Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The All Inclusive Ani DiFranco Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameisWarts View Post
    I cant stop listening to Ani lately. I had never liked any albums after To The Teeth, but lately upon revisiting them, I've discovered that Reprieve is a crazy brilliant album! I'd never even really listened to it. Esp the first 7 tracks are fantastic.
    Reprieve is amazing! It's one of my favorites, if not my favorite Ani album.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

[ validated ]
    ^ Agreed!

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    I've had "in the margins" stuck in my head all week. That brass/keyboard intro is A+. And the repeating guitar riff. For me it is definitely one of the best songs of the latter half of her career.

The last half of the album still feels like its missing something, but some of the songs are growing on me. Half-Assed and Shroud are tough sledding. The mood just kind of fizzles out, there is no real climactic moment for me. But I will say the album as a whole conjures a very unique, subtly dark atmosphere. I love it.
    Last edited by MyNameisWarts; 11-02-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I've been on a Revelling/Reckoning kick lately. I think I'm depressed.

-Jacob.

Ani DiFranco recorded a duet with one of my favourite bands - The Twilight Singers. The song is called "Blackbird and the fox", it's from their upcoming album, due out early next year.

You can freely download mp3 from their official site - http://thetwilightsingers.com

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    From Onherown.net reviews from her European Tour:
    The new album will be called "Which Side Are You On" That is the song she performed at Pete Seeger's 90th bday.
    From onherown about THROAT PROBLEMS

"Ani talked about how she was just planning to chill at home after half the last tour got cancelled due to her throat problems but this tour just snuck up on her and how she had been to see a doctor about her voice and had a camera "stuck up her nose". and that seeing her damaged vocal chords on screen was like veiwing "post mortum pussy" and that she had refused surgery to remove the lumps that had formed.

She said she was just going to learn new tricks since she was struggling with some of the high notes these days.

Then she got a big cheer for the unintentional comment, instead of going up, I'll just go down. "
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Thanks for the news!

Glad that she is persevering!

Oh no! I love her voice. Hope she recovers completely.

I'm looking forward to the Birmingham and London shows. Does anyone know if they are solo or with band?

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    Promo copies of "Which Side Are You On" should be going out in a few weeks. I think the album is still slated for an April release. I'll be catching her here in San Francisco at the Fillmore.... can't wait!

Did any of you see the webcast she did in August where she played 6 of the new songs? I'm not sure if they made the album, but they were DAMN GOOD.

I'm excited about London show on Thursday!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rask of Trevdale View Post
    I've been on a Revelling/Reckoning kick lately. I think I'm depressed.

-Jacob.
    My favorite album(s) of hers. I just love it, especially Reckoning. It's so simple and beautiful. It's definitely the album I turn to when I'm feeling down... but even when I'm not, it's great.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    My favorite album(s) of hers. I just love it, especially Reckoning. It's so simple and beautiful. It's definitely the album I turn to when I'm feeling down... but even when I'm not, it's great.
    It's definitely in my top five favorites of hers. There is such a feeling of emptiness and disappointment throughout both of those albums. Even the Revelling side reminds me of being depressed and lonely in a room full of goings-on.

I remember she said something just after the release of R/R she said something in an interview about the concept of the album. She saidd it was supposed to be one disc of happier, uptempo tunes, and one disc of slower introspective ones. . . but it ended up not being "a revelling kind of year."

That's such a sad idea to me.

Anyway / rant

-Jacob.

Yay for a new album! That pretty much made my day.
    Still collecting her albums...bought Imperfectly at a used CD shop last week.