is publishing The Hollow of the Hand, the first poetry collection from musician P J Harvey, in collaboration with photographer and filmmaker Seamus Murphy.

The title will be released in four different editions simultaneously on 8th October: a limited edition with original artwork for an as yet unannounced price; a £45 large format cloth-bound hardback; a £16.99 trade paperback readers’ edition; and a £13.99 enhanced e-book.

Alexa von Hirschberg, commissioning editor at Bloomsbury, said: “We always wanted to do a digital edition of the material and now the printed book is sort of done, we’re finalising content. The e-book has been designed by the same designer as the print books, [freelancer] Lizzie Ballantyne, and it’s a fixed-format electronic edition that will include audio of Polly [Harvey] reading her poetry, audio from Seamus giving background to the photography, and hopefully moving images.” Von Hirschberg added: “The limitations of the format means it will probably only be available within Apple iBooks.”

Harvey and Murphy met after the Mercury Prize-winning musician attended an exhibition of Murphy’s about Afghanistan. They first collaborated on Harvey’s last studio album, “Let England Shake”, which was released in 2011, when Murphy created 12 short films that accompanied the album.

Between 2011 and 2014, the duo travelled to Kosovo, Afghanistan and Washington DC seeking inspiration for a new project. Von Hirschberg said: “Their plan was to follow their instincts within those places with Polly collecting words and Seamus collecting images. They knew they wanted to do a book but they didn’t know what form it would take, except that it would be photography and poetry.”

Harvey has worked on her poetry for seven years with Scottish poet Don Paterson, but this is her first published collection

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/p-...lection-306295

Depth is the greatest of heights whenthepawn's Avatar
    ^^^^ Thank you for that, Baltic.

I love her to death, but: I'll probably buy the paperback. If the hardback is nearly $70 U.S., then I shudder to think what the LE will cost. I just can't justify buying a book of poetry for that much.
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 07-11-2015 at 08:15 PM.

PJ Harvey and Seamus Murphy’s The Hollow of the Hand receives its World Premiere.

The Hollow of the Hand
    London Literature Festival
    Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre
    9 & 10 October 2015

With design and direction by Ian Rickson, The Hollow of the Hand is an evening of poetry readings and new songs performed by PJ Harvey, and films and images presented by Seamus Murphy.
    Between 2011 and 2014 PJ Harvey and Seamus Murphy set out on a series of journeys to Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Washington, D.C. Harvey collected words, Murphy collected pictures and together they created The Hollow of the Hand, their debut collaborative book, published by Bloomsbury this October.
    Joining PJ Harvey on stage are musicians John Parish and James Johnston.

Tickets available now

The limited edition of the poetry book will cost nearly US$800. Get yours quick, only 230 (of the 250 copies made) are available!!!

Here are the formats and prices: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/superpa...ow-of-the-hand

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    The Financial Times has published "The Guest Room," first published in The New Yorker last December:

One grey dove circles the ruins.
    A jet heads to the base.

A boy sings to the bird.
    He carries a blue gas canister.

Where shall I go?
    I have no home.

I had a place
    but guests came

and they remained.
    Where shall I go?

He leads us through the village.
    One cockerel. A pile of shoes

outside a curtained door.
    We sit on orange cushions.

Children bring us tea and bread.
    I wish we had brought gifts.

I hope we know when to leave.

From ‘The Hollow of the Hand’ (Bloomsbury), a collaboration between PJ Harvey and Seamus Murphy of poetry and photographs from the pair’s travels to Kosovo, Afghanistan and Washington DC between 2011 and 2014.
    An evening of readings, songs and film based on the book will take place at the Royal Festival Hall, London, on October 9-10. southbankcentre.co.uk