Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 227

Thread: Apocalyptic Musings (now with extra Christ's Blood!)

  1. #31
    'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,778
    Half of Europe was wiped out during the late Middle Ages. That's a bad thing to have happened, in any age. I'm sure the people then thought the world was ending. It didn't.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,326
    Helen. I said right from the first moment that this particular clusterfuck started happening that the pro-Russian separatists were actually a covert Russian operation. I was repeatedly told that was nonsense and that it is something that would be said by a crazy conspiracy website. Well, it is true. So is the old tinfoil hat trope about the British parliament being full of old creepy paedophiles. So were the perhaps most enjoyed ramblings of crazy people, that the government were spying on us and reading our thoughts - well, if that is not what the NSA is doing, please explain to me what they are doing. And if they are justified in doing so, in the name of counter terrorism, then explain to me why they are unable to track or stop from travelling those who want to fight for ISIS.

    The reason I kept saying the thing about the separatists despite ridicule and frustration from supposedly more 'rational' people is because I am very well aware of the fact that what politicians and media spin are saying is very different from the agenda held by those in power. Whether that is the leader themselves, the cyberepsionage agencies behind them, military advisors, the lobbyists who funded their trip into office, corrupt politicians around them... It really does not matter who "they" are. The history books are all well and good but what is going on right now is happening so rapidly, and unlike the 90s we now have the power of the internet in most people's pockets. Everyone has an opinion, everyone is watching, the world leaders have more pressure on them than ever before, and there is so much disinformation from all sides along with methods for finding out the actual truth so that the end result is they know things that we do not, but the masses are desparate for answers and so have to be fed lies, but are able to find out the truth themselves. If you read the history books you will know that never before has there been such a thing as Wikileaks, or the Arab Spring, or global nuclear weapon proliferation. Nagasaki and Hiroshima is a very different kettle of fish - it has been decades since then and not only have weapons become unimaginably more brutal since, they are also everywhere.



    Contrary to what it seems like people are trying to tell me, I am not a fucking idiot, and apart from the fact that it is patronising to repeatedly point out someone's age as a reason behind why they know nothing about the world, I could just as easily point out that those of an older generation see this as similar to the Cold War type scenario when in fact it is blatantly more violatile. Every single aspect is totally different except the word nuclear. The whole Ukraine thing started off because of the corruption of Yanukovych, which really makes hardly any sense, since Tymoshenko was imprisoned for corruption and then ran for President upon Yanukovych being ousted, and lost to an oligarch. Ukraine has been a corrupt country for a long time. Protesters were shot at by what were allegedly his people, but who knows since we know that gunmen can be one thing operating under a different name and often are. It depends on what side you are on whether you call things like this a coup or a revolution but whatever it was it was not constitutional either by Ukrainian or US terms. However, the US supported Yanukovych being run out of the country because their interests lie in having Ukraine as part of the EU-US partnership so that NATO (which you have to wonder, who exactly was it there to protect against after the collapse of the Soviet Union?) can surround Russia with its weapons, ensuring victory in a preemptive (a tactic Bush and Blair, right and left, are infamous for) nuclear war strike on Russia from just outside its territory. Putin has been an agitation for a while because of Syria and because he seems to be rocking the global boat a bit, rather boldly. However, it was America who funded the Syrian rebels, thus leading to ISIS, it was America who got rid of leaders like Gaddafi right the way back to Saddam. I do not care what anyone says about the status of those people as dictators, it was Bush and Blair who were war criminals and it was NOT their region of the world to get involved in, and they HAVE made things worse. At one time talking about oil being their motive was called a conspiracy theory, by some people it still is. Please. And lest we forget that Siberia is also rich in many resources.

    I would also like someone to address the fact that on top of all this, antibiotics are beginning to fail miserably, and there will be no. Such. Thing. As. Modern. Medicine if\when that happens. Read this sentence twice if you have to: THIS IS NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORY, it is happening, it is real.
    Last edited by Zippo; 07-18-2014 at 04:04 PM.

  3. #33
    it's a long long climb Kari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo
    Contrary to what it seems like people are trying to tell me, I am not a fucking idiot, and apart from the fact that it is patronising to repeatedly point out someone's age as a reason behind why they know nothing about the world, I could just as easily point out that those of an older generation see this as similar to the Cold War type scenario when in fact it is blatantly more violatile.
    No one said you were an idiot OR that you knew nothing about the world. What people are trying to say is that your reaction to everything that's going on is needlessly fatalistic (and on this board, that is saying something) and tinged with a bit of irrationality. You are acting like you know something that we all don't. WHY, I'm not sure. You are not gifted with any sort of exceptional knowledge outside of the realm of what the very intelligent, well read, and worldly folks on this board also have. Your increasingly unhinged histrionics about apocalypse aren't exactly proving your point. Whatever your point actually is, other than that the world is irredeemably fucked and we're all going to die pretty soon. Which, you know, maybe? We could get hit by an asteroid the size of Texas and then we're very well fucked.

    Basically - you're not doing yourself any favors obsessing about this shit. There is limited stuff you can do. You can vote. You can sign petitions. You can educate yourself and others around you. You can pray, if that's your thing. It's not that some of what you are saying isn't wrong - there is truth in some of the things you are saying - but the vehement and often hysterical Doomsday Debate going on in here is a little unsettling tbh. And not really because of the subject matter but because you're clearly going through something. I'm sorry for that. It sucks. But this discussion has been completely derailed and has gone someplace we're all not really following...because again, this shit is nothing we don't already know.

  4. #34
    she said destroy Lágnætti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Grim North
    Posts
    6,235
    I went out for a beer, a pizza and a gig last night.

    Anyway. When you tie everything you see on the news into an End Times scenario, you are operating exactly like a conspiracy theorist, with all big newsworthy current events serving as grist to your mopey quasi-religious mill. You're not quite at Kathaksung levels yet, but give it time.

    Oh, and don't bother with dramatic THIS IS WHAT A NUCLEAR BOMB DOES animations. I grew up in the Protect and Survive era. Been there, got the t-shirt and the leaflet through the door. Yawn. You actually want to know the closest this world has come to the nuclear end game? 1962. Cuban Missile Crisis. Nothing at the moment even compares to those shenanigans. And a lot of people back then thought THAT was the Apocalypse too.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    No one said you were an idiot OR that you knew nothing about the world. What people are trying to say is that your reaction to everything that's going on is needlessly fatalistic (and on this board, that is saying something) and tinged with a bit of irrationality. You are acting like you know something that we all don't. WHY, I'm not sure. You are not gifted with any sort of exceptional knowledge outside of the realm of what the very intelligent, well read, and worldly folks on this board also have. Your increasingly unhinged histrionics about apocalypse aren't exactly proving your point. Whatever your point actually is, other than that the world is irredeemably fucked and we're all going to die pretty soon. Which, you know, maybe? We could get hit by an asteroid the size of Texas and then we're very well fucked.

    Basically - you're not doing yourself any favors obsessing about this shit. There is limited stuff you can do. You can vote. You can sign petitions. You can educate yourself and others around you. You can pray, if that's your thing. It's not that some of what you are saying isn't wrong - there is truth in some of the things you are saying - but the vehement and often hysterical Doomsday Debate going on in here is a little unsettling tbh. And not really because of the subject matter but because you're clearly going through something. I'm sorry for that. It sucks. But this discussion has been completely derailed and has gone someplace we're all not really following...because again, this shit is nothing we don't already know.
    That is my point. I don't think there is anything wrong with making that point, especially when the rational evidence is actually supporting it. I'm not worried about it because everyone dies sooner or later anyway. I agree that it is very unsettling, of course it is. But I would just like people to consider the option that if you believe the world is about to end, it doesn't automatically mean you are going through something. Actually it means we all are. I could have started talking more about how I believe death is not the end, but that is something even more ridiculous and contemptible to talk about here, no matter how well read people are. So I don't - people want to talk about the reality in front of their eyes, so that is what I'm talking about instead. I just think the truth is something that has to be brought up among the educated American middle-class, who can do something about this more than I can. I don't know what exactly should be done but if nobody else does either then God help us all.

    Helen, the point is that the weapons of today are nothing like the weapons of 1962. I do know what the Cuban missile crisis is, but thanks for that. It was not anything close to this. Ask yourself the question of who you would want to listen to in the event that there was a conspiracy going on. Conspiracy theorists? If you want to deny that they have been right about things, go ahead, but that is a person in denial. You probably don't see me as kathaksung yet because I'm actually not mental, these things are real.
    Last edited by Zippo; 07-18-2014 at 04:54 PM.

  6. #36
    it's a long long climb Kari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    That is my point. I don't think there is anything wrong with making that point, especially when the rational evidence is actually supporting it. I'm not worried about it because everyone dies sooner or later anyway. I agree that it is very unsettling, of course it is. But I would just like people to consider the option that if you believe the world is about to end, it doesn't automatically mean you are going through something. Actually it means we all are. I could have started talking more about how I believe death is not the end, but that is something even more ridiculous and contemptible to talk about here, no matter how well read people are. So I don't - people want to talk about the reality in front of their eyes, so that is what I'm talking about instead. I just think the truth is something that has to be brought up among the educated American middle-class, who can do something about this more than I can. I don't know what exactly should be done but if nobody else does either then God help us all.
    Then you have sufficiently made your point and you're not really adding much to the discussion. I honestly think the global warming thing is more likely to kill us than any of the other stuff you're talking about, but okay. What's the point of beating it to death, though? If you're not actually going through a depressive episode, you certainly do a good impression of it, but benefit of the doubt and all.

  7. #37
    the druthers Mordecai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    d want to listen to in the event that there was a conspiracy going on. Conspiracy theorists? If you want to deny that they have been right about things, go ahead, but that is a person in denial. You probably don't see me as kathaksung yet because I'm actually not mental, these things are real.
    What would you say the ratio is of correct predictions vs incorrect predictions? And which conspiracy theorists do you take seriously?

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,326


    I would think that the prediction made by the former head of the World Bank in that video was a correct one, and if you read point 18 it makes it clear that the IMF is increasingly going to become irrelevant. That means that there will be economic collapse in the US and other countries in the West in favour of the rising economic power of the BRICS countries, with China and Russia at the helm, and the unbelievably patriotic and militarily strong US not being the type to take it in their stride, either domestically or internationally. It is the home of consumerism; the American Dream becomes a nightmare for those of whom it isn't already. This means in the streets as well, because guns are everywhere along with the reactive nutjobs who own them. It also means martial law.

    Obviously a lot of people spout a lot of crap and the Devil worshipping Illuminati aspect of it all is dubious, but the liaisons between Hollywood figures and shady political gangsters are not really to be as scoffed at as one might think. There are more incorrect predictions than correct ones, however it is quite easy to know whether a source is a schizophrenic person with too much time on their hands or whether it is a legitimate political or economic commentator or observer. The former head of the World Bank and the BRICS partners themselves aren't spouting crap. The former's talk being delivered at Stanford, with the line "this is something you're going to have to deal with", means we had better hope those 20 year olds know what's going on to some degree or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    What would you say the ratio is of correct predictions vs incorrect predictions? And which conspiracy theorists do you take seriously?

  9. #39
    'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,778
    There is a line between healthy cynicism and irrational paranoia. You have crossed that line, my dear.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    There is a line between healthy cynicism and irrational paranoia. You have crossed that line, my dear.
    Are you able to explain that? Did you read the above post? If you did, are you blind to the fact that the sources are not crazy people?

  11. #41
    to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    shatter shattered
    Posts
    5,962
    I'm amazed that RT even have a license to broadcast in the UK - their output is such blatant propaganda dressed as news, I'd assume it breaks impartiality regulations on an hourly basis. Friends in high places... Actually 'below the radar' is a more likely explanation as next to no one watches the thing, and only complaints from viewers can instigate enquiries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    It also means martial law.
    Something about the Cuban missile crisis being no big shakes... can't remember where, I was skimming by then
    You don't know what you're talking about and it isn't very interesting.

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,326
    I don't care if you're interested or not. It was a very big deal, but what is to come is bigger.

  13. #43
    Let them eat cheese flan Nancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,441
    Not the worst of times
    By Fareed Zakaria

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...348_story.html


  14. #44
    she said destroy Lágnætti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Grim North
    Posts
    6,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    I don't care if you're interested or not. It was a very big deal, but what is to come is bigger.
    I simply cannot wait until you ascend.

  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,326
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3204264/
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Not the worst of times
    By Fareed Zakaria
    The brain tends towards avoidance of the worst of times despite the actual times.

    Helen, I wonder if you would take that attitude if these things actually started happening. May I remind you that I'm not a religious nut so that is not going to work.
    Last edited by Zippo; 07-18-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •