Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: The All Inclusive Ani DiFranco Thread

Oh....dear. It sounds like 'Minerva' had a baby and dropped it on its head.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Good call!

I like it a bit more than Minerva, obviously.
    Does it give you Callous vibes lyrically? That whole.. I did this for you and you shat all over it!?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Has anyone listened to the "No Walls"mixed tape album she put out to accompany her autobiography?

Personally speaking, I am not a fan of what she has done with any of the songs. Curious to hear your thoughts.

They all sounded very same-y to me. I wasn't a fan of any of them. Ani is great live but all her re-recordings IMO have been pretty shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They all sounded very same-y to me.
    Me too! Totally samey sounding and totally stripped of melody and blood! Sometimes she gets into the same rut Tori occasionally does, where songs are stripped of their goodness and dynamism, and it's like "why bother"?

I don't think they are that bad. I like the change up at the end of NAPG. "I'm not your pretty girl, pretty girl." Of course, I haven't really been a Ani fan in nearly two decades, so I cannot say much about her direction as of late.

For me, "Living in Clip" very nicely encapsulates the era of Ani that most strongly resonated with me as a fan. Her live performances were super engaging, super dynamic, high energy, and awesome. Her banter was really funny. She and Andy had great chemistry.
    Compare "Living in Clip" with "So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter", and then several of these re-recordings she's done over the last few years, and to me it's a radically different Ani live performance world now.

I think several of her albums after Living In Clip are great:

-Little Plastic Castle
    -Up Up Up
    -To the Teeth
    -Reveling/Reckoning
    -Reprieve
    -Evolve
    -Knuckle Down

But I don't know, she lost me there in the open road...

I bought the autographed copy of the book online. I had no idea she had such storing ties to the province of Quebec in the Montreal region. Its funny that she doesn't play Montreal as often as say Guelph, Ottawa or Toronto Ontario or other Canadian cities in AB, and BC.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    For me, "Living in Clip" very nicely encapsulates the era of Ani that most strongly resonated with me as a fan. Her live performances were super engaging, super dynamic, high energy, and awesome. Her banter was really funny. She and Andy had great chemistry.

Very much so! I was highly involved in trading bootlegs in the mid 90s. There were so many great moments!

I see Ani tomorrow!!
    I was way more into Ani before I’d even really heard of Tori. All my friends were into Ani and Ani toured in smaller venues near me maybe three times as much as Tori.

But when I discovered Tori all on my own. It obviously was the biggest core shake. And I still consider Tori to be the most important artist in my life.
    Tori has always been so open. I mean.. the meet and greets alone. Her friends and family.. she’s always shared that stuff.

Ani’s book was obviously more of a page turner. She says everything she wants you to know in her songs. There’s no “Chickens get a taste of your meat,” but there’s a lot of activism. I know that Ani. I didn’t really know anything about her until this book. And that was a shock.
    Growing up in a house with no walls, just how much she loved and adored her family and all the obstacles her family had. “Angry Anymore” isn’t the same song as it once was.

I actually prefer the newer albums because (the albums that came after where she stops in the book) they became more metaphorical, deeper, intrinsic. So now Tori and Ani kind of have equal footing.

I don’t know why but Ani’s really been more present with her social media and it seems to have expanded her popularity bigly.
    Last edited by Volta; 06-12-2019 at 03:26 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I see Ani tomorrow!!
    I was way more into Ani before I’d even really heard of Tori. All my friends were into Ani and Ani toured in smaller venues near me maybe three times as much as Tori.

But when I discovered Tori all on my own. It obviously was the biggest core shake. And I still consider Tori to be the most important artist in my life.
    Tori has always been so open. I mean.. the meet and greets alone. Her friends and family.. she’s always shared that stuff.

Ani’s book was obviously more of a page turner. She says everything she wants you to know in her songs. There’s no “Chickens get a taste of your meat,” but there’s a lot of activism. I know that Ani. I didn’t really know anything about her until this book. And that was a shock.
    Growing up in a house with no walls, just how much she loved and adored her family and all the obstacles her family had. “Angry Anymore” isn’t the same song as it once was.

I actually prefer the newer albums because (the albums that came after where she stops in the book) they became more metaphorical, deeper, intrinsic. So now Tori and Ani kind of have equal footing.

I don’t know why but Ani’s really been more present with her social media and it seems to have expanded her popularity bigly.
    Couldn’t agree more. She plays a lot of smaller towns; even in Canada and it’s been that way since the beginning. After 1996. Tori stopped playing small Canadian cities. Ani has never forgotten her fans here; and feels like Tori has.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I see Ani tomorrow!!
    Well how was it? It was in Indy, no?

The setlist looked good!

Here is a link I hope works on here to the new song BAD DREAM
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhqzqly59...+Bad+Dream.mp3

I think the song sounds very Prince-influenced. I actually really love it.
    There is a version of Chloroform on youtube that is good quality. These are the two new songs.

Ani didn't seem to be in a good place at the Vogue theater. The Vogue is a very interesting place for someone like Ani to tour. Then I hear she said, I believe at the next show, That her last show was in a shit hole. lol.
    But Ani used to tour up and down Indiana from Fort Wayne all the way to Bloomington. I almost wonder if she'll come back at all now.
    She had a good show at Headliners in Louisville so I am sure she'll be back there again some day.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Thanks for the link. Anyone fancy a stab at the lyrics? From the sounds of the last couple songs, she's not in the greatest of places right now.