Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gourmet & Foodie Fodder

Gourmet & Foodie Fodder

Gourmets, gourmands, foodies, farmer's market aficionados. I'd love to hear of your latest succulents and delicacies. Reviews, links, restaurants, cooking shows, recipes, all are welcome! There's nothing I love more than a thick crusty bread, some olives, a rich cheese, and one hearty olive oil to rule them all. Throw a nice wine in there for good measure and it's the food o' the Gods.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

(ps. thanks to Fish Custard for inadvertently contributing to the thread title!)

Pancetta Crisps with Pear and Goat Cheese(recipe at Southern Living, of all places).

I came across this freakishly delicious recipe when searching for any kind of goat cheese and fruit appetizer.

^I'd intended to make those at Thanksgiving and chickened out. I had a huge list of eats, and a few of them were first time trials.... so, maybe next time! I'm still totally intrigued thinking about what it would taste like!

yu-hu-hummm! goat cheese was always the one cheese i could not stomach, but lately i've discovered a new liking for it. it pairs with pear (baaaadum..p) so nicely! and with crispy pancetta? yeah, i'm sold.

Icon15

I'm hungry! (i.e., I wish to subscribe to this thead!)

This isn't necessarily gourmet, but it's really delicious and hard to find in these parts. I love bauernbrot, a German sourdough loaf. There's a Jewish bakery downtown that used to make it, until their baker died. With the recipes in his head. FAIL. Publix has a seedless rye that comes close, but it's too soft. I've tried several recipes online, but they either don't turn out at all (don't rise, etc.), or they taste nothing like the real deal.

If any of you in the US are big fans of German food, GermanDeli.com has pretty much anything you can think of. They even have fresh bauernbrot, but it seems like every time I think to order it there, their baker is on vacation.

There's nothing like a delicious sourdough bread. My grandmother used to keep her yeast for ages and ages to keep making bread out of it. I've never had the one above, but it looks really good. I bet that would make a killer sandwich.

I don't consider Paula Deen gourmet, she's probably along the lines of fodder more than anything, haha, but I just made her Cinnamon Toast Trifle for a brunch and everyone raved about it. Very very good.

Another recipe I've used time and again is from Steamy Kitchen, her Baked Parmesan Garlic Wings - they're amazing and really easy to make.

CHEESE. I love all cheese. The stinkier and more pungent, the more I like it. We have an outrageously good italian pork store down the street and they have a truffled gruyere that is absolutely to die for.

I know this recipe has been shared before, but it's so good, and summer-appropriate, that I'm going to post it again:
    Mom's Gazpacho (from epicurious)
    Ingredients
    * 1 egg
    * 2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
    * 1/2 cup chopped green or yellow pepper
    * 1 cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    * 2/3 cup olive oil
    * Juice of 1/2 lemon
    * 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    * 1/4 cup finely minced parsley
    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
    * Pepper, coarsely ground
    * 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * Salt
    * 1 46-ounce can tomato juice
    * 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    * Tabasco, to taste

Place egg in small pot of cold water, bring to boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes.

In a pot or large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, cold beef broth (optional), red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire, and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Stir.

Sprinkle garlic with a pinch of salt, and set in bowl.

When egg is finished cooking, run under cold water, remove shell, add to garlic and salt mixture, and mash together with fork.

Pour tomato juice into large pot or bowl with vegetables, and add garlic, egg, and salt mixture. Add bread crumbs and stir so that they dissolve into liquid.

Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste. Chill for at least 4 hours and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley, minced red onion, and chopped olives if desired.

Cook's Notes: My recipe serves eight, and it's not worth the trouble to prepare this soup for one. But like homemade tomato sauce, its flavor improves with age—you can store it in the refrigerator and eat it for about a week.
    Why mash the garlic with egg and salt? To make a garlic-infused paste that adds body and substance to the tomato broth.
    Use kosher salt to bring out the flavors of the vegetables.
    Try to chop the vegetables so that they're small but not minced or pulverized, and don't worry if the sizes aren't uniform. The pieces should be small enough to chew but big enough to recognize.
    If you prefer a more elegant presentation, emulsify the chilled mixture before serving. Seasoning is a very personal matter. I tend to like my gazpacho pungent and sharp, with salt, lemon, and onion flavors lingering on the palate. If you prefer milder soup, reduce the onion, garlic, and vinegar quantities by half. If you want a spicier soup, add 2 teaspoons of minced jalepeo peppers. To make vegetarian gazpacho, substitute vegetable broth for beef broth.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz0rs6IH1XR

Her recipe calls for some type of broth (veggie or beef)-- we've omitted the broth altogether. The soup isn't as watery; instead, it forms the consistency of a good milkshake.
    Last edited by Banjee; 06-25-2010 at 01:38 PM.

I think i'm one of those rare 5% that dislikes truffles. There's a place down here that serves something called Disco Fries, which are thick cut potato fries with gorgonzola and truffle oil over it, and they're great after a night of drinking, but whoa. not something i'd eat on a normal day, they're much too rich. And the truffle oil puts me off. I've been known to eat things and right away identify that there are truffles in it -you can't mistake that strong taste!

Mario, I think I remember you putting that recipe up before and I wanted to try it but forgot, so I'm glad it's back. I'm definitely going to make it sometime soon, and i'm gonna doctor that bad boy up with the jalapeno as recommended since i love me some heat.

The great thing is that you can puree the gazpacho, throw a shot of vodka in it, and haveyourself a Bloody Mary (or as we call them around here-- a BLoody Mario )

Your a fan of Jalpenos? Have you tried my Jalapeno Cucumber Margarita?
    Ingredients:
    2 thin slices of Cucumber
    1/2 a Jalapeno (seeds removed)
    about 1 teaspoon of sugar (just enough to lightly coat the veggies)
    1 oz. Cointreau
    1/4 oz fresh lime juice
    2 oz. of an Agave Tequila (Patron)

Muddle and mash the jalapenos, cucumber and sugar
    Pour into a salted glass (salt optional)
    mix together tequila, lime juice, cointreau and ice
    Pour into salted glass and enjoy.

we've also blended all the ingredients with ice and had this as a slushie, just as good and refreshing.

Jalapenos! I make jalapeno relish, but I'll be damned if I could give you the recipe. I just chop chop chop, add some vinegar, add some salt, cilantro, lime, and whatever else I'm in the mood for. Then I enjoy it all by myself because no one else will touch it (except my Dad, but it's not hot enough for him).

That sounds awesome, Mario! Definitely going on the menu for my next summer barbecue. Hell, i don't need to wait for the barbecue, i could make that any day this summer and be happy. That drink, plus that gazpacho, sounds like heaven to me. Looking forward to making that very soon!

I love all things jalapeno. I'm not too daring, though, the buck usually stops at Habanero and those are sometimes much too hot for me, depending on how it's cooked. I usually make a stir fry and throw in a nice handful of chili peppers, or some asian hot garlic sauce. OR BOTH!

Mario, those sound AMAZING!

beka, do you eat chicken? Asian Chicken and Water Chestnut Patties are DIVINE!!! Ever since I tried the recipe out, they have been in heavy rotation in our weekly menu.

* 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    * 1 (8-ounces) can whole water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
    * 1 bunch scallions, chopped (1 cup)
    * 1 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeo chile, including seeds
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    * 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    * 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Pulse chicken in a food processor until coarsely chopped and transfer to a large bowl. Add water chestnuts, scallions, and jalapeo to processor and pulse until finely chopped, then add to chicken along with cilantro and salt. Stir together with your hands until just combined.

Form mixture into 18 (2-inch-diameter) patties on a baking sheet, then thread 3 patties through their sides onto each skewer.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then transfer 3 skewers of patties using a large metal spatula to skillet and cook until golden and just cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm, covered with foil. Add remaining teaspoon oil to skillet and cook remaining patties in same manner.

This recipe calls for skewers, but I just throw in about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and I find that the patties hold together pretty well. And yes, I leave the Jalapeno seeds in and they really flavor the dish.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz0rsJML5hB