Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Like Me

Please Like Me

I watched the first season yesterday, and the entire second season tonight. I'm in love. I want to shout from the rooftops how wonderful it is

How sad that this got no replies! I've been following the show since day one, I love it's awkwardness and silliness, and how fast it can go from that to darker tones. I heartily recommend it!
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

I love this show. Can't wait for Season 3.

never heard of it! I shall have to look it out

I love this show.
    A while ago, in one sleepless night, I was searching for gay TV shows and found this by accident.
    I watched both seasons at once.
    The episode where he goes hiking with his mother is a standout!
    I actually like how the show deals with her illness
    The one thing I never understand in these shows (not just this one) : How can they afford to live in that house? I don't remember him or his friend having any work?!
    But I guess that's just TV-logic.
    Great show

It's made clear so many times that his dad is paying for it.

A few of the early episodes show his roommate's workplace.

Season 3 premieres on October 16th in the US

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Never heard of this show. Will google and look into it for sure.

EDIT: How do you watch this show? Is it on a streaming service?
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Found it on Amazon, of course.
    I am 2 episodes in and I absolutely love it. I love when a 30 min show packs a big punch.

The scene in episode 1 where he is undressing behind the door and he has to keep pulling the handle and it keeps making that horrible screeching noise. lmao.
    There is so much original comedy it's just too cool, but what I really love more than anything, so early in the show, is his relationship with his dad. It's so sweet and you don't really get that from "gay shows." It's usually all about the relationship with the main character's mother.
    And at this point, Aunt Peg is giving me so much life. I love how she bullies him into coming to church. When she pulls back around to the party and she sees him with Jeff, I figured she was going to throw the tarts on the ground, but no, like a good ole aunt she has that slapstick/classic decorum thing going on and then the punchline that gets him to agree to go to church with her. Hahahaha.

Again, I love how much show they get into a 30 min episode, so far. I love that something that is mentioned earlier in a particular episode is brought back up later. When Peg is asking him about his testicles and he shuts her down but at the very end he asks Jeffery, just to make sure, they're the right size hahahahahaha.
    Last edited by Volta; 08-12-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    Season 3 premieres on October 16th in the US
    What channel will broadcast it?

I'm in the middle of season 2. I love this show so much. I love that season 2 really packs even more punch and they use a method of writing where the viewer doesn't have to see a time lapse to know what's gone down. What I mean is, it's clear that from episode 1 to episode 2, for instance, that some time has passed, but the show doesn't waste time filling in the gaps with footage or voice overs or a subtitle, etc.
    Like.. They show his mom really losing it EP. 1 and then the next episode she is already in the hospital. We don't need to see Josh or his father taking her.
    Or another example is later in the season Josh and Patrick are making out in a parking lot then time passes between the next episode and Patrick and Josh are an item. They break up right away, but they don't waste time showing how they came together in those days or maybe weeks...

Even the character of Patrick isn't explained. He's just there as a new roommate. They don't bother telling you when and how. You know he's been in the house for a while since he's so comfortable there. They might mention it very briefly later in the season at some point but it's very subtle. That's probably the best example of what i'm talking about.

Perhaps it isn't the writer so much as it is the way Australian shows are normally done. US/UK shows want you to see almost every little detail that's led up to a person being where they are.. or they employ a "2 weeks later" "1 month later" subtitle. I love that Please Like Me doesn't even bother to do this. They trust that the viewer will understand that time has passed. I don't know, again, if that's an Aussie formula or just Josh Thomas' formula.
    The writing is spectacularly done either way.
    Last edited by Volta; 08-24-2015 at 02:06 AM.

I don't get all the love for this programme? I have watched all of Season 1 and half of 2 in order to give it a really *really* fair shot. There are a few laughs here and there, but not many. The main character's accent is the most irritating hybrid of Australian\ValleyGirl\Welsh I've ever heard. Really I'd describe it as the Australian version of 'Girls', just sillier.

Until you mentioned Girls just now, I didn't even think about how much they're alike. I didn't think about Girls at all. Weird that. I guess they're the easiest way to compare shows to each other.

Still, PLM accomplishes so much more in the 30 min window. Much more like Sex And The City where there is a theme for the episode, a beginning a middle and a satisfying end. Girls has only ever had that a couple times in my opinion.

I look forward to every episode of PLM and how they're going to incorporate the shows theme song. The last episode I watched was the Camping Adventure with Josh and his mother and I thought it was so heart-warming while never losing one beat of comedy.

And, Abaddog, this is the only place I've ever seen people talking about this show. And we only have a bout a dozen replies with like 4-5 being from me alone. So.. I don't see where you're getting too much love from others with this programme. I wish it had more.