Thread: Kernel Data Inpage Error

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar

Kernel Data Inpage Error

What the hell? My Sony Vaio (bought in early 2013) has Windows 8.1 and all of its updates, and it goes through phases where it will bluescreen multiple times a day, always citing "kernel_data_inpage_error." It's really random and fucking annoying, especially since this computer is not that old.

What does this even mean? What other info do the smarties in here need to help me figure it out?

testosterone-laden drunken moogle Spikey's Avatar
    Oh lord I hate those BSODs. Never heard of your particular error, but from what I gathered it can mean a lot of things (not very helpful, I know). It is definitely related to memory management and data transmission; more specifically to reading and storing stuff in something called "secondary storage" (for use in the main memory), the part your core processors don't have direct access to. This storing/retrieving is a process called "paging", because the data is stored/retrieved in equal sized "blocks" called pages. For some reason, a part of such a block/page is unreadable, hence the error you get says something like inpage.

It could have numerous of causes, from what I understand, and you can try and retrieve more specific information. You most likely have a folder in your main Windows folder called "minidump". This is the folder in which Windows writes infoes about every blue screen of death, they come in .dmp format. Annoyingly, this is something you cannot open or read without tooling.

This Microsoft site;
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win...dware/hh852365
    offers a tool called WinDbg. Download it, install, then click on 'File' and then "Open Crash Dump Log". Browse to the minidump folder and select a dump file to open.

There is two things that you can do from here to quickly get more infoes on your problem;
    1. Scroll to the bottom of the file, and it should say;
    Probably caused by; and then a filename.

The name of this file often doesn't mean anything to you, but could bring you closer to the solution as to what causes this, especially if you can find out which program that file belongs to. It could be as simple as just uninstalling the program related to the file!!

2.Also, the interwebs says that in your specific case you should look under Parameter 2; as that is where you'll find the Bug Check Code belonging to the problem. You can then Google that specific code and bring you yet one step closer to the solution.
    Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Thank you so much!

testosterone-laden drunken moogle Spikey's Avatar
    Did you get some information? Feel free to PM me if you have troubles still.
    Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎