Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bjork Exhibit at MOMA

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar

Is this the first time she does Come to Me since, the early 90s?

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I thought she did it on the Volta tour??? Maybe not. But it's definitely on Homogenic Live. So... Late 90s. :P

^ She did it on the Volta tour, you're right.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    On Saturday I went to see the Bjork exhibit at MoMA. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from all the reviews I read. As a huge Bjork fan, it was really awesome to see her handwritten lyrics and some props and costumes from the different albums. However, I’ve got to say the bad reviews weren’t too off the mark. The song lines exhibit had so much potential. The iPods that they handed out to listen to the narration were not working right. Each Bjork album had its own room. The iPod is supposed to change according to what room your in. Everyone around me could be seen messing with their iPods in confusion. The voice over narrative that accompanied the exhibit was worthy of several eye rolls. The most frustrating thing about it is that each room had about a 5-10 minute voice over narrative to accompany it and not enough physical material in the rooms to hold your attention. Each room had 4 lyric sheets or so and one or two costume elements. Very disapointing. I guess it doesn’t help matters because I kept comparing the exhibit to the amazing David Bowie Is exhibit I saw at the V&A. THAT is how you present a musical icon. The stale presentation of such an innovative artist like Bjork was so confusing.

I also saw the Black Lake video. While visually it was pretty well done, I was let down by the 3-D sound design. Again, based on the descriptions I read I was expecting something more.

To be honest the most enjoyable part of the exhibit was the screening room showing her entire music video collection on loop. I managed to catch All Is Full of Love and the video still looks so fresh and bold.

The consensus among myself and my two friends who are also huge fans of Bjork was that it was still interesting to see what was there, but the execution was severely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Clearly, they did not have their penis inside Bjorks vagina, thus injecting her with their Genius Sperm That Made Her Do Music Good. Matthew Barney made sex and babies with Bjork so she got all that creativity and art stuff!
    i'm dying

Too bad about the exhibit. Bjork really deserves a far better representation then they gave (so it seems). There's no excuse for the poor execution. This is MOMA. No excuse at all.

The reviews have been so bad that I've not even planned a journey to NYC to go see it.

I was lucky enough to see the exhibition at MoMA a few weeks ago - and really enjoyed it! But I have to add that I've been a fan since 1993, so I basically recognized every dress, every photo, every video attribute and every lyric in her books. I guess for people who are not too familiar with her work, the exhibition is one big 'WTF?' moment.

I personally expected a bit more of the 'Black Lake' video (although it is really beautiful footage), but hearing the song in the best possible audio was and incredible experience. I wish I could hear the entire 'Vulnicura' record like that!

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I went to the Bjork Digital exhibition at Somerset House on Wednesday. It was bizarre. The opening section was excellent; Black Lake was playing on two parallel screens with the most incredible surround sound. It was striking and disarming, and the song sounded absolutely beautiful through the circle of speakers, particularly the bass line. Her performance is that video is so raw, it was almost uncomfortable to watch it in a room full of strangers. But then my group were ushered through to a series of virtual reality 'experiences', basically four rooms of stools each with a VR set plopped on top. This format felt awkward and jarring. The videos played automatically as soon as you put the headset on, and then played straight through to the end. The entire group would have to wait for everyone else to finish before being moved onto the next room, and clearly no-one wanted to be the last person still sat looking like a prat in their headset, so there was always a scramble for everyone to get going with their video as soon as possible. One poor woman was still watching her video about 3 minutes longer than everyone else, with the entire room stood around watching her, completely unaware. The videos themselves were fairly interesting, Stonemilker works best in that format, but I didn't think there was any particular reason for Mouth Mantra to be made into a virtual reality video. Quicksand was actually really brilliant, I felt like I was floating in space, and the sections in which Bjork dissolves and reforms somewhere else are great fun in-the-round, as you have to move your head to look for her (like in the Stonemilker video). My headset during the Notget section didn't work until about halfway through, when I could finally get someone to come and adjust it. It wasn't really worth it, and is probably my least favourite of the four VR videos (I know it's really tricky technology, but I can't help but think it sometimes looks really cheap). After the virtual reality section (which sounds more exciting than it was), we were free to roam around the 'Bjork Cinema', in other words a room with a screen at the end playing all of Bjork's videos on a loop. It was fun to watch them on a larger screen, but ultimately I can find all of them on YouTube if I want, and the sound wasn't particularly impressive, at least not compared to the Black Lake set-up. After that was the Biophilia section, which contained a few of the instruments used on that tour, plus a whole row of iPhones displaying the Biophila app, for people to play around with. I had the app on my phone for years, so that wasn't particularly inspiring. Then there was the obligatory gift shop, then the exit.

It was a shame the rest of the exhibition didn't live up to promise of the opening. As impressive as virtual reality goggles are, they are not really as 'immersive' when you're worried about what you're doing with your hands, whether you're going to swing on your stool and knock someone over, and whether the painful glasses are going to leave a mark on your face. Plus, the graphics are really not quite there yet. The only part I found immersive was the Black Lake video; although it was not as literally in-your-face, the quality of the recording and the sound, and the artistry of the way the two versions of the video played against each other, was more overwhelming than the VR pieces. I'm really happy she is trying things like this out though, and I'm always so excited by what she'll do next. A more fluid construction of the proceedings would have improved this exhibition, though.