Thread: Björk refuses to release on Spotify: “This streaming thing doesn’t feel right”

Exclamation Björk refuses to release on Spotify: “This streaming thing doesn’t feel right”

if you want more info about it: http://blog.evergig.com/bjrk-refuses...snt-feel-right

I personnaly think she got a point saying that!

This is from a different source. I didn't get the feeling she didn't want it on Spotify, she just didn't want it to be available before the physical album was released (it actually was on Spotify for a short time and then it got removed)

Vulnicura is not currently available on Spotify. Why not?

We’re all making it up as it goes, to be honest. I would like to say there’s some master plan going on [with the album release], but there isn’t. But a few months ago I emailed my manager and said, “Guess what? This streaming thing just does not feel right. I don’t know why, but it just seems insane.”

Why is it insane?

To work on something for two or three years and then just, Oh, here it is for free. It’s not about the money; it’s about respect, you know? Respect for the craft and the amount of work you put into it. But maybe Netflix is a good model. You go first to the cinema and after a while it will come on *Netflix. Maybe that’s the way to go with streaming. It’s first physical and then maybe you can stream it later.
    http://m.fastcompany.com/3042429/cre...it?partner=rss
    the one Björk-related thing I like about Spotify is that it has Family Tree. I never see it on ITunes

Spotify fucking sucks anyway.

I love Spotify, but I do feel guilty about all the stories I read regarding how little artists get from it.

Long-time Lurker
    If I remember right, Biophilia wasn't immediately available on Spotify, but was added a few weeks after its release. I hope she does Vulnicura the same way. Her quote about the Netflix model is encouraging.

Spotify is shit. Shit interface, fucking ads unless you pony up cash and the artists get more or less nothing from it. If you support artists, you buy their records, not stream them through a service that exists to pay them even less than the labels would have back in the day.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I find it really useful when looking up songs for audition material or when trying to research something.

I also find it useful for listening to music that I already own in another format. My current laptop doesn't even have a CD drive, so I'm not likely to dig my old CDs out of the box they've been in for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lágnætti View Post
    Spotify is shit. Shit interface, fucking ads unless you pony up cash and the artists get more or less nothing from it. If you support artists, you buy their records, not stream them through a service that exists to pay them even less than the labels would have back in the day.
    Yep. I saw an interview with Aloe Blacc on Real Time a few weeks ago and was really surprised to hear how little money artists make from a streaming service like Spotify or Pandora. Apparently 1 million plays on a streaming service earns a songwriter about $90. Here is a quote from an article he wrote for Wired:

Consider the fact that it takes roughly one million spins on Pandora for a songwriter to earn just $90. Avicii’s release “Wake Me Up!” that I co-wrote and sing, for example, was the most streamed song in Spotify history and the 13th most played song on Pandora since its release in 2013, with more than 168 million streams in the US. And yet, that yielded only $12,359 in Pandora domestic royalties— which were then split among three songwriters and our publishers. In return for co-writing a major hit song, I’ve earned less than $4,000 domestically from the largest digital music service.
    Everyone is trying to force streaming now. Apple discontinued their iPod Classic and they are poised to introduce a paid streaming service after buying out Beats Music. The idea is that they don't want you to own anything anymore, because once you've bought an album (or book, or movie) you're likely never to buy it again. But if they push streaming on you, they have a steady, monthly revenue from you until the end of time. No thanks. I'd like to continue buying albums, books, and movies.

Gaga had what - 20 million plays on Spotify at one point. Her financial reward was $400. That was all I ever needed to know about how artists are screwed by streaming, despite the propaganda.

I know one musician who regularly posts his 'income' from Spotify. Receipts for say, 0.04€ are average. That's from a band that headlines smaller metal festivals throughout Europe and now plays reasonably high up the line-up for the largest, btw. Very intense fanbase. Spotify is a joke, and it's entirely on the artists. I cringe when I see people say they don't buy anything - mp3 or CD/vinyl anymore, they just stream stuff on Spotify. It's pretty much the worst thing you can do commercially for an artist you like.

Hard copies here. Nobody can cut off your access to them.

Streaming sounds like just another way to get rich off the consumer and fuck over the artist.