Thread: Camera question

Camera question

You know how wide screen TVs are the norm now and nobody makes 4:3 ones anymore? Is the same true for cameras? Has the shape of photos changed too, or am I imagining this? Google did not answer my question.

[ validated ]
    I think photo formats and sizes have always been changing and evolving.

If you go to this link you can see a list of different film formats and their image sizes.

The square format has made a big comeback in recent years, thanks to the mobile photography / instagram movement.

The modern digital photography and editing tools of today give us more custom control than ever before.
    Last edited by C33; 08-19-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I put some of my pictures on a digital picture frame and found that they looked wonky and I thought maybe it was because my digital camera is old. I hadn't thought about instagram, etc.

Well, film SLRs have always been 3x2. Medium format was 4.5x6, or square most of the time.

I think that the most common ratios in digital would be 4x3 and 16x9 in the consumer market, and 3x2 (as a holdover from the film days) in the DLSR world.

Aspect ratio is the term that I could not remember. It looks like I can change it on my camera.