Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

Apparently some places in Germany are selling the Taylor's 1989 album early. Some fans bought it at Tesco. If anyone in Germany sees it... I want!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Today on one of the largest pop stations in Kentucky Tove Lo's "Habits" played every hour. I kept asking people if it was Miley or KT Perry or just who was singing this song with the awesome beat and lyrics that I had to google to understand. And maybe she released this in 2013. It's just getting to Kentucky, now.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Banned
    1989 is out and downloading, i'm so excited and it's still weird

*Edit* So far it's odd because Blank Space is an entire song about Starbucks and not very good and than Style is 80's at it's best so in for something.

*Edit* Just finished the standard part and onto the deluxe songs but Blank Space is honestly the only song that I disliked, great album and great hooks.
    Last edited by TASpark658; 10-24-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Screw it, Taylor Swift gets her own thread!

1989 is playing right now. First listen. So far so really good (and Out of the woods is still fanfuckingtastic).

I'm turning into quite the fan...
    post28!

Yay!

1989 is a brilliant pop masterpiece.

Gave the full deluxe a spin this morning and yes, it's a brilliant pop album. With the voice memos, it's quite an undertaking so there is still a lot to discover. But that's a good thing! Some songs were instant ("Style" "Blank Page" "Wildest Dreams" "Clean") and others will grow.

Honestly, "Welcome to New York" and "Shake It Off" are the weakest on first listen... and even those are a blast.

Highlights so far:

Blank Space
    Style (that chorus)
    Out of the Woods
    All you had to do was stay (that bridge)
    This Love
    I know places

All in all an excellent pop album where even the weaker tracks are a great listen. It's not as 80's as I thought in terms of production, and I guess that's a good thing Also, how refreshing is it to get a solid pop record like this without a zillion collaborations or freaking pitbull, minaj or will.i.am messing everything up.
    She owns it!

(also, Bad Blood, Swift doing Lana Del Rey?)(ETA: I meant wildest dreams)
    post28!

Banned
    Man she went from some cereal dater who I disliked a lot to some girl I love. I mean Out of the Woods has so many referencse to Harry Styles and it's still amazing. *shrugs*
    Last edited by TASpark658; 10-25-2014 at 03:15 AM.

"Wildest Moments" was the one that made me think of Lana Del Rey, specifically "Without You."

How great is "Clean"? It's the perfect collaboration between Imogen and Taylor. That alone shows you that even when working with producers who have distinct sounds, Taylor's talents shine through. This at no time feels like Producers featuring Taylor Swift, which this album had potential to sound like with its numerous collaborators and the homogenous sound of pop.

PopJustice compared the cohesion to an 80s Madonna album, and I totally hear it. Even vocally, Madge in the 80s had a unique voice that wasn't traditional or strong. Taylor's definitely trends on the thin side, but she uses it perfectly.

Banned
    I love that it's one of those albums where you are constantly discovering new things; to narrow down favorite songs which I can do sometimes on 2nd listen I can't on third here.

Quote Originally Posted by TASpark658 View Post
    Man she went from some cereal dater who I disliked a lot to some girl I love. I mean Out of the Woods has so many referencse to Harry Styles and it's still amazing. *shrugs*
    I wonder what kind was her favorite? Frosted Flakes? Raisin Brand? In many states it's still against the law to date cereal!!
    Last edited by entropy; 10-25-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TASpark658 View Post

*Edit* So far it's odd because Blank Space is an entire song about Starbucks and not very good and than Style is 80's at it's best so in for something.

Can I ask what how this is a song about Starbucks? Confused.

In any event, Blank Space, Style, Out of The Woods, I Know Places, and New Romantics are the peaks. There are very few valleys as well, which is a relief. Shake It Off is the weakest thing here, next to Bad Blood, and Welcome To New York benefits from its first track placement as it does a nice job of setting the tone.

Taylor, I also have a long list of ex-lovers who will tell you I'm insane. I GET YOU BAE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I wonder what kind was her favorite? Frosted Flakes? Raisin Brand? In many states it's still against the law to date cereal!!
    Punishable by law but who doesn't love sneaking out with a Mini Wheat from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Shiver View Post
    Can I ask what how this is a song about Starbucks? Confused.
    When first hearing an album you can hear just about any lyrics and it sounded like Starbucks.

Banned
    My Top 5

New Romantics
    Wonderland
    Out of the Woods
    Style
    All You Had to Do Was Stay
    Bad Blood

I've decided recently that I really, really like her as a person. She grew up in public and made some mistakes, but she seemed to learn from them. What she's saying now about being alone, and being a feminist, is really great for girls/young women to hear. She's smart and funny, does shitloads of charity work, and is really nice to her fans. And she's truly beautiful in a wholesome sort of way, and she has great style.

All this, plus the critical acclaim she gets, has made me want to check out her music. (And I seldom listen to mainstream pop.) I haz the 1989, so we'll see.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama