Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: The All Inclusive Ani DiFranco Thread

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I'm currently listening to the audiobook at work. It's great. . it's very interesting to hear the stories behind the songs. I thought it was interesting that she mentioned Tori sharing the stage with her on a trip to London in the early 90s.

I really like most of the mixtape, it sounds like vintage Ani redone in a style similar to Evolve/Educated Guess. Lots of odd little backing vocals and harmonies that I appreciate

I've been enjoying the mixtape. I cannot wait to read the book.

Anyone read the book yet? Apparently from the interviews I’ve read it’s not so much a memoir more of a “how I got to where I am”

And it stops in 2001 apparently. I’d love to know more about this 1998-2004 era, my favourite albums where released in this period. Is R/R about the breakup of her first marriage?

I'm really interested in early Ani, how she became Ani. I was a HUGE fan from about 1996 to 2001. I credit her partly for my personal awakening. She helped me see life beyond my conservative family. I didn't belong but I had a hard time expressing why. Ani's early albums helped put in words all the things I was feeling and thinking.

Sorry for the live journal post. I'm feeling extremely nostalgic about now!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've read the whole thing.. And .. well.. we've had this discussion over the years about what we should and shouldn't know about an artist we love and their private life or how they got where with all the names, dates, and places. And I have to say, I had so many assumptions based on her songs. And her songs aren't like Tori's where metaphor and allegory and themes let you decide what the songs mean to you.. when Ani wants to say something she says it. She makes it rhyme but she says it. Listen to the mixtape version of To The Teeth. I'm surprised the Secret Service ain't come calling.. as they say.

Anyhow, all the assumptions were dead wrong.

And guess who the last person she thanks on her acknowledgements is?? Amanda Palmer! I guess Amanda helped read and advise her. Makes kinda sense SINCE Heidi is doing the merch for Amanda's latest tour. Anyone who has been to more than one AniD show knows Heidi. She's almost as infamous as Ani and very beloved.

Tori and Amanda both name dropped in the book. Neil didn't make the cut, I'm sorry to say.
    Last edited by Volta; 05-16-2019 at 02:54 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    And guess who the last person she thanks on her acknowledgements is?? Amanda Palmer! I guess Amanda helped read and advise her. Makes kinda sense SINCE Heidi is doing the merch for Amanda's latest tour. Anyone who has been to more than one AniD show knows Heidi. She's almost as infamous as Ani and very beloved.
    I guess they met last year (or maybe the year prior — I can't remember, since Ani plays this venue A LOT) in Albany, NY after Ani's show at The Egg. Amanda was in attendance since she was already in Albany for her show at The Egg the following evening. I didn't see Amanda there, but Ani was posting pictures of them hanging out backstage almost immediately afterward. I didn't go to Amanda's show, but she apparently played an Ani cover because of how impacted she was by the previous night's performance. I believe they've also since recorded something together.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I

Anyhow, all the assumptions were dead wrong.
    Now I am really, REALLY interested!

Her book is #7 on the NY Times Best Seller List.
    WOW

Her song "even more," a song I never listened to more than twice is now the song I can't get out of my head. I hum and sing it all day long last two days. It's just a silly little filler song.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Pretty much confirms that Napoleon is about Suzanne. They were close before either of them got famous, and when she met her many years later she just dismissed her.

She doesn't 'dish' much in the book, but she leaves lots of juicy 'seeds' so to speak. I think she shoulders a huge amount of the blame regarding goat. She just admits her cheating, but doesn't touch on his infidelity or any of the other fucked up things that went on back then.

It's a tease.

^On her Facebook Fan Page she has been read for filth by a vocal minority for being so rough with some of the artists including Tori, Dylan, and Vega.

But I still don't think Napoleon is about Vega. One because, not in the book, Ani has said a couple of times it's not about her.
    Ani tells her truth about her experience with Suzanne but she also cites her as being one of the first artists she ever met that played the guitar in a way Ani wanted to/thought was interesting.

Ani said over the years there were so many artists that would come through many that would be opening for her show and would then get on MTV and major entertainment magazines. She said it did bother her but not enough for her to sacrifice her integrity. And that many of those artists no longer have viable careers.
    Last edited by Volta; 05-31-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    What did she say about tori that was so rough? I thought it was just the story about playing in the UK together

The only people she was harsh with were Dylan and herself imo. She even admitted that she has a chip on her shoulder about Dylan and made light of it. The Tori thing I took as a compliment, but I guess you could read it in a negative light. As for Suzanne, she just explained what happened.

The worst thing about this book is her typical Ani tangents into her Alphabet and the Goddess crap.

Re: Napoleon. I found this comment on songmeanings rather interesting...

Suzanne Vega vehemently denies that this song is about her, she even wrote a letter to the editor of Rolling Stone stating that it isn't because they had printed that it was. Poor Suzanne, apparently this rumor is still following her around.

in the song "anticipate" Ani makes what I think is a thinly veiled reference to the cover of 'short, sharp, shocked' by Michelle Shocked when she says 'dress down, get out there and pick a fight with the police, we will get it all on film for the new release'...

so I have always assumed this song is about Michelle as well. Michelle signed with Mercury records in '87 which is about the time that Ani started her own label, it makes sense in that context, of someone being told they could 'reach millions' then when the deal doesn't go well, calling Ani up to complain about being 'taken for a ride' by the major label, while in the meantime Ani has put her blood, sweat, and tears into starting her own label so that she doesn't have to compromise her music; one can see that she would justifiably be pissed to have to listen to the complaints of someone who took an easier path. Michelle eventually did start her own label, in 2002 according to wikipedia. Apparently the relationship with Mercury ended in the early to mid-nineties...which fits since the album Napoleon came out on is released in '96. Michelle was up in NY in the mid 80's involved in a 'squatters movement' so that puts her in proximity of Ani. this link also says she had to go to court to get out of her contract with mercury

Oh gosh, yeah, I forgot about the Michelle Shocked swipes. That's a really good point.

And now is the "new song" time during this tour

"I don't know what you want from me. I kneel by your bedside on my knee. I hold cold compress to your brow and still this is all my fault somehow."

I love her lyrics so much. I just can't.

I just found out that the facebook page I was talking about is managed/ran by RBR and it's getting more and more popular. I love the book discussions and people posting their amazing collections of albums/memorabilia.

I always love when new people post about seeing her or hearing one of her songs for the first time. I love that it's possible for her to be her most popular this far in. I've noticed the audience is getting more and a more male.. like straight male (assumption) who cheer at every curse word and mouths hit the floor when they see her play the guitar.
    Last edited by Volta; 06-07-2019 at 04:41 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.