Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gourmet & Foodie Fodder

Wow! Those sound really different, and look delicious. I love chicken, yes, water chestnuts, no. However, I don't like them in their typical manner which is usually whole and sliced in asian food. Here, I can see that they would provide just a little flavor and perhaps some crunch. Yum! Another for the list

Speaking of asian food, I'm going to have to dig out some of my tried and true recipes and put them up here.

please do! We love to wok around here. And we have all the staples: fish sauce, oyster sauce, thai milk, soy sauce.

Mario, what kind of Wok do you use? I've tried using the traditional one that you have to keep oiled, but it seems like they always get rusty no matter what I do. I recently bought a nonstick one at Ikea, but I can't let it get as hot as a regular Wok on account of the carcinogens in teflon...but without it being super-hot it doesn't cook fast like a wok should.

i'm not sure, it's my boyfriends. It looks traditional, and, yeah he is very anal about cleaning it, drying it and storing it.

I made this a couple of weeks ago for a dinner party as an hors d'oeuvre. Delicious and super easy.
    I call it fish 'n chips *haha*
    Smoked salmon on black pepper chips with crème fraiche, garnished with chives.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    I dont know if this qualifies, but I make butternut squash ravioli from this recipe I modify it with some armaretti cookies & ricotta, and goddamn, the stuff basically tastes like candy. Ravioli filling is so great because you can make it to taste.

I need to learn how to make fresh pasta.

I threw my old wok out because it rusted, and i never used it. My mom bequeathed hers to me (never used!!) and now im in love. I'll never mistreat a wok again.

That looks delicious, Stephanie! Way to get creative with the chips.

So funny that you put that butternut squash recipe up - I printed that out ages ago (the sage brown butter was what rung a bell) with the intention of making it and never did. I'm curious what you do with the cookies?

For you Londoners, I was just reading a rave review about this place in Saveur magazine.

^ My woks always ended up with a bunch of stuff gunked up on the bottom. It just turned into a black mass, because I was scared to use anything but water and a soft sponge to clean it before oiling it. Has that happened to you?

Here's one my husband did. He's the pizza king in our house.

Homemade pizza dough!
    Pizza with pesto, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, sautéed onions, garlic, mozzarella and goat cheese. So frickin' amazing.

Last edited by Stephanie; 06-25-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: forgot the spinach!

No, I just didn't know how to take care of it. A friend gave it to me, so it was used to begin with, but what happened was the inside of the bowl started getting that red rust tinge to it. Probably just from carelessness and letting it dry with water still in it. I'm only just learning about different cookwares and how they should be used/cared for. My mom gave me a cast iron frying pan that has been seasoned with years of cooking and im scared to use it yet!

From the looks of that pizza he's definitely a pro pizza maker! The crust looks good, it almost looks like sesame seed baked into it towards the bottom? I make a similar one, except I use whole wheat dough, and burrata cheese when it's available, and i grill it. One of the best things ever.

That one was half whole wheat and half white flour, it tends to taste better than straight up whole wheat (well, at least that's my opinion LOL). That's cornmeal at the bottom, I think he puts it on so that it doesn't stick as much to the pizza stone.

That burrata cheese sounds unbelievable!!!!! That pizza is making me huuuuuungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Loca View Post
    I know this recipe has been shared before, but it's so good, and summer-appropriate, that I'm going to post it again:
    Mom's Gazpacho (from epicurious)
    Ingredients
    * 1 egg
    * 2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
    * 1/2 cup chopped green or yellow pepper
    * 1 cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    * 2/3 cup olive oil
    * Juice of 1/2 lemon
    * 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    * 1/4 cup finely minced parsley
    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
    * Pepper, coarsely ground
    * 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * Salt
    * 1 46-ounce can tomato juice
    * 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    * Tabasco, to taste

Place egg in small pot of cold water, bring to boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes.

In a pot or large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, cold beef broth (optional), red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire, and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Stir.

Sprinkle garlic with a pinch of salt, and set in bowl.

When egg is finished cooking, run under cold water, remove shell, add to garlic and salt mixture, and mash together with fork.

Pour tomato juice into large pot or bowl with vegetables, and add garlic, egg, and salt mixture. Add bread crumbs and stir so that they dissolve into liquid.

Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste. Chill for at least 4 hours and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley, minced red onion, and chopped olives if desired.

Cook's Notes: · My recipe serves eight, and it's not worth the trouble to prepare this soup for one. But like homemade tomato sauce, its flavor improves with age—you can store it in the refrigerator and eat it for about a week.
    · Why mash the garlic with egg and salt? To make a garlic-infused paste that adds body and substance to the tomato broth.
    · Use kosher salt to bring out the flavors of the vegetables.
    · Try to chop the vegetables so that they're small but not minced or pulverized, and don't worry if the sizes aren't uniform. The pieces should be small enough to chew but big enough to recognize.
    · If you prefer a more elegant presentation, emulsify the chilled mixture before serving. Seasoning is a very personal matter. I tend to like my gazpacho pungent and sharp, with salt, lemon, and onion flavors lingering on the palate. If you prefer milder soup, reduce the onion, garlic, and vinegar quantities by half. If you want a spicier soup, add 2 teaspoons of minced jalepeño peppers. To make vegetarian gazpacho, substitute vegetable broth for beef broth.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz0rs6IH1XR

Her recipe calls for some type of broth (veggie or beef)-- we've omitted the broth altogether. The soup isn't as watery; instead, it forms the consistency of a good milkshake.
    OMG, I think I said this over at @ but that is my favorite gazpacho ever. I've been waiting for the chance to make it for weeks, but it (strangely) hasn't been hot enough here to do it.

Like Bailey's Irish Cream? Want a recipe for a homemade version?

8 oz whiskey
    1/2 tsp coconut flavoring
    500 ml half and half cream (or use full cream for a thicker batch)
    300 ml condensed milk
    1 tbsp chocolate syrup
    1 tbsp instant coffee crystals

Put whiskey and condensed milk in a blender and mix it. Add everything else and mix very well. One batch of it can produce just over 40 oz and it's good for 2-3 days (after that it tends to curdle quickly).

Quote Originally Posted by beKa View Post
    I love all things jalapeno. I'm not too daring, though, the buck usually stops at Habanero and those are sometimes much too hot for me, depending on how it's cooked. I usually make a stir fry and throw in a nice handful of chili peppers, or some asian hot garlic sauce. OR BOTH!
    Ooh, jalapeno relish sounds awesome. I've been meaning to try making something like that or my own hot sauce when I next have a big crop of chillies to use (I grow my own).

My favourite food thing at the moment is chorizo with some hot sauce. Yum.