Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chords to PJ songs

Depth is the greatest of heights whenthepawn's Avatar
    Ok.

So, I was bored last night and decided to listen to The Dancer, which I haven't done in a LONG time. Still a great song, but: I noticed a small error in the chords I posted earlier in this thread. So, I thought I'd repost the song, with the corrected chords.

The Dancer (Repost) - Corrected Chords
    Intro: Am / G / F / E
    Verse: Am / Dsus2 (xx0230)/ E
    Interlude: Same as Intro
    Outro: Same as Intro

This is pretty simple. You play the Intro twice. Then, play the Verse pattern until you get to the Interlude (after the high-pitched vocalzations).

From there, you'll repeat the Intro pattern 4 times (since it's the same for the Interlude).

After that, you'll play the Verse pattern for the final verse.

Then, you'll repeat the Intro pattern and play this out once the "Cause I've cried days, I've cried nights" part repeats.

You'll end on an Am chord.

Notes: While the E chord sounds fine, I like to hammer-on/pull off on the A string (at the 2nd fret), because I think it adds more character. You can also sub an E7 chord for the E, too. It's funny, I always thought I was missing something whenever I would play this. The Dsus2 chord makes SO much sense, I'm surprised I didn't spot the error sooner!

Anyway, there you have it! Until next time,

whenthepawn

Well, I'm back.

I only have one song to share, for now, but I was so excited when I FINALLY figured this one out that I couldn't wait to post it.

I'm 99% sure this is correct, but will explain where any confusion comes in.

Note: Notes in lowercase = high notes

The Garden
    Tuning: ?
    Verse: G / A# / A / G / A (repeat)

Play above pattern until Pre-Chorus (that's what I'm calling it):

and the (G) stars came out (C) around him
    he was (G) thinking of his (C) sins
    and he’s (G) looking at his (C) songbird
    and he’s (G) looking at his (C) wings.

Back to Verse pattern

Until Pre-Chorus 2:

and he (G) came knelt down before (C) him
    and (C) fell upon his (C) knees
    said, I will (G) give you gold and (C) mountains
    if you (G) stay awhile with (C) me (g / a )

Chorus: and there was (a) trouble taking (g) place (a#) (repeat)

Interlude (Vocalized part, plus keyboard/piano high notes):

Aww, aww, aww (f# / a / d ) - Repeat 3 more times

Back to Verse pattern until:

Pre-Chorus 3:

and the (G) wind it gathered (C) round him
    he was (G) thinking of his (C) sins
    he was (G) looking at his (C) songbird
    and he was (G) looking for his (C) wings

Chorus (Repeat 4x)

Then end and fade out on the Interlude.

Notes:
    About the Pre-Choruses - This is the only point of confusion for me. At times, it sounds as if she's playing the G, then throwing in a fast A chord before sliding up to C. Other times, it sounds like G / C / D. However, when I play that on my guitar in Standard tuning, the D sounds too high. This could be one of those times where the circle of fifths is involved, meaning almost every chord used in the song sounds like it would fit there at any point. Personally, all I can really hear is G / C, although I do strike the A string open before playing the C, and I think that sounds perfectly fine.

Also, play the singular g / a / high notes in Pre-Chorus 2 in the 3rd octave (or higher).

About the Chorus - All she's doing here is playing the notes in the Verse pattern at a higher octave, somewhere around the 3rd octave or higher. The pattern is tricky, but it sounds like she's just striking them repeatedly and repeating them over and over again.

About the Interlude - For the longest time, I could not figure this out—until I realized what was going on a couple days ago. These notes are being played somewhere between the 4th ad 5th octaves. When you play this, play the f# and a in the 5th octave, but play the d note in the 4th. You can play it anywhere, so long as you play the d note at a lower octave. Otherwise, it won't sound right.

It's not perfect, but: It's something.

I have more, but I've just been busy with other things. I'll try to post them whenever I have time!

whenthepawn

^ If you can find a copy of the 2001 book "Disruptive Divas" by Lori Burns and Melisse Lafrance, on page 196 there is a very academic analysis of The Garden with actual charts. Burns is an associate professor of music theory at the University of Ottawa. This was used as a college text so used copies can be had on Amazon for $5.

Google will let you see some of it:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=HZ...Garden&f=false
    Last edited by DrDark; 09-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.

^^^ OMG, thank you SO much for this, DrDark!

This sheds some light on the confusion surrounding the pre-choruses (as I call them):

The motivic material changes for the second half of the verse, when "the stars come out," but the process is similar: the voice elaborates and rhythmically varies a melodic pattern, now a rising gesture with a major third, G—Bb—C, while the bass repeats the same two-measure unit, G—Bb—Eb, with clear rhythmic profile
    I can't read sheet music and I have no idea about major thirds, but: I was going to put a B chord before the C ("The stars came out 'round him"), but it didn't quite sound right so I left it out. If it is a Bb—unless I'm misinterpreting the squarish symbol next to the B?)—that would make sense.

I knew there was something in the bass, too, I just couldn't figure it out. The Eb (You can also use D# there) makes a lot of sense, and because she does use a lowered tuning on this one, every chord I tried sounded too high.

Very interesting.

I'm going to read the snippet about Is This Desire?, next, because parts of that have always stumped me as well.

You know, I've always wondered why there were no sheet music books to any of her albums? Do any exist?

Anyway, thank you again, DrDark!

^ IMHO, ITD (the album) remains her best work, with live versions particularly great.

Last edited by DrDark; 09-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.