Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

I really, really like the new Taylor Swift song.

http://www.sift-thru.com/sift-thru/2...song-from-1989

Like.... a lot.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    So do I, Jake. I'm really surprised because I thought Shake It Off was so boring and generic, but I like this one a lot. It just has something that really gets into my brain in the best way. I've been singing it nonstop since I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    So do I, Jake. I'm really surprised because I thought Shake It Off was so boring and generic, but I like this one a lot. It just has something that really gets into my brain in the best way. I've been singing it nonstop since I heard it.
    Exactly. "Shake It Off" also grew on me, but like you said, it's overall generic. This is instant, and has interesting production, solid songwriting, and instant pop sensibility. The adlibs and overdubbing are perfectly placed, and the bridge is euphoric. I just love the "in the clear yet? GOOD" bit.

Banned
    Never have I once been able to say a Taylor Swift song is a guilty pleasure until I heard this Out of the Woods...ya this is happening.

Also well this:

Last edited by TASpark658; 10-14-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Taylor Swift has always been too country for me, but with Red she won me over big time. (State of Grace is a killer opening)
    I do like Shake It Off but this new one is freaking great pop music.
    I read that her new album is sort of inspired by 80's pop diva's like Annie Lennox and Madonna. I can totally hear some eurythmics in this track!
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by TASpark658 View Post
    Also well this:

Oh. My. God.
    All my future husbands appear on that video.

I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift. I think I like... 4 songs of her. Maybe five. Six, If I count the New one.
    I'm still not sure about Shake It Off. It's a fun song, the kind of song that you can dance without dancing in a party with your friends.
    But what I really like about her is that she's the least sexual thing out there in contemporary pop music. She's selling songs, not sex. And I think that must not be an easy thing nowadays.

Now, let's go back to the important thing and let's watch again the guys on that video.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I started paying attention to Taylor when she released "Love Song" from her second album. It was just really well crafted country pop. I've always loved country crossovers in pop (Shania, Faith, Carrie) and she just executed everything flawlessly. Her public persona grated on me a little because she did seen disingenuous during award shows and the like. But she was also 18. Who knows how we would act with that kind of stardom that young? Then came her third and fourth albums, both packed with fantastic pop songs and the occasional meh track. But as a whole, especially Red, she just keeps getting better. Her songwriting and vocals have improved exponentially.

There is such extreme vitrol towards her, and I won't pretend to play dumb as to why. Her dating and confessional style of music makes for instant tabloid fodder, and people love that shit. But with this latest album, I think she's truly shedding that part of her persona and embracing being a young woman and even a feminist, as she old Rolling Stone. Who gives a shit who she dates or how many guys she dates? It's her life. It's her creative expression of the emotions she felt during those relationships, no matter how short or meaningful the public perceives. It's misogynistic to attack her but continue celebrating George Clooney's latest fiancé.

So yeah. I guess this post is me coming out and saying I love Taylor Swift and haters gonna hate hate hate.

I never cared much for TSwift's music, or at least those few crossover singles from her early records that made it onto pop radio--I thought of her as trite, treacly, etc.--but I really enjoyed the singles from Red, so I was interested to hear new music from her. I wasn't crazy about Shake It Off at first, but it seriously grew on me to the point where I now really like it, and I REALLY like the Out of the Woods song. These new singles, plus her great cover of Riptide for BBC Live Lounge, have basically turned me into a fan. I also appreciate her outspoken feminism. And the fact that Lorde likes her enough to publicly call her a friend. I mean, what better endorsement could you ask for?

In other new: I had never heard Ghost by Ella Henderson until this past weekend and I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

"See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Also, let's not forget this amazing performance!

post28!

My daughter has gotten into Taylor Swift. I'm surprised at much I don't mind it! Maybe she needs her own thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

So yeah. I guess this post is me coming out and saying I love Taylor Swift and haters gonna hate hate hate.
    Well just shake it off.....

That song needs to be turned into a peeing parody!

Taylor had great songs on Red(State of grace and self titled comes to mind) so i'm hopeful for a record that is solid from start to finish.The two songs we heard until now(especially Out of the Woods) are promising.

The performance above,damn that is Tori influence, right ? The mannerisms and such.Great one nonetheless.
    the draught was the very worst

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    I still think her "deep" songs are rather insipid. (That Grammy performance made me nauseous.) But her pop material is utterly winning. And I she seems sweet, down to earth, and intelligent. I'm pretty much all on board and ready to hear this album. "Out of the Woods" is one of the best pop tunes I've heard in ages.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    The performance above,damn that is Tori influence, right ? The mannerisms and such.

Absolutely. She's a Tori fan herself, she did some song-snippets once in a performance about singer/songwriters she loved and she did a bit of ASF.

Edit: found it!

post28!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Taylor doesn't have her own page in the OMA? Well, I like the new song Jake posted. I like it quite a lot.
    I probably like about 4 songs outside of RED. One being "The Best Day" which is the most sugary, stupid song.. but for some reason I find it endearing.

The album RED is pretty much perfect. I don't care that she sings pretty badly at live award shows. That album is flawless. And that's a recent opinion from me. I have been very vocal about not being a fan pre-Red.

Maybe she gets her own page in the OMA for 1989? I'm not going to start it because 12 people from the onset gonna roll their eyes and avoid posting in it for posterity. lol.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush