Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Bergen, Norway 13/06/2015

^I thought that version was ok but the song looses something without the bass and crashing drums.

It was ok in my opinion as well, even though I'm not a fan of the song. I actively love this The Waitress, tho.

I loooove this set, very "Clyde" oriented! I'd be very happy to be at this show.

And yes, the mini-tour's incarnation of The Waitress is everythinggggg.

I really don't like ICSNY. Cheap keyboard sound, unstable tempo, the way she cut part of it out (probably because she couldn't deliver it all properly). I think the only reason why Tori's voice sounds good nowadays is the combination of the natural reverb of music halls with the effect on her microphone, all things that somehow get lost when she's performing on outside venues like this. She was literally struggling, her voice is reduced to a rattle. It makes me sad
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

That performance sounded intentionally subdued to me, for whatever reason. Maybe because it's not a song she plays often? Anyway I got vibes of I Don't Like Mondays and Garlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think the only reason why Tori's voice sounds good nowadays is the combination of the natural reverb of music halls with the effect on her microphone, all things that somehow get lost when she's performing on outside venues like this. She was literally struggling, her voice is reduced to a rattle. It makes me sad
    I saw her in an outdoor venue last year and her voice was absolutely stellar. I think that if anything, it's the audience recordings that suffer from lack of natural indoor amplification and outside noise.

IMO it's normal that playing a song she wasn't playing for years (2011, I'd say from the South african dates) could sound way less than perfect, especially if we consider that it's a really long song and if you consider than in between she played over 300+ songs. I think this was a request and she tried to make it at best as possible, but I'm thinking to other performances from last years (over all, Barons of Suburbia) which sounded really weak. I'm pretty sure that the other debuts (Code Red, The Waitress, probably even Amber Waves) were well prepared before the tour.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I saw her in an outdoor venue last year and her voice was absolutely stellar. I think that if anything, it's the audience recordings that suffer from lack of natural indoor amplification and outside noise.
    Agreed. She sounds fantastic. I think it was a new version of a song she hasn't done in a long time and it wasn't perfect.

Crowd recordings can sound really crappy. I like ICSNY but not really this version, she really struggles with it. I just wish she would hire one or two musicans to accompany her on those festival gigs. Play a tight rehearsed set and two or three songs solo. It would make so much more impact. All kinds of bands play with extra musicians. It shouldn't be that expensive. It realy feels a bit cheap like this. I wonded if she wins over some new fans like this. Her songs deserve it.

I refuse to believe that the voice I heard in Helsinki was all theater acoustics and mic effects. I think it's more likely a smartphone mic isn't the best equipment to capture it with.

I don't know what everyone is talking about... I really loved that version of ICSNY. I love the more whispery voice / more emotional / more into the songs vibes of these shows and the whole 2014 UG tour. Sure it would be great to have crashing drums like the album version - but she sounds beautiful here and is really feeling it - and I love the last "I Can't See New York"...

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
    I just wish she would hire one or two musicans to accompany her on those festival gigs. Play a tight rehearsed set and two or three songs solo. It would make so much more impact. All kinds of bands play with extra musicians. It shouldn't be that expensive. It realy feels a bit cheap like this. I wonded if she wins over some new fans like this. Her songs deserve it.
    She can't win. When she tours with other musicians, people say they miss hearing her solo and that they don't like the way she sings with the band, etc. I definitely don't think it's a matter of her being cheap (though touring with additional musicians is certainly not inexpensive).

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    She was perfect live with Caton. In part for something there is nothing she can do much about now: her voice was stronger, and just plain different, then. Also, she just had more passion back in those early days. I really don't know how she can even stand playing something like Precious Things anymore (she has played it almost 700 times according to toriset.org) but I can give her a bit of a hall pass for not going completely balls out on songs played so much and written by a much younger/different person. Finally, and most importantly, Caton accompanied her, he augmented, he added depth here and groove here and flourishes and highlights here and here, he complimented, he never overpowered her. Jon and Matt do overpower her, that's what makes people grumpy about Tori + Band (and also the songs tend to sound the same and bleed into each other with this reio).

I think it would be great if she had a drummer and a guitarist and or bassist but felt completely comfortable having them play only where truly needed, and not play on top of and over everything, or even play on every song.

No sorry, I don't like this performance of ICSNY either, but I don't think it has anything to do with it being an audience recording or would have been better with the band etc. It's just that one performance. She's had some really good ones on this tour (or maybe it's the other way around: because other performances have been so much better, this one pales in comparison?!)

Roosterspur Bridge (this is good!)

Take to the Sky