Childfree people are just people who don't want kids!

At a friend’s house with a group of other mothers recently, the conversation turned to someone we all knew well: married, in her early 40s. But rather than mention her career, recent house move or the fact that she’d just returned from a backpacking trip around Asia, we all exchanged looks and brought up the subject of children – or lack of them.

I was as guilty as the rest of my friends: speculating on her “situation”, wondering if she couldn’t have children or didn’t want to. And if she didn’t want to – why not? Was she career obsessed? Did she not like them? Was she a secret drinker? Cheeks were sucked in and protective, adoring glances bestowed on the toddlers playing at our feet.

But our friend, I’ve since discovered, has simply chosen not to have children. She is happy for her family to be just her husband and herself. She has never felt the urge to be a mother.
I used to judge childfree women.

She never gets to how she 'discovered' this astounding piece of information - perhaps by breaking free of her coven of dumb, slanderous (secret drinker? really? really?) hens and actually asking her like a sensible human being would have in the first place?

Anyway, the comments are much better than the article in general.