Page 3 of 409 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Presidential Commiseration Support Thread

Oh.

The former secretary of state is scheduled to declare her second run for president on Twitter at noon eastern time on Sunday, the source told the Guardian, followed by a video and email announcement, then a series of conference calls mapping out a blitzkrieg tour beginning in Iowa and looking ahead to more early primary states.
    No actual speech? That's....new.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I know we've talked about Elizabeth Warren in other threads but I figured I'd put this here. I love when she's on Real Time. This is from Friday's show.

Also, the GOP wasted no time in launching it's #StopHillary campaign. The 30 second video is full of ominous one-liners from the personal email "scandal," Benghazi, etc. So basically, everything you'd expect.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Didn't we just have a fucking election? Ugh. Someone wake me in 2017.

Yep. It never goes away. Ted Cruz's PAC raised $30 million in less than a week after his announcement. Imagine all the attack ads that can buy.

Hillary's announcement is here. The red arrow in her new logo reminds me of FedEx, for some reason.

Buckle up, everyone. She's hired openly gay Robby Mook as her campaign manager.

Mook is widely known as Robby, not Robert, and at 35, he's still boyish—handsome and clean-shaven with close-cropped brown hair. His usual uniform consists of chinos and bland dress shirts rolled up to the elbows. He couldn't be more different from, say, James Carville, the loudmouth Ragin' Cajun who advised Bill Clinton's first presidential bid and now makes a living as a consultant and TV commentator. Mook rarely appears in news stories or on TV. He did not respond to repeated interview requests. He has no Facebook page. He has a Twitter account but never tweets and has forgotten the password...

...Mook's friends and colleagues struggle to identify any particular policy issue that drives him. Mark Penn-style theories about key demographic groups (remember Soccer Moms?) don't inspire him either. He's a political nerd who lives and dies by data and nuts-and-bolts organizing.
    The heads of all the religious right when they find out a disgusting, sinful gay is in charge:

Scanners Guy never gets old.

The announcement video is decent. Nice to see Teh Ghey in there, too. I'm sure the righties are thrilled, too. Time for murdered Vince Foster/rapist Bill/BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI freak flags to fly!

Barack Hussein Obama

I really hope Hillary doesn't choose Martin O'Malley as her running mate. He wants to be seen as a progressive, but in Maryland, under his watch, by the time a progressive bill was passed, it was totally watered down. For example, he takes credit for a minimum wage hike, but it will not peg the minimum wage to the inflation index and it doesn't cover tipped workers, so it's hardly a hike at all. It's a Hike in Name Only.

And he pals around with Scientologists like Greta Van Susteren's husband John P. Coale:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...4c7_story.html

A retired, once-flamboyant trial lawyer who made millions off the tobacco wars of the 1990s, Coale is using his private jet to ferry O’Malley around early nominating states as the still largely unknown Democrat weighs a long-shot presidential bid.

In return, Coale, a self-described political junkie, gets a ringside seat.

Coale likes to help his friends. He has an eclectic set of them, both inside politics and out, some of whom he met through his wife, Fox News host Greta Van Susteren.

Since the mid-1990s, according to campaign finance records, Coale has donated more than $750,000 to political candidates and committees, most of them Democratic. But he has also palled around with Republican Sarah Palin. He attended Kim Kardashian’s wedding and represented Lisa Marie Presley in her divorce from Michael Jackson, back when Presley was affiliated with the Church of Scientology, where Coale and Van Susteren have been prominent members for years.

Coale supported his friend John McCain, a Republican, in the 2008 presidential election. But during the primaries, he was a major booster of Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom he also considers a friend.

Coale was close enough to the Clintons that he spent at least part of the day of the crucial 2008 New Hampshire primary with them in their hotel suite.
    p.s re: Hillary and Bill: I would like to vote for someone who is Scientology-free. It bothered me when I read the exposé Going Clear that Bill Clinton had a Scientologist roommate in college that he really liked, therefore has been willing to play nice with these freaking nutjob criminals. I will vote for Hillary but I sure would prefer it if she distanced herself from as many loonies as she can.

^Wow. I didn't know any of that. And I'm really, really not comfortable with it.

The good news is that I don't see her picking O'Malley as a running mate. I really think it's gonna be someone like Julian Castro. Young, with appeal to the Hispanic community. Same reason that my early call has Jeb picking Susanna Martinez.

Barack Hussein Obama

That makes sense. I hope you're right, Steve.

Yay! 19 months of this!

Some interesting analysis from Jonathan Chait: How 'Negative Partisanship' Has Transformed American Politics

He also wrote an earlier piece that touches on some of the same ideas: Why Hillary Clinton Is Probably Going to Win the 2016 Election

Chait's take - which sounds very plausible to me, though of course this election will be an important test of it - is at odds with that of Nate Silver. Silver recently called the election essentially a toss-up, writing that the Emerging Democratic Majority thesis "relies on a selective reading of the evidence — emphasizing 2012, 2008 and 2006 but ignoring 2014, 2010, and 2004." He goes on to say that "predictions made on the premise of 'emerging' majorities have a miserable track record: Republicans were bragging about their 'permanent' majority in 2004, for instance, only to get their butts kicked in 2006 and 2008."

I know that Silver has an excellent track record when he's dissecting polls, but I'm a little unimpressed by his analysis here. My understanding of the Emerging Democratic Majority thesis is that it applies to presidential elections only, because younger and poorer voters don't tend to show up at the polls during midterms. That means that 2014 and 2010 are irrelevant to the argument. Due to the preponderance of older white voters in these elections, as well as Republican redistricting, the GOP has a distinct advantage during midterms, but this does not contradict the idea that the Democrats have an edge on winning the White House. As for 2004, that's over a decade ago and even then Bush squeaked by. He edged John Kerry, hardly a strong candidate, by only 2.4% nationally. It's worth bearing in mind that this is also the only election the GOP has won the national popular vote since 1988. Moreover, saying that Karl Rove was wrong in 2004 doesn't seem to me to be a particularly strong rebuttal of Democrats' current argument.

Anyway, Silver's piece is here: Clinton Begins the 2016 Campaign, and It's a Toss-up

Chait's ideas make sense to me, too. Thanks for linking. One thing is for goddamned sure: politics are more hate-filled than ever before. Easily.

Barack Hussein Obama

I wanted to learn more about Hillary's political accomplishments and came across this and thought I would share some:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04...esnt-have-any/

I made the mistake of scrolling to the comments. I do it every time. I need to find a way to have my browser block those.