Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

I've come around to some of this, mostly the Antonoff collabs on the second half. It's just a shame that she is more interested in posturing over pop music styles that don't suit her at best and sound ridiculous at worst, over like, writing good songs.

"My reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me" is a line that has some promise. Most of what we get is this convoluted victim narrative that isn't compelling at all. I'm just so confused by her. She has the ability to write great music. I hope with the next record she matures into the a songwriter who respects the music more than selling the most units.

This performance on Jimmy Fallon was great:

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    I really love Delicate and New Year's Day. Getaway Car is totally the new Out of the Woods.

This thread is a must-read for some context behind the Jimmy Kimmel performance.

https://twitter.com/mikedicenzo/stat...95840564043776

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    This thread is a must-read for some context behind the Jimmy Kimmel performance.

https://twitter.com/mikedicenzo/stat...95840564043776
    I love you @Jake ..I came in here to post that background info about the performance and thought to myself "I bet Jake has already posted this."

Quote Originally Posted by BettahDevil View Post
    I really love Delicate and New Year's Day. Getaway Car is totally the new Out of the Woods.
    those are my 3 favorites so far...though nothing will ever top Out of the Woods for me. that song is perfection.

i really hope she doesn't go with End Game as a single...all of the "darker", vengeful stuff feels so forced, the same way the album cover tries so hard to look edgy. i just don't buy it from her.

I gotchu, @MikeEP! But yeah, it's important context especially when you see Jimmy's reaction at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I gotchu, @MikeEP! But yeah, it's important context especially when you see Jimmy's reaction at the end.
    I can’t watch the video right now (my mom and I are traveling to NOLA for Tori, and we JUST listened to Reputation, so she’d think I was crazy!), but I love that three-time hand squeeze coincidence (was it one, or did she know the story?)!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    WOW
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post
    Thank you for the “Absolutely.” I’ll trade you one for another. Absolutely. It’s kind of scary to consider how many jobs depend on Taylor Swift!
    Interesting take. I feel like she’s unbreakable, but, yeah, she’ll be approaching 30 in 2019-2020. Her choices will be limited, and her only choices may be to cross back to country (or, really, a more singer-songwriter thing) or possibly sort of alternative-ish songwriter-centered pop rock. She’ll always have that core fan base of at least half a million people. She could always be, you know, a Tori Amos-type figure. Also, this may be the last cycle during which people will accept her being “sexy,” so I’m glad she’s embracing it. Not that 30 is actually old, but in the pop world...
    I see her doing a live album or an entirely acoustic album maybe 10-15 years from now. LOL She'll definitely try to keep mixing things up and when you go platinum in just 4 days.. wow. Just wow.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

I love the album...delicate and end game are on constant repeat, I can’t live without them. It doesn’t have the highs of 1989 but also doesn’t have the lows. I don’t dislike any of the songs.

People throw around “narcissist” so casually...look it up. Taylor is not. They’re burning all the witches even if you aren’t one.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I didn't understand the Taylor magic until "Getaway Car". I think it's the best song she's ever done and perfect pop bliss.

And for folks commenting on longevity....when your 4th album in a row sells more than a million in the first week...it’s like Elvis, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Taylor Swift, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I didn't understand the Taylor magic until "Getaway Car". I think it's the best song she's ever done and perfect pop bliss.
    it's really great! it really is the same kind of magic I was referring to earlier in this thread that you hear in songs like Out of the Woods and Style.

I keep thinking about how differently this whole era might have been received if she had picked different singles/promo tracks. i have no issue with Look What You Made Me Do as a lead single/video and actually think it was a fun wink at the whole controversy around her so far, but i wish she'd let that be her statement about it and moved on from the pettiness. Getaway Car or Delicate next would have been so refreshing.

I Did Something Bad is also insanely catchy and could have been a single without the gunshots in the chrus..i mentioned it earlier but i just wish they had replaced them with a different sound. i also think the "burning all the witches" line coming from her of all people would not play well in the political climate of 2017.

I've seen a lot of mixed reactions but I finally had a listen and I pretty much love most of it. End Game can die in a fire, and So Be It is forgettable, but I'm really digging the rest of it. And there are some pretty killer, trademark-Taylor lyrics throughout.

Also, why does everyone seem to hate This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things? One of my faves! Along with Getaway Car and Dancing with Our Hands Tied.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased