Page 1 of 409 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Presidential Commiseration Support Thread

Cool The 2016 Presidential Commiseration Support Thread

Ted Cruz Announces He's Running For President In 2016

Cruz made a formal announcement Monday at Liberty University in Virginia. His announcement -- which came on the five-year anniversary of Obamacare -- was made at the largest Christian university in the world, and featured quite a bit of religious rhetoric.

"What is the promise of America?" Cruz said. "The idea that -- the revolutionary idea that this country was founded upon, which is that our rights don’t come from man. They come from God Almighty."

Cruz is the first high profile candidate to officially declare that he is running for president and will forego an exploratory committee.

Cruz, a favorite among conservatives and a frequent agitator of the GOP leadership in Congress, had been expected to declare his presidential bid for more than a year. He scoped out office space for a campaign headquarters in Houston, Texas, and terminated his Canadian citizenship in preparation.

The first-term senator has made multiple trips to the early presidential primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire and traveled across the country to campaign for conservative candidates in the midterm elections. Someone also created a super PAC, the Stand for Principles PAC, with the goal of helping Cruz win the nomination.

Democrats have wasted no time in attacking Cruz. After reports emerged on Sunday that Cruz would announce, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D-Calif.) said that the Texas senator was "absolutely unfit" to run for office because of his denial of climate change.

Cruz is known for his leadership in the effort to shut down the government in 2013, as Republicans attempted to defund the Affordable Care Act. The former champion college debater made a symbolic 21-hour speech against the law on the Senate floor.

The senator has worked to cultivate a hawkish profile on national security and foreign policy issues, both to appeal to top Republican donors and to provide a contrast with one of his primary rivals, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). He has also curried the favor of social conservatives by highlighting his opposition to marriage equality and abortion, and attempted to elevate his own candidacy by arguing that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would win the general election in 2016 if his party nominated a more moderate candidate in the vein of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) or former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

HuffPost Pollster has Cruz in the middle of the pack of those seeking the Republican presidential nomination.

Cruz previously served as Texas' solicitor general and with the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice. He also was a policy adviser for former President George W. Bush's campaign in 2000. When he was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2012, he became Texas' first Cuban-American or Latino senator.

I'm not ready. Cruz is already alluding to abortion and gay marriage in his speech so I guess we'll be screaming about the same social issues as always.

The ugly racism that reared its head during and after 2008 because we elected a black president tells me that sexism and misogyny is about to reach an unbearable high if/when Hillary announces her run.

You have no idea. I'm on the verge of moving on from commenting on politics online, because the comment threads have been overrun by ultra-right people who are racist and sexist and homophobic AND PROUD OF IT. I'm not much of a Hillary fan, but the shit they say about her is fucking repulsive.

As for Ted Cruz: yeah, I'm voting for a Dominionist shitstain who thinks I'm going to be tortured for eternity because my spirituality differs from his, and he's totally down with that. Riiiiiiight.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I thought he was born in Canada... so wouldn't that make him automatically ineligible? Especially by the frothing-birther-kenyan people?

The Constitution does not define what "natural-born" means, but it's been talked about since 2008 and this is the consensus:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...run-president/

So because his mother was a US citizen then yes, he is considered a natural-born citizen. The same would have happened for Obama had he not been born in Hawaii, although we never would have heard the end of it because he was black and had a scary Muslim name. No one batted an eye at McCain who was born in the Panama Canal Zone.

It would be amazing if the birthers went after Cruz, though. A taste of his own medicine would be a bitter pill to swallow, I'm sure.

Huh. Well. Ok then. Not that it matters to me exactly, but I will have fun with. Maybe I will make sure to call him Rafael and really roll my Rs when I say that or Crrrrrrrrrruz. Nothing says trying to pass like making people call you phonetically "Ted Cruise" instead of "Rrrrrrrrrrrafael Crrrrrrrruz".

I'm. Not. Ready.

*hides under covers*
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I think the move was kind of 'Gangsta' on his dumbarse part. He's a laughing stock in his own party. He is in a three-way tie for last in the polls. He just wanted to be the first because this is as good as it's ever going to get for him. He knew that. He gets a whole cycle of headlines. Soak up the sun, Mr. Cruz.

I mean, the people in the auditorium were required to be there and many of them were mad about it (in their Rand Paul t-shirts). But.. he was licking his chops. lol. Makes a better looking picture for the morning papers, donnit?
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

The Hillary Hate is too much. It's not just those people over there saying it, though. From my end, everyone is going on about Elizabeth Warren. "She's so much better." It's like the common folk want a female candidate but they want it to be anyone but Hillary. If I were Hillary, I'd jump in last minute.. let the natural feeding frenzy eat away at the newer faces and hope like hell it all backfires. Because being a favorite this early is the kiss of death. People want to go against what they feel is being shoved down their throats. Don't give them the pleasure. Jump in all last minute, test the waters and if it's still bad then...

Again, just my observation from the heartland.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-24-2015 at 03:31 AM.

Elizabeth doesn't want to run. The lefties need to leave her the fuck alone.

Barack Hussein Obama

People are gaga over Hilary and Warren because there isn't really anyone palatable this early, no up and comers. Bill and Barack had that, that nationwide recognition and good press and high favorables.

If the Dems nominated Biden I think I will vomit. They need to stop nominating "it's his turn" candidates like Kerry and Gore who JUST DON'T WIN.

This is going to be a really important election. With Republicans in control of both houses of Congress, and the Republican base adamant in the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, a Republican president would be a total disaster for the country. The history of one party winning three elections in a row has not been great recently but it is clearly more than possible right now; Democrats came very close in 2000 and I do think that they have a natural - if slight - advantage due to demographics. But depending who the GOP nominate, I think it could be close.

Hillary is not a perfect candidate but she is almost certainly going to be the candidate. The left just needs to get over it because that's the reality, and while I have some problems with her too, at least she's sane. Shame that's what elections in America have come down to these days - a vote for simple sanity, or a vote for batshit crazy - but that's what the parties more or less represent now, so here we are.

I personally have a hunch that Jeb Bush (one of the slightly saner Republicans running, but c'mon, a third Bush - and after that last one?) won't do as well as expected in the GOP primaries. Keep an eye on Scott Walker and Marco Rubio - both dangerous, and both more likely to be the nominee IMO. Of the three, I suppose I hope Walker or Bush wins because I think they might be more likely to lose to Hillary.
    Last edited by Puddles; 03-24-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Here's why I'm not that worried about the presidential election.

The Blue Wall

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
    Hillary is not a perfect candidate but she is almost certainly going to be the candidate. The left just needs to get over it because that's the reality, and while I have some problems with her too, at least she's sane. Shame that's what elections in America have come down to these days - a vote for simple sanity, or a vote for batshit crazy - but that's what the parties more or less represent now, so here we are.
    Yes to all of this! It's a sad state of affairs.

I believe Hillary (and Bill) would get this country back on track. I believe that. Her work in the senate as as secretary of state speaks for itself. It just feels like people are over her. And it sucks.