Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

I LOVE This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things! It's such an anthem. "Because you break them..."
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

I gave reputation a listen over the weekend. I'm still a sucker for the opening track but after that, the songs start sticking together so they're hard to tell apart. The last 3 songs are pretty good: I'm loving the humor of This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Call It What You Want is sweet and shows her vulnerable side and New Year's Day confirms she still knows how to write a thoughtful ballad.

I think there's a lot to like about this new album, but most of the good stuff is in the second half. While I love the opening track, the majority of the first half sounds way too much the same productionwise: too much sweeping dark synths. And
    The second half fares better, with (indeed) getaway car being the biggest highlight (I mean, that chord shift to the bridge), and I really love New Year's Day.
    Still, it never ever reaches the heights of 1989 standouts (like Out of the Woods, Style, All you had to do, I know places, This Love) and I was kinda hoping for that magic spark again.
    post28!

I dunno. All the things I liked about 1989 are present here, to me. It's a little moodier/darker, for sure. I do agree that things start to run together, but I have that complaint about most albums, so. I mean, there are exceptions, but generally I'm like "ten tracks is plenty lol."

I see a lot of people complaining about some of the lyrics/tone/her bratty attitude, but bratty Taylor is kinda what does it for me, what can I say?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Huh, I think it blends together far less than 1989. I was actually thinking to myself how impressed I was that each song had distinct character.

and here's the lame video for End Game. this era is such a flop (creatively, not commercially obviously). she's got songs like Delicate and Getaway Car to choose from but instead she doubles down on making this be like Bad Blood: The Album. the scenes with her and Ed Sheeran are laughably tone deaf.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Just looking at Ed Sheeran makes me want to take a shower.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I really love the album as a whole, which surprised me. I haven't been a Taylor fan up until now. The single choices have baffled me. I liked Ready For It, but LWYMMD and End Game are my least favorite songs on the album.

Sober, I mostly hate this. Sometimes I play it loudly when I drink lol.

It just sounds so sterile and joyless, even though some of the songs are good. "End Game" is offensive to me. Her posturing over what she thinks is trap music is vile.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy
    Just looking at Ed Sheeran makes me want to take a shower.
    Looking at Ed Sheeran makes me feel like I'm trapped in The Shire.

I understand "End game" as a single, because Ed Sheeran fans will also listen to the song, which means more money. (I still can't believe I live in a world where "Ed Sheeran fans" is something that actually exists).
    "Look what you made me do" was a great first single because of the video. I love the song, but now I see that as a single it just wouldn't work. But the video has all the DRAMAAAAA we like, and that's why it was a success. I think "I did something bad" could've been a great first single with a similar topic in the video.
    "Ready for it?" is really good but wtf is that video.

I guess "Getaway car" will be the single with the live video, and hopefully they'll release "Call it what you want" and "I did something bad" as singles too (IDSB really deserves a supernatural video inspired by The Crucible).
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Regarding the End Game video: I don't want to watch videos of rich people on yachts having their fun times. It makes me want to sink your yacht. I turned the video off within a minute. No thanks.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

I generally refer to Ed Sheeran as "Ginger Potato Cunt".