Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I didn't understand the Taylor magic until "Getaway Car". I think it's the best song she's ever done and perfect pop bliss.

And for folks commenting on longevity....when your 4th album in a row sells more than a million in the first week...it’s like Elvis, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Taylor Swift, etc...

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I didn't understand the Taylor magic until "Getaway Car". I think it's the best song she's ever done and perfect pop bliss.
    it's really great! it really is the same kind of magic I was referring to earlier in this thread that you hear in songs like Out of the Woods and Style.

I keep thinking about how differently this whole era might have been received if she had picked different singles/promo tracks. i have no issue with Look What You Made Me Do as a lead single/video and actually think it was a fun wink at the whole controversy around her so far, but i wish she'd let that be her statement about it and moved on from the pettiness. Getaway Car or Delicate next would have been so refreshing.

I Did Something Bad is also insanely catchy and could have been a single without the gunshots in the chrus..i mentioned it earlier but i just wish they had replaced them with a different sound. i also think the "burning all the witches" line coming from her of all people would not play well in the political climate of 2017.

overall though this album is really growing on me...the best tracks almost feel like they could be a Side B to 1989 a la E*MO*TION, especially these ones:

Delicate
    Getaway Car
    Dancing With Our Hands Tied
    Dress
    Call It What You Want
    New Year's Day

I've seen a lot of mixed reactions but I finally had a listen and I pretty much love most of it. End Game can die in a fire, and So Be It is forgettable, but I'm really digging the rest of it. And there are some pretty killer, trademark-Taylor lyrics throughout.

Also, why does everyone seem to hate This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things? One of my faves! Along with Getaway Car and Dancing with Our Hands Tied.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I LOVE This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things! It's such an anthem. "Because you break them..."
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

I gave reputation a listen over the weekend. I'm still a sucker for the opening track but after that, the songs start sticking together so they're hard to tell apart. The last 3 songs are pretty good: I'm loving the humor of This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Call It What You Want is sweet and shows her vulnerable side and New Year's Day confirms she still knows how to write a thoughtful ballad.

I think there's a lot to like about this new album, but most of the good stuff is in the second half. While I love the opening track, the majority of the first half sounds way too much the same productionwise: too much sweeping dark synths. And
    The second half fares better, with (indeed) getaway car being the biggest highlight (I mean, that chord shift to the bridge), and I really love New Year's Day.
    Still, it never ever reaches the heights of 1989 standouts (like Out of the Woods, Style, All you had to do, I know places, This Love) and I was kinda hoping for that magic spark again.
    post28!

I dunno. All the things I liked about 1989 are present here, to me. It's a little moodier/darker, for sure. I do agree that things start to run together, but I have that complaint about most albums, so. I mean, there are exceptions, but generally I'm like "ten tracks is plenty lol."

I see a lot of people complaining about some of the lyrics/tone/her bratty attitude, but bratty Taylor is kinda what does it for me, what can I say?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Huh, I think it blends together far less than 1989. I was actually thinking to myself how impressed I was that each song had distinct character.