Thread: HIV+

Banned

HIV+

So I thought about writing this for awhile off and on and never sure how to do it. I know most people don't know much about me and I wanted to share something personal. Well first off i'm 30, I live in London, Ontario with my black cat Mayor Floyd. I don't work at the moment but am getting disability money. I was never ashamed of this because well 8 years ago I found out I had HIV+. I remember going to work (worked at a call centre and infact worked at too many) and getting on the phones and blanking out. Not being able to communicate with the person I didn't even know; It was scary and I quit that day. Since that day i've been pretty much a social phobic but with my few friends and family i'm myself. I got a job in the last 8 years but got pheumonia and had to quit. Thankfully with disbaility in Canada I can get a job and they take 50 of my enerings but still assist and than eventually when I get a good paying job I can quit them full stop (which is my future plan to be a photographer or just a job I enjoy soon). I'm mainly writing this to see if anyone else has been effected by this disease.

I came very small town and moved to a not much bigger one; it wasn't naive but being from there we barely had a gay population let alone the tought of HIV+ (although HIV is not a gay disease in the least). So I moved and meet a few people and had a one night stand. We got together and I had a condom on my desk and I asked him straight if we needed it, turns out we did. I don't want to get into more details of that tale but it was devasting. I'm fine with the fact of having it after all this time but still feel that stigma. I started meds this past year and honestly had no idea the actual capability they possessed. People can literally get their viral load to be O% and after medication has kicked in the chances of passing the disease for me are 99% but some people go as far as to say a billion to one. I feel these days something like diabetes is a far worse place to be in and get better every day at a time. So it was shot in the dark but anyone dealing with it; we will find a cure very soon and it's not what you think.
    Last edited by TASpark658; 10-15-2014 at 05:09 AM.

HIV+

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you've gotten on meds - it's so important because it drastically reduces the risk of transmission to others along with correct and consistent condom use.

I've been positive since 2005 and am currently the healthiest I've been in my entire life, thanks to my sobriety along with good diet and exercise. I've been fortunate enough to have had only positive reactions when I've disclosed my status to others (potential partners and otherwise).

Hang in there. Are you on disability due to the HIV or some other issue?
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Banned
    I'm glad you're feeling healthy Waylon. and I also have had nothing but positive reactions myself. I was worried but honestly haven't had many people think negatively and those who have tend be 50+ (maybe because they were around when it was at it's worst?).

I'm disabilty because well I didn't want to be in that space with all these people I didn't know (worked mainly call centers before I stopped). I am getting a looking to get a job again in the next month or two, not a long term thing for sure and a job I love because man call centers are pretty monotonous.

I'm confused. You got disability, even though your viral load is undetectable and you're quite healthy? Or you got disability when you were really sick? Is it common for HIV positive people to get disability? (I'm asking because I'm curious, not because I'm trying to be an asshole).
    Last edited by Cunter Fartlett; 10-17-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Banned
    I assumed the disability was because of the compounded stress of a difficult job, social anxiety issues, and then the diagnosis. I'd be surprised if disability is offered for those with HIV (not AIDS) in America but dunno.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    I assumed the disability was because of the compounded stress of a difficult job, social anxiety issues, and then the diagnosis. I'd be surprised if disability is offered for those with HIV (not AIDS) in America but dunno.
    Ya that's why, I was thankful I had the option only because working was something I couldn't do for the longest time.

That's awesome, I'm actually surprised. I'm glad you're doing well, TASpark.