Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chords to PJ songs

Depth is the greatest of heights whenthepawn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Thank you both so much for going through the trouble of posting all of these.
    You're welcome, Jake!

I'm midway through an 8 week guitar class, and I'll be doing another 8 weeks after it's done.
    That's cool. I wish I could've taken lessons. I signed up for some one summer at the local music shop when I was a teenager, but the owner never called back. So, that was that...lol.

I don't know many chords, but there are definitely a few songs in PJ's discography that I can try and learn to play!
    I would say her easiest song, out of all the ones I've posted so far, is probably You Come Through—which is only two chords. Maybe you could start there!

BTW, I will be posting a few new ones soon.

I'd think The Glorious Land wouldn't be that difficult to play.

So, here are a few more:

Oh My Lover
    Verse: Dm / A / G / Dm (repeat)
    Chorus: "It's (A#) alright. It's (Dm) alright. There's no (A#) time, so it's (Dm) alright." (hold the Dm for 5 seconds [or beats]), to Interlude
    Interlude: Same as Verse
    Chorus 2: "Why don't you just say my (A#) name and it's (Dm) alright. Say it's (A#) alright. There's no (Dm) time (hold the Dm for 10 seconds [or beats]), to Outro
    Outro: A# / Dm (repeat) [You should end on A#].

Notes: The rhythm of this song is kind of tricky, but if you listen carefully, you'll be able to pick up where the chord changes occur. Edit: For those of you who may not be good at switching from regular chords to barred ones (which A# or Bb usually end up being), you can use this (110xxx) formation instead. I usually uses my middle and ring finger, but you can get away with using your index and middle fingers, too.

Reeling (4-Track Demos Version)
    Verse: F / C / A#
    Pre-Chorus: G# / A# ("I can't sleep for thinkin,' send my head reeling," "Even Aphrodite, she got nothin' on me"), back to Verse
    Chorus: F / C / A# ("Take me to the moon!") | G# / A# ("Fly me to the moon!"), back to Verse.

Notes: This can be difficult to play because of how quickly the chords are repeated. As for the Chorus, the lyrics that are quoted are only meant to give you a reference of when to play what chords, but may not be entirely accurate. For example, at least once during the first chorus, she plays the G# / A# combination while singing "Take me to the moon!" However, the chord changes are easy to spot, so it's one of those cases where you'll have to listen to know exactly what to play and when. It's a good speed-builder, too. I still can't keep up with her!

Civil War Correspondent (Album Version)

Intro + Verse: A / C (repeat)

Note: There are two or 3 chord changes near the end of the song, but since they're kind of buried in the mix, they're really not that audible. So, I left them out (although she usually spotlights them on her guitar when playing this song live).

Update: Here is the guitar part (in TAB format) for the small vocal melody heard after, "No joy, no tears":
    E|--------------------
    B|--------------------
    G|--------------------
    D|--------------------
    A|--4--0--0--2--3--2-
    E|--------------------

For those that can't read tab, the individual notes are: C# / A / A / B / C / B.

I'm not too great at piano or keyboard, so I was surprised that I was able to figure it out earlier this morning (after lots of playing). However, it may not be completely accurate, but: It's a start, which is what this thread is about. To make it easier to understand, I've included the lyrics. The chord changes follow the syllable patterns within the lyrics, which makes it easy to play.

Nina in Ecstasy
    I'm Nina (E (low) / G / A)
    I feel love (A / B / C)
    I'll be safe (C / E (high) / A / G / F)
    I'll be yours (E (low) / G / A)
    Ever more (A / B / C)
    I'll be safe (C / E (high) / A / G)

Mama (C C / B / A / G)

Once Nina (E (low) / G / A)
    Was a young girl (A / B / C)
    Now she's dead (C / E (high) / A / G / F)
    Grew older (E (low) / G / A
    Grew cold and (A / B / C)
    Lost her way (C / E (high) / A / G)

Mama (C C / B / A / G)

Where's your mama gone? (E / G / D / E / C)
    Where's your mama gone? (E / G / A / GG)
    Where's Your mama gone? (E / G / A / GG)
    Where's your mama gone? (E / G / A / GG)
    Far, far away (F / E / D)
    Far, far away (F / E / DD / C)

Note: I figured this out while playing around the 3rd octave on my keyboard and kept going higher. You really need a high E when you play the C / E (high) / A / G / F progression, but I suppose you can play it anywhere you want.

The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore
    Intro: A / G (8x)
    Verse: A / G (4x) | F / C / A / G (2x)
    Pre-Verse: A / G (4x) - Play this at the end of the first verse and BETWEEN each subsequent verse
    Chorus: F / C / A / G (4x), back to Pre-Verse ("The whores hustle and the hustlers whore. Too many people are out of love," etc.)
    Interlude: F / C / A / G (2x) | A / G (4x)
    Outro: F / C / A / G (4x) | A / G (3x) | A

Note: I like to play this with an Asus2 chord (x02200) in place of the A, but: You can also use an Am in place of the A, too.

Of course, if anyone can spot any errors—especially with Nina in Ecstasy since it's so new—please let me know!
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 06-01-2015 at 10:52 PM.

So, the last part of my update has to do with Wikipedia. I thought it best to treat this section as its own entity. It just felt so separate. I hope no one minds.

I just happened to browse PJ's discography on a whim today, and I was surprised to find some info/chords for a few of her songs—some of which have already been posted by me or Spikey—so I thought I would include them here. Hopefully, the people who edit there will add more. Every little bit helps!

From Wikipedia
    Sheela-na-gig:
    Musically, the song was composed in standard tuning. A capo is present on the first fret of Harvey's guitar in all versions of the song. The opening consists of four notes alternately played. The verse and the chorus feature the same two chords (E5-G5) throughout, simplifying the structure. The change in structure is during the bridge ("put money in your idle hole") when the chords change (A5-F#5-A5-B5).
    Good Fortune:
    It is set in common time (4/4) and composed in the key of A minor. The verse follows a repetitive pattern of two chords (Am7–G6) and the final refrains of each verse repeat two chords (C–F5). The chorus has a rising bass progression composed of four chords (Am7–G6/B–C–D) and the song ends on G5.
    When Under Ether:
    It is set in common time (4/4) and composed in the key of F minor.
    The Glorious Land:
    The guitar uses a capo on the eighth fret. It features a standard chord progression throughout the course of the song (Em-Bm-G/C-Am-D). Similarly, the bridge uses the first two chords. The song's final refrain alternates the basic chord progression (Em-A-Bm) and finishes on an Em.
    The Words That Maketh Murder:
    Harvey's main instrument on "The Words That Maketh Murder" is an autoharp. Its main underlying minor chord (Em) is prominent throughout the song, while the chord progression in the verses consists of a further three chords (A-G-F#/D) reverting to the minor chord. The chorus uses a contrasting major chord (G) as well as a flat chord (Bb) and another minor chord (Dm) and, like the song's final refrain, finishes on a standard chord (C).
    Play on, friends!

whenthepawn
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 05-31-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar

Civil War Correspondent (Album Version)

Intro + Verse: A / C (repeat)

Note: There are two or 3 chord changes near the end of the song, but since they're kind of buried in the mix, they're really not that audible. So, I left them out (although she usually spotlights them on her guitar when playing this song live).
    Haven't listened to the album version for ages, as I think one of the live versions is superior. I have noted some things down in the past for it, but I can't check m now;
    I think that one actually goes;
    Am - C on endless repeat, except for the end, after the second "please (C) send me light of (Am) day!" C-G-G-F#m-C-G-G-F#m and from here it is something similar, but there is some play with all chords used up until here. Then it goes back to Am-C pattern with "I can feel his heart wired", but with the second "gunfire" the pattern changes to Am-G until the end.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    after the second "please (C) send me light of (Am) day!" C-G-G-F#m-C-G-G-F#m and from here it is something similar, but there is some play with all chords used up until here.
    Just listened to the Black Sessions version really quick.

During that part, I heard: E / F# / G—at least on the slide guitar.

the pattern changes to Am-G until the end.
    I hear this now, too, although—to my untrained ears—I don't hear that much of a difference between the two chords. That's probably because I add a G note to my C chord, which is sometimes called a Full C (332010).

Some of the chord formations she uses to play the main part don't look standard to me, either, which makes me wonder if she uses an open or alternate tuning to play this song(?)

Also, here is the little guitar part for the vocal melody (in TAB format) that's heard after she sings, "No joy, no tears." I've gone ahead and added this into the previous post: ()

E|--------------------
    B|--------------------
    G|--------------------
    D|--------------------
    A|--4--0--0--2--3--2-
    E|--------------------

For those that don't know how to read TAB, the individual notes are: C# / A / A / B / C / B.
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 06-01-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whenthepawn View Post
    Just listened to the Black Sessions version really quick.
    I hear this now, too, although—to my untrained ears—I don't hear that much of a difference between the two chords. That's probably because I add a G note to my C chord, which is sometimes called a Full C (332010).
    Detail; Am and C are a relative chord pair, meaning that a C major has the notes C-E-G, and Aminor A-C-E. That is just very similar.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    That is just very similar.
    Yep. The thing that impresses me about her music is how she can take the simplest progressions, like the one she uses in Civil War Correspondent, and add layers on top of it to make it seem/sound more complex.

Victory uses practically the same chords, but it's a completely different song. Only a real artist can do that. I love her
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 06-02-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Here's one more. I decided to try and figure this out last night before going to bed and I was surprised I did, because I've tried to figure it out several times over the years.

Tuning: ?
    Verse: D / G / A#
    Chorus 1: D# / D (2x) ("Thirty miles, the world unfolds") | C / A# (2x) ("Thirty miles, a pot of gold"), back to Verse
    Chorus 2: C / A# (2x) ("Thirty miles, the world unfolds") | D# / D (2x) ("Thirty miles, a pot of gold") | C / A# (2x) ("Listen here, in my song") | D# / D (2x) ("Thirty miles, it won't be long), to Interlude
    Outro: Same as Verse ("I'm looking for something in your smile...")

Notes: Since I don't use alternate or open tunings, let alone play with a slide, I have no idea what tuning she uses, but: It may be some form of Drop or Open D—if that helps. If anyone knows for sure, just let me know and I'll update my post. When you play the Verse, you'll want to strike/play the D chord once, then play it again, count to 4, then play the G / A#. Once you get the timing down, it's pretty simple. You can play this in Standard tuning, but it won't sound as full or rich as it would with whatever tuning she uses. When you start the last verse, you'll be near the end of the progression used in both the Verse and the Interlude. So, it would go: "Thirty (G) dia-(A#)monds, birds of fire." From that point, specifically on the word "fire," you'd play a D and finish the Verse/Outro pattern, then repeat it until the song plays out.

My ears need a little rest, so this will probably be my last post for a while, but: In the meantime, keep playin' those tunes, everybody!

Here is some more

Here is the small guitar part (in TAB format) in Fountain, the "La-da-da-do, La-da-da-da":

E|--------------------------
    B|--------------------------
    G|--------------------------
    D|--1--1--1--2-----------
    A|--------------2--2--1--0
    E|--------------------------

For those that can't read TAB, the individual notes are: D# / D# / D# / E / B / B / A# / A
    (This has been added to my original post with chords from Dry)

Here is the opening riff for I Think I'm a Mother (in TAB format)

E|---------------------
    B|---------------------
    G|---------------------
    d|--3--0--------0----
    A|--------3--0--------
    D|-----------------0--

Repeat 3 times. Then, play the Verse chords.

For those that can't read TAB, the individual notes are: F / d / C / A / d / D
    (This has been added to my original post with chords from To Bring You My Love)
    Note: d = high d, D = low d

Maniac
    Intro:
    Part 1 - D / F / G / D (repeat)
    Part 2 - G / F / E / C / D - this is the little bit of piano/keys thrown into the background
    Part 3 - G / C / D
    Verse: D / F / G / D (repeat)
    Chorus: G / C / G ("I said to take me to the God heights and kiss the devil on the mouth."), back to Verse
    Bridge: G / F / E / C / D ("To leave me oh no no no no!")
    Interlude: Same as Verse and you'll throw in G / C / D twice, back to Verse

Notes: Obviously, this song has multiple layers (and there are some licks and tricks she uses in the interlude), but: I decided to just focus on what I could hear. Update: There could be a note missing in the Verse, but I can't quite place it. It might be a C, but I'm not sure? It's pretty close, though.

Somebody's Down, Somebody's Name
    Intro: D / C / D | E / C / E / C / D
    Verse: D / C / D (repeat)
    Chorus: E / C / E / C / D ("Hold on, I'm comin'"), back to Verse
    Chorus 2: D / D / F (repeat) ("Hold on, no more. Hold on, no more. Hold on, I'm comin. No, you tell me it's too late")

Notes: Once again, I don't use open or alternate tunings, so I'm not sure what she's using here. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Liverpool Tide
    Intro: G / F# / E (8x)
    Verse: Same as Intro
    Chorus: D / C / G / F# / E ("And oh, you never, never know . . . when love will come or go.")
    Interlude: Same as Intro
    Post-Chorus: Same as Chorus ("Shipwrecks above Liverpool's tide. We walk alone against the sky. And when the sky begins to crack, please hold me, love, don't break my back."), to Chorus

I'm not sure how many more I will post, as I think I've figured out as many as I can, but: If I figure anymore out, I'll be sure to add them here later!
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 06-18-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Harder: Specifically, THIS version of the song.
    Verse: G / F / G (repeat)
    Pre-Chorus: A# / C ("Why's it so hard?," "Whoa!"), back to Verse | A# / G# / G / F, back to Verse
    Chorus: Same as Verse ("Harder! Harder! Harder!")

Notes: This one is pretty simple, although the chord changes during the Verse happen very fast. When you play the Verse, at least on guitar, you'll want to hit the low E string open very quickly when switching from G to F (and then go back to G to start the pattern over again). You'll want to hold the A# a little longer (after the last "Whoa!") before going back to the Verse, right before the start of the second verse. Listen and you'll understand what I mean.

As always, if anyone can spot an error, please, please let me know!

whenthepawn
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 07-02-2015 at 02:55 AM.

So, I decided to listen to Goodnight on a whim and see if I could figure it out. Surprisingly, I did, but—since I'm not familiar with open or alternate tunings—I thought it best to keep it simple (and in Standard tuning).

Goodnight (4-Track Demos Version)
    Verse Riff 1:
    E|--------------
    B|--------------
    G|--------------
    D|--------------
    A|--0--5--4--5-
    E|--------------

Basically, you'll play the above riff until she slides up (and plays a G)

Before that happens, though, you'll strike the fifth string open and play:

Verse Riff 2:
    E|--------------
    B|--------------
    G|--------------
    D|-----5--4--5-
    A|--0-----------
    E|--------------

After that, you'll go back to Riff 1 and alternate between that and Riff 2 until the song ends.

For those that can't read TAB, the individual notes—for Riff 1—are: A / D / C# / D. For Riff 2: A / G / F# / G

Notes: There's no set pattern to how long each riff is played, so you'll just have to listen to see where the note/chord changes occur. Because it's so simple, I suppose you could attempt to play this however (or wherever) you want to on the fretboard, but: If anyone knows what tuning she uses here, please let me know and I'll update this post Also, it should be noted that the G note she uses is a high G, but you can get away with using a regular one (although it'll sound a little different).

If anyone thinks there's an error with the notes/chords, please let me know

whenthepawn
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 07-07-2015 at 12:07 AM.

This isn't much, but: Here is the small riff—in Standard tuning—Joe Gore plays on live versions of Hardly Wait:

E|-----------------
    B|-----------------
    G|--0--0-----------
    D|--------3--5--0--
    A|-----------------
    E|-----------------

Obviously, since the song is supposed to be in Double Drop D, the fingerings would chage, but: This should help.

The Phone Song
    Tuning: ? (Sounds like an open tuning of some kind, but I'm not sure. If anyone has an idea, please let me know!)
    Intro: E / G (4x)
    Verse: Same as Intro
    Chrous: G "That's the loop. It can't (G) be (E) broken (G). (G) That's the loop. It can't (G) be (E) broken" (G), back to Verse
    Interlude: E / G
    Outro: E / G, end on E

Notes: This song is very simple, but—oddly—a little hard to play. When you play the Intro and Verse, you'll hold the E chord/note for four beats, then strike the G chord/note once, then switch back to E, hold four beats, G, etc. However, there are times—such as before the 2nd verse—where you'll hold the E chord/note for five beats, then strike the G chord/note, and so on, then switch back to the 4-beat pattern. When you play the Chorus, the G chord/note is held for five beats before the E chord/note is struck and the pattern is repeated. If you listen closely enough, you'll get it. I can understand why she might not have ever played this live. I tried to sing/play a little of the first verse, but lost my concentration trying to keep the count/strum pattern correct

As usual, if anyone notices/hears an error with any of these chords or notes, please let me know and I'll update my post.

Until next time ,

whenthepawn

A small update: I was listening to a live version of Catherine this morning when—to my surprise—I figured out the chords. Also, I'm sure—when the song is played live—the guitars are tuned differently, but: I have no idea what it is. However, you can play this in Standard tuning with no problems!

Catherine
    Intro + Verse: Bm (220xxx)
    Pre-Chorus 1: The (C) wind bites more bitter with each (Bm) light of morning, back to Verse
    Pre-Chorus 2: I (C) envy to murderous, (Bm) envy your lover, to Chorus
    Chorus: (E) Til the light (D) shines on me, (Bm) I damn to hell every second you breathe, repeat. Back to Verse
    Outro: (G) Oh my Cath-(A)-erine (Bm). (G) Your eyes smi-(A)-ling (Bm). (G) For your mouth sing-(A)-ing (Bm). (G) With time I'd have won (A) you (Bm), etc. Play until song fades out.

Notes: This song is actually very easy to play. However, while you're playing the Bm during the Verse, you'll strike the E note on the D string at the second fret, then strike the D string open, then go back to the Bm and repeat the same pattern throughout the verse parts. Alternatively, you could just play regular E and D chords then go back to the Bm, but: It sounds nicer (and more accurate) with the pull-offs. As for the Outro, I'm pretty sure it's G / A / Bm repeated, but: There's a low-to-high chord progression in the background that I can't quite place. It's probably some combination of all the chords used in the song, but not necessary. The timing of this outro is reminiscent of the one used in One Line, except here she uses a Bm instead of a B, if it helps. Just listen and you should pick it up quickly.

As always, if anyone spots an error, please let me know. I know it's not much, but: It's better than nothing!

whenthepawn
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 10-06-2015 at 07:15 PM.

I figured this one out last night. Very simple to play, which is funny because I could never figure out the chords to the album version [since it was more piano/keyboard-based].

The River (Live Version)
    Specifically THIS version.
    Verse: B / F# / E
    Chorus: B / G / F# ("Throw your pain in the river . . . to be washed away slow")
    Pre-Chorus: B / D / G ("But he wanted the sun, and I wanted it all. And the white light scattered and the sun set low"), to Chorus.
    Outro: "To be washed away slow...," B / D / G (3x), then play B / G / F# until the song fades out and end on B.

Notes: She plucks some combination of the higher strings during the Interlude, but the bass line follows the Verse pattern, so I don't worry about it. These chords can be used for the album version, but it'll sound different because of all of the piano/keyboard parts in the background. Also, you can play a regular B or use a Bm throughout the song. Either are fine.

As usual, if anyone can spot an error, please let me know and I'll update the post.

If I can figure any more songs out, I'll probably post them one by one.

Until next time! ,

whenthepawn
    Last edited by whenthepawn; 10-29-2015 at 05:33 PM.