Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Retro Console/Game/PC Geekdom Thread

The All-Inclusive Retro Console/Game/PC Geekdom Thread

So, I figure this could probably be a separate thread from "What are you playing" etc etc since a lot of it will probably be nostalgia bullshit and stuff. Spikey and I were showing each other our Super Nintendo collections and I found an old boxed Famicom game I have and um, well. I ended up buying a Famicom in the box with all of its peripherals and two controllers for myself as an early birthday present on impulse just now I'm really excited to get it in the mail and start playing imports.

I bought the AV (In the US we got a similar model for the NES in the 90s called the "Control Deck" which is similarly great) version so that it'll work without much hassle on my modern TV and outlets:

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    YAY a retro gaming thread.

Well.

One of the most important aspects of PC retrogaming for me has always been the music. To experience the composed music fully the way it was meant in the late 80s, you had to have the Roland MT-32 synthesizer. It was a relatively cheap device aimed at the home PC market, and game developers composed music on it. It has a small programmable memory, which is wiped everytime you turn the device off. This is why games needed to communicate with the device, to save and load the programming in coded messages over the MIDI channel, named SysEx. Games could thus quickkly program the device by sending a SysEx to it. Of course modern PCs don't have MIDI ports, but that is easily solved with a USB-to-MIDI device. it is vital to have one that can transmit SysEx when using the MT-32.

A typical topnotch MT32 soundtrack example;

Kings Quest IV (1988);

It can be a hassle to set it up correctly, but I do think it is worth the effort. Some of the later games also need the soundblaster output on a seperate channel for voices and sounds, in addition to the music.
    The MT32 can be succesfully emulated these days by means of a program called MUNT (never tried that myself).
    Example of that;

Colonel's Bequest (1989);

When general MIDI became the standard, the Roland SC-55 was best for playing music;

That device is easier to set up because it has a line in, too, so you can put the soundblaster sounds through it.
    Some of the later soundtracks still sounded much better on the MT32 though.
    Here's an example of a comparison of the same track on different devices, among them the MT32 and the SC55.

Dune II (1992);
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It's not using the old systems and equipment, and a lot of these games can be bought in the nintendo eShop, but I like http://nintendo8.com/ to get a NES fix from time to time.

We had an Msx 2 when we were young.
    Those old Konami games were the BOMB!
    post28!

Toughest enemy in the history of gaming.

I saw a Nintendo GameCube in the retro museum section of a local shop the other day. I do not believe that was 13 years ago.

I loved my GameCube. There were truly some great games on that console.

Horribly underrated console. In retrospect, I really regret not paying more attention to what was coming out when it was the current platform. So many treasured games that I never did end up playing.

We have a gamecube in the house that appears to be a super smash bros machine and nothing else.

Well, that's why a softmodded old regular Wii is so superb; it is

1. also a GameCube
    2. perfect for homebrew; by means of a few software glitches and tricks in combination with SD cards, you can easily turn it into a SNES, Genesis, GBA, whatever.

The GameCube was great.
    Games like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Smash Bros Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Geist, etc. etc. were topnotch.

Unlikely as it sounds, most games published by Nintendo itself on the NGC perform better in terms of graphics than Xbox games of that generation http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5148.

^It's true! I still say that the Resident Evil remake for the GameCube remains one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

^ great example.

It is too bad that many third party games performed far worse on the cube than on the PS2 or Xbox (like X-men Legends) because the developers didn't take or have the time to study and use the NGC hardware fully. An exception to this is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, very highly recommended on ye olde cube.

The GameCube also has, if you ask me, probably the last great controller that didn't follow the standard FC/SFC dogbone that later led to the DualShock.

I highly recommend the official white Wii styled GameCube controllers with extra looooooooong cables, Japan only. Go import.

I have two of them, never was fanboy happier with a ffing controller.

ETA: omg, I have this flashforward of me, Robert and Soignee playing crappy X-men Legends II with popcorns with a team of Phoenix, Scarlet Witch, Rogue and Storm.

Omg. This will happen. ALSO - the GameCube version of that arcade game Gauntlet? Unmatched easy fun.