Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The All Inclusive Ani DiFranco Thread

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar

The All Inclusive Ani DiFranco Thread

We used to have a whole forum dedicated to her.... alas!

I won tickets to see her intimate webcast performance tomorrow in Emeryville, CA. You can find out more about it here: www.creativeallies.com

Will definitely post after the show!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Look forward to your report!

Anyone know when the next album is due? It's been nearly two years since Red Letter Year which is a bit of an eternity in Ani DiFranco land!

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    She said tonight that she's mixing the record.... just been hard to find time with the 3 year old. Mixing, playing, mixing... she said she's had to relearn how to play certain songs!

I'm thinking of going to the Telluride Folk Festival in August, she's headlining.

Yay! I wasn't sure whether there was an Ani thread, but there is

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Anyone know when the next album is due? It's been nearly two years since Red Letter Year which is a bit of an eternity in Ani DiFranco land!
    For Ani that is a while I've not really kept up to date with the new songs, can anyone list them or recommend a few?

And we were chatting about her in the Gigs thread, cuz she's finally touring Europe again. Yay! So far only UK dates have been announced but hopefully she'll do Europe as well and I may see her in Amsterdam if she plays there.

^ Ooh so she is! Thanks for posting about it, I wouldn't have known - I've never seen Ani live before. Are UK dates pretty rare? Possible stupid question but is she good live?

^ Yes, yes she is.

I would highly recommend taking the opportunity to see her.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Ani!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

You're right, it is! Her 40th, no less.

Happy Birthday Ani!

I wish Ani promoted her shows a bit more, especially when they're not in conjunction with a new album. I checked after seeing this thread boosted, and there are shows I'm thinking of going to in November now, but no good seats are coming up.

Anyone know when a new album might be coming? If she's been mixing since the end of July, I'd think we'd hear something soon.

Also, anybody have the Live at Babeville DVD? I have it, but haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet. How's the performance quality?

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    ^ Ooh so she is! Thanks for posting about it, I wouldn't have known - I've never seen Ani live before. Are UK dates pretty rare? Possible stupid question but is she good live?
    Someone posted on the OHO forum that she's touring Europe less frequently as it's lossy for her/not enough profit made. I guess especially at the minute, if she's touring with the band there's gonna be more people to pay.

She is fantastic live. A really good performer and engages with the audience well. It's so mesmerizing watching her play something like Gravel as she plays the shit out of the guitar.

Menju, I dunno why but I believe you're Birmingham based (or nearby?) I've never been, but apparently the Glee Club is a tiny venue, so I'd recommend seeing her there, rather than somewhere larger like Shepherd's Bush. I saw her with the band in the Paradiso in Amsterdam in 2002 and it was definitely one of the best gigs I've been to. She has a propensity to play newer songs (not yet released) so you never know what's coming, but Josh was saying that she still veries her sets quite a lot, so, yes, you should see her (plus tickets for the Glee club are cheaper than SBE)

^ Yeah I'm Midlands based and the Glee Club is a fantastic intimate venue. I think you've persuaded me. Will get onto it.

The Ani show in Saratoga Springs, NY was excellent. The theater was really cool. The wall behind Ani was a huge window with lit trees outside it. She was solo, and did a lot of new songs. I haven't seen her solo for at least six years, and it was only the 3rd time I've seen her solo, so it was a nice surprise.

The audience was a bit odd. They kept interrupting her to ask for requests or to say just plain weird things, but she rolled with it and her responses were quite funny. On the way out, I heard a lady say to the woman she was with "wow, that wasn't very good at all." The other lady replied, "no, no it wasn't. When you're that political, you've got problems." I don't know who the fuck they thought they were going to see.

Somebody asked her if the new studio album would be out soon, and she said it's nearly complete. She said it was basically done, but she wanted to slip in a brand new song (called J, about the oil spill) and said she was now waiting on Pete Seeger, who is going to record vocals for the track Which Side Are You On in three days. She also said Willie Nelson agreed to play guitar on a track, so they'll be getting together soon. She said after those pieces are recorded, the album will be complete.

That was at least my 25th Ani show, more realistically probably 26 or 27, and I've still never seen a show where she didn't give 100%. Not one single performance stands out in my mind as being lackluster. She's fucking impressive.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Quote Originally Posted by VardÝger View Post
    On the way out, I heard a lady say to the woman she was with "wow, that wasn't very good at all." The other lady replied, "no, no it wasn't. When you're that political, you've got problems." I don't know who the fuck they thought they were going to see.
    I saw her in August, in Beaver Creek, Colorado, and we have a fairly conservative populous up here, but I certainly didn't hear THAT up here. Sheesh.

Solo show, absolutely awesome. Smallish theater, incredible acoustics. You could really feel the punch of her percussion work on the guitar. She played lots of new songs, some of which I assume will appear on her new album. Would repeat any night of the week.

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    I cant stop listening to Ani lately. I had never liked any albums after To The Teeth, but lately upon revisiting them, I've discovered that Reprieve is a crazy brilliant album! I'd never even really listened to it. Esp the first 7 tracks are fantastic.