Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulnicura Thread

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Vulnicura Thread

VULNICURA out now on iTunes:

iTunes UK Link

6 songs written by björk, 2 songs co-written with arca, 1 with john flynn
    string arrangements by björk
    6 songs produced by björk & arca, 1 by björk & arca & the haxan cloak, 2 by björk
    mixed by the haxan cloak except 2 songs mixed by the haxan cloak and chris elms
    mastered by mandy parnell
    1. Stonemilker
    2. Lionsong
    3. History of Touches
    4. Black Lake
    5. Family
    6. Notget
    7. Atom Dance
    8. Mouth Mantra
    9. Quicksand

dear websitefolks , fans , tweeters and my music supporters on all the sorts of www :
    vulnicura will be rolling out worldwide over the next 24 hours !!
    http://smarturl.it/vulnicura
    i am so grateful you are still interested in my work !!
    i appreciate every little bit !!!
    i wanted to tell you the tale of making of this album
    i guess i found in my lap one year into writing it a complete heartbreak album . kinda surprised how thoroughly i had documented this in pretty much accurate emotional chronology .... like 3 songs before a break up and three after . so the anthropologist in me sneaked in and i decided to share them as such . first i was worried it would be too self indulgent but then i felt it might make it even more universal . and hopefully the songs could be a help , a crutch to others and prove how biological this process is : the wound and the healing of the wound . psychologically and physically . it has a stubborn clock attached to it .
    there is a way out
    and then a magic thing happened to me : as i lost one thing something else entered . alejandro contacted me late summer 2013 and was interested in working with me . it was perfect timing . to make beats to the songs would have taken me 3 years ( like on vespertine ) but this enchanted arca would visit me repeatedly and only few months later we had a whole album !!! it is one of the most enjoyable collaboration i have had !
    i then went ahead and wrote string and choir arrangements and recorded them in iceland
    towards the end of the album i started looking around for a mixing engineer and was introduced by a mutual friend of ours , robin carolan to the haxan cloak . he mixed the album and also made a beat for one half of "family" . together with chris elms the engineer we kinda formed a band during the mixing process and this is the album we made !!!
    i do hope you enjoy it
    i would like to thank this overqualified little team ( where roles often blurred )
    . i also would like to thank robin , his generous approvals gave me more courage to complete this as is .
    and my group of songswapping / dj friends : the right tune can truly cure : ta for those sonic ointments
    but most of all i would like to thank my team : james merry , derek birkett and emma birkett . rosemary and elisa . this album could not have been done without you

from the Björk forum:
    hi forum folks. i am very grateful for your loyalty and respect during the album leak. honoured that some of you would wait until march …. but perhaps now you won’t need to wait so long …. ! warmth, björk
    Last edited by ebby; 01-23-2015 at 05:34 PM.

[thumbs up]

There are also two more bits of information, but they're already a year old.

Last autumn, some guy from Björk's team (Frank Cassata - I think he was a member of the Biophilia entourage) posted some photos and a short audio/video snippet on his Instagram from a recording session in the Nordic House in Iceland. It featured Björk overlooking the recording of a string section. AFAIK the Instagram post was deleted but somebody managed to upload it to YouTube:

Also last autumn, some French film journalist was tweeting about going to Iceland to see some Matthew Barney-related production at a festival in Reykjavik, and she apparently met with Björk, who at that point had "just finished recording vocals for one of the new songs". Of course it's unconfirmed, but it makes sense because Björk spends the second half of the year in Iceland.

ETA:

Last edited by rubidoux; 09-30-2014 at 09:22 PM.

We haven't had strings on a Björk song for ages! Although Medúlla, Volta and Biophilia left me a bit cold I'm really looking forward to this new album.

Banned
    So pumped that Arca is working on this album!

A new Bjork is always intriguing. I hope this time we don't just get a great artistic vision and production, but some actually interesting songs and melodies as well (looking at you, Biophilia).
    post28!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    A new Bjork is always intriguing. I hope this time we don't just get a great artistic vision and production, but some actually interesting songs and melodies as well (looking at you, Biophilia).
    Volta deserves that treatment.

Volta > Biophilia in my book
    post28!

Banned
    I tried so hard to understand Volta and it's the one Bjork album that stumps me lol. Those two duets with Anthony are so boring and produced two of her worst singles being Wanderlust and Declare Independence, Earth Intruders though.

It's time to kill Fjork.

Banned

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Personally, I've found her post-vespertine work to be really interesting, often challenging, but ultimately very rewarding. Especially in the case of Medulla and Biophilia, which are possibly currently my favourites of her entire body of work.

But with Björk, any new album is an exciting prospect musically, regardless of whether it ends up being to your taste or not, as she really is one of those maverick voices still exploring her own musical language and pushing it to different corners each time.

Volta has never held together as an album for me, but I do adore quite a lot of the songs on it. There's some good stuff in there, but it's a bit of a hodgepodge on the whole.

Yeah, I don't think Bjork has to change anything about the path she is treading. Biophilia isn't always my favorite thing to listen to, but I will never not be in awe of it. Volta has my favorite Bjork song ever in Dull Flame, and Medulla is also an incredibly interesting and daring record.

Banned
    This is blasphemous but these days I think Medulla is a better record than Homogenic.

Quote Originally Posted by TASpark658 View Post
    This is blasphemous but these days I think Medulla is a better record than Homogenic.