Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vulnicura Thread

Volta came alive for me when I heard the songs performed live, which is sort of how B planned it, I think- after Medulla, straight into another album rather than a tour, so by the time Volta was finished she had subconsciously created a set of 'touring' songs, or at least that's how I took it.

It amazes me when people say Biophilia has no real songs or melodies- it's her strongest set of songs in ages IMHO and right up there with Vespertine in terms of both my admiration and love. She really has never disappointed me with her output except perhaps a tad with Volta....until I heard the songs live

My only gripe lately has been her tentative move towards 'crowd funding' which was crass for someone of her standing. It's a tough world out there for everybody these days and artists need to get da cash from wherever, but going cup-in-hand to fans for funding while developing a new album model (apps) that will further enrich Apple, one of he world's richest corporations, is the only slight tarnish on the Biophilia period for me...but it's a minute complaint!

I don't get all the Volta hate. It's a good album.

From the post-GH albums I like Medúlla the most. It has some amazing songs, great catchy melodies, and a quasi-experimental concept that actually adds to the experience rather than brings the whole record down. She proved that you can have an outlandish idea for an album (vocals only!) and still deliver a great LP that has both an immediate side ("Who Is It", "Triumph of a Heart", "Where Is the Line") and an experimental one ("Ancestors", "Desired Constellation", the vocal interludes).

Volta isn't by any means a shitty album but compared to what came before it, it was a huge disappointment for me. There are some good songs here and there but a huge chunk of the album seems to be a directionless, dulled down by boring brass arrangements mess. The exciting stuff from people like Konono No.1, Toumani Diabaté and Min Xiao Fen is reduced to minimum. The whole record seems half-baked, uninspired and rushed.

Biophilia was an improvement but I have many issues with the production. I understand that she wanted to make the songs sound as bare as possible (to highlight the musicological/educational elements) but stripping them back so much exposed flaws in songwriting. And made her clunky lyrics even more cringeworthy. I think the records would be miles better if she spend more time working on detailed production rather than trying to shoe-horn the songs to fit her educational project.

But she's over being 'pedagogic' now, as she said in the last interview. So yeah, bring the next one.

Medulla is one of my top albums. Volta is kind of an interesting failure. Biophilia is one of those albums that I can recognize as a competent but never feel like listening to. Oddly, Tori and PJ released albums that same year which I feel the same way about. With Biophilia, it's almost like she was trying to make up for some of the silliness of Volta by making this cold, scientific and super serious project. If I listen to anything from this album, it's most likely Virus, either original or remixed.

Quote Originally Posted by abaddog View Post
    My only gripe lately has been her tentative move towards 'crowd funding' which was crass for someone of her standing. It's a tough world out there for everybody these days and artists need to get da cash from wherever, but going cup-in-hand to fans for funding while developing a new album model (apps) that will further enrich Apple, one of he world's richest corporations, is the only slight tarnish on the Biophilia period for me...but it's a minute complaint!
    Wasn't the Kickstarter actually for an Android version? I believe she did the Apple version without crowd funding. With that said, I don't really buy into the idea that you have to be a starving artist to utilize crowd funding. Whether you get the money from a corporation, who then recoups their investment by charging the fans, or whether the artist just asks the fans for support directly, either way, fans are providing monetary support for an artist's endeavors.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beulah Land View Post
    I don't get all the Volta hate. It's a good album.
    amen!
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Medulla and Biophilia, which have the reputation as her most difficult albums, have some of her most immediate melodies imo - Who Is It, Triumph of a Heart, Oceania, Virus, Crystalline, Cosmogony. They're all really strong. I think they're two of my favourite of her records. I'm excited about what she comes up with next.

The Antony duets are divine (Dull Flame especially) and Wanderlust is too, and all of Volta is for that matter! #justice #for #Volta
    I'd take Medulla/Volta/Biophilia over Homogenic any day. I still can't get into that one apart from the singles.

I'm really looking forward to strings, they give me Vespertine vibes.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Jupiter View Post
    I'm really looking forward to strings, they give me Vespertine vibes.
    There's one more thing to keep in mind - Björk is also working on an audio-visual piece with Andrew Huang for her MoMA retrospective (which BTW will apparently feature some shots of Icelandic nature) and those strings might have been recorded for that, and don't necessarily indicate the sound of the new album. But then again, the piece in question might end up on the record after all, so you never know.

From Björk's facebook page:

we are so sorry, but since björk is already working on her next album (out in 2015!) she can not come to the 'biophilia live' premiere at the london film festival this week. many sorries, and be well.

^^ Yes!!!! I wonder if we'll get it on the first or second half of 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshMownGrass View Post
    From Björk's facebook page:
    Yay!

Arca's album, Xen, is out and it sucks. It's just a bunch of electronic noodling passing off as forward-looking and avant-garde. Sure, there's a few interesting sounds here and there, but they rarely come together to form a palatable piece of music. Most of what's on Xen is amelodic and dissonant. It comes off as the bull$#@t performance art of music albums. And of course a bunch of hipsters will praise it for... reasons. But Jesus H. Christ! When did melodies become such a crime!? All of a sudden, Aphex Twin's Syro sounds like heaven! I'm all for challenging music, but this is just irritating.

So now, of course, I'm super worried about Bjork's upcoming album since Arca is seemingly the only other producer on it. I'd really appreciate it if there was no concept on this next album and it was just a collection of really solid pop songs. I'm not in the mood for another contrived project where the quality of the music feels secondary.

Well, she collaborated with Timbaland on Volta and that didn't turn out that great, yet his production style is safe and melodic. I think the album will already be shaped into whatever Bjork is aiming for prior to the production of it, so I think we're pretty safe. Because of that one clip of the string instruments, I feel like the album will have a classical feel to it, with some beats added in. I'm kind of over the brass instruments at this point, though.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltic View Post
    I'm kind of over the brass instruments at this point, though.
    Completely agree. The brass instruments were a nice change, but I'm ready for her to bring back the strings.