Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bjork Exhibit at MOMA

Bjork Exhibit at MOMA

It seems to be getting a lot of criticism from art critics/museum-types, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    It is getting trashed . I hear it is a nightmare to navigate. I'll probably try going during a weekday then.

That's absolutely ridiculous. How is Vulnicura about revenge? Why would Barney need to be acknowledged? I did read a few reviews of the exhibit (general consensus is that it sucks) and one did say that Bjork having the exhibit at MoMA was a way to get revenge at Barney because he had an exhibit at the San Francisco MoMA. I was like WTF? Another thought the show was sexist because no male musician would've been given such a half assed exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    It is getting trashed . I hear it is a nightmare to navigate. I'll probably try going during a weekday then.
    I know me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beulah Land View Post
    Why would Barney need to be acknowledged?
    Didn't she collaborate with him on an audiovisual project? Seems completely normal to speculate on his absence from a retrospective like this.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Her dad was an electrician, so we must credit him for Bjork's techno beats.

I have never heard such shit. I couldn't even make that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ime Achoo Dooa View Post
    Didn't she collaborate with him on an audiovisual project? Seems completely normal to speculate on his absence from a retrospective like this.
    But apparently there's no mention of any of her major collaborators like Michel Gondry or Alexander McQueen. Barney should be the last person anyone should be concerned about being excluded.

Relevant Björk interview snippet from Pitchfork:

Pitchfork: When it was originally misreported that Vulnicura was produced by Arca, instead of co-produced by you and Arca, it reminded me of the Joni Mitchell quote from the height of her fame about how whichever man was in the room with her got credit for her genius.

Björk: Yeah, I didn’t want to talk about that kind of thing for 10 years, but then I thought, “You’re a coward if you don’t stand up. Not for you, but for women. Say something.” So around 2006, I put something on my website where I cleared something up, because it’d been online so many times that it was becoming a fact. It wasn’t just one journalist getting it wrong, everybody was getting it wrong. I’ve done music for, what, 30 years? I’ve been in the studio since I was 11; Alejandro had never done an album when I worked with him. He wanted to put something on his own Twitter, just to say it’s co-produced. I said, “No, we’re never going to win this battle. Let’s just leave it.” But he insisted. I’ve sometimes thought about releasing a map of all my albums and just making it clear who did what. But it always comes across as so defensive that, like, it’s pathetic. I could obviously talk about this for a long time.

I feel like this was a pretty good article about all the MoMA drama: http://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/...thumptwitterus

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar

Is this the first time she does Come to Me since, the early 90s?

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I thought she did it on the Volta tour??? Maybe not. But it's definitely on Homogenic Live. So... Late 90s. :P

^ She did it on the Volta tour, you're right.

On Saturday I went to see the Bjork exhibit at MoMA. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from all the reviews I read. As a huge Bjork fan, it was really awesome to see her handwritten lyrics and some props and costumes from the different albums. However, I’ve got to say the bad reviews weren’t too off the mark. The song lines exhibit had so much potential. The iPods that they handed out to listen to the narration were not working right. Each Bjork album had its own room. The iPod is supposed to change according to what room your in. Everyone around me could be seen messing with their iPods in confusion. The voice over narrative that accompanied the exhibit was worthy of several eye rolls. The most frustrating thing about it is that each room had about a 5-10 minute voice over narrative to accompany it and not enough physical material in the rooms to hold your attention. Each room had 4 lyric sheets or so and one or two costume elements. Very disapointing. I guess it doesn’t help matters because I kept comparing the exhibit to the amazing David Bowie Is exhibit I saw at the V&A. THAT is how you present a musical icon. The stale presentation of such an innovative artist like Bjork was so confusing.

I also saw the Black Lake video. While visually it was pretty well done, I was let down by the 3-D sound design. Again, based on the descriptions I read I was expecting something more.

To be honest the most enjoyable part of the exhibit was the screening room showing her entire music video collection on loop. I managed to catch All Is Full of Love and the video still looks so fresh and bold.

The consensus among myself and my two friends who are also huge fans of Bjork was that it was still interesting to see what was there, but the execution was severely lacking.