Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Rebel Heart World Tour 2015

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    At risk of offending, doesn't it seem like ... Madonna has a rather obtuse personality?

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    At risk of offending, doesn't it seem like ... Madonna has a rather obtuse personality?
    What do you mean? I think she's pretty direct and literal. Watch her Billboard speech about women in the music business. It's not as though she speaks in esoteric language that's hard to understand.

She's definitely direct and literal. I mean to say she's insensitive and a bit of a tool. I had the thought after watching that video, where she makes her dancers do push ups, criticizes them and calls them out in front of their peers. All I could think was: what terrible managerial skills.

She's definitely direct and literal. I mean to say she's insensitive and a bit of a tool. I had the thought after watching that video, where she makes her dancers do push ups, criticizes them and calls them out in front of their peers. All I could think was: what terrible managerial skills.
    I can see that. Chelsea Handler is also notorious for doing that. I know they both are trying to be cute but probably to the outside it comes off as asshole-ish. People in Hollywood are crazy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Madge can be abrasive, but ultimately it sounds like she treats her crew well.

I don't see it that way. She's teasing them. I don't find it insensitive or her being a tool. She's not really criticizing them. She's having fun with them.
    I think a lot of misunderstanding of her is that some people don't get her ironic tongue in cheek humor.
    It's meant to be funny for the viewers.
    They are laughing about it too.
    It's not meant to be taken seriously the way you are taking it.
    Maybe her ironic tongue in cheek bitchy humor isn't your thing. I think you either get her humor or you don't.
    It never occurred to me watching that video that she was actually being mean or attacking them. I guess I get her sense of humor. But I guess it's not for everyone.

She's the boss, though. That's the problem. If your boss joked with you liked that, for example if your boss was spanking you in front of your coworkers, you might not find it funny, but because you have no power in that situation and your boss has all the power, you may feel pressure to laugh along with it.

And when she's calling that guy out for him not holding her with enough strength and confidence, that is undoubtedly feedback that needs to be passed along. But in front of everyone? In front of us in the documentary? This is his career. That's not cool.

Also, not to be pedantic, but none of the humor I am picking at here is ironic. Tongue in cheek yes; ironic no; funny... not really. Certainly not hilarious. Not to me anyway.

Chelsea Handler is an apt comparison. It makes me a little uncomfortable when she does stuff like that too. And I love CH.

I think you are applying the rules of a professional office to being on tour with a band. It's a different atmosphere.

And you have to take into consideration, what you see there are small clips of all the time she is around them. I doubt she acts towards them like that all the time. They chose those clips because they thought it would be funny for the viewer.

I've been around bands and musical artists and they all joke around with each other like that. I think you are taking what's meant to be a funny video way too seriously.

Fair enough. I think that's a legitimate point. I still don't think it's funny, though