Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs that haven't been performed in a long time

Songs that haven't been performed in a long time

With the 2015 shows coming up in a couple of weeks, I thought it would be interesting to see what songs Tori hasn't played for multiple tours in a row and see if any of these relative rarities are performed this year. (I'll define multiple tours in a row as not being played since 2009 or earlier)

Little Earthquakes era:
    Sweet Dreams (last played: Frankfurt, Germany 10/5/09)
    Song For Eric (last played: State College, PA 11/21/1998)
    Humpty Dumpty (last played: Austin, TX 10/29/1996, only performed twice ever)
    Thoughts (last played: Akron, OH 11/28/1998, only performed once ever)

Under the Pink era:
    Waitress (last played: Los Angeles, CA 12/16/07)

Strange Fruit (never performed live)
    If 6 Was 9 (never performed live)

Boys For Pele era:
    Professional Widow (last played: Clearwater, FL 11/20/07
    Agent Orange (last played: Detroit, MI 8/18/03)
    Samurai (last played: Los Angeles, CA 6/30/96, only performed twice ever)
    Toodles Mr. Jim (last played: Los Angeles, CA 12/17/02, only performed 3 times ever)
    Hungarian Wedding Song, Sister Named Desire, Walk to Dublin and That's What I Like Mick have never been performed

Choirgirl era:
    Hotel (last played: Warsaw, Poland 10/10/2009)

Venus era:
    Juarez (last played: Zabrze, Poland 10/9/09)

Strange Little Girls era:
    97 Bonnie and Clyde (last played: Milan, Italy 12/17/01)
    Strange Little Girl (last played: Cleveland, OH 8/16/03)
    Heart of Gold (last played: Munich, Germany 9/14/09)
    I Don't Like Mondays (last played: Atlanta, GA 4/4/05)
    Raining Blood (last played: Manchester, UK 12/6/01)
    Only Women Bleed (last played: London, UK 12/7/01, only performed twice)
    After All (last played: Dublin, Ireland 5/30/05)
    I'm Not In Love has never been performed

Scarlet's Walk era:
    Amber Waves (last played: Luxembourgh, LU 9/18/09)

Tombigbee (last played: Atlanta, GA 7/27/09)
    Bug A Martini (last played: Vancouver, Canada 12/3/07, only performed 2 times)
    Operation: Peter Pan (last played: Melbourne, FL 11/9/02, only performed once)

Beekeeper era:
    Cars and Guitars (last played: Prague, Czech Republic, 9/24/09)
    Witness (last played: London, UK 6/4/05, only performed once)
    Hoochie Woman (last played: San Diego, CA 12/12/07)
    Goodbye Pisces (last played: Frankfurt, Germany 10/5/09)
    Not David Bowie (last played: Denver, CO 11/28/07, only performed 3 times)
    Dolphin Song has never been played live

ADP era:
    Teenage Hustling (last played: Anaheim, CA 12/15/07)
    You Can Bring Your Dog (last played: Anaheim, CA 12/15/07)
    Mr. Bad Man (last played: Copenhagen, Denmark 6/13/07)
    Fat Slut (last played: Los Angeles, CA 12/16/07)
    Devils and Gods (last played: Minneapolis, MN 11/7/07)
    Code Red (last played: Los Angeles, CA 12/16/07)
    My Posse Can Do (last played: Detroit, MI 10/27/07)
    Miracle has never been performed live

AATS era:
    Welcome to England (last played: Warsaw, Poland 10/10/09)
    Strong Black Vine (last played: Warsaw, Poland 10/10/09)
    Not Dying Today (last played: Red Bank, NJ 8/14/09, only performed once)
    Police Me (last played: Berlin, Germany 10/7/09)
    Mary Jane (last played: Brisbane, Australia 11/24/09)
    500 Miles (only played at a few radio promo performances in 2009)
    Oscar's Theme has never been performed live

Night of Hunters era:
    Snowblind, Battle of Trees, Cactus Practice, Job's Coffin, The Chase, and Night of Hunters have never been performed live

Unrepentant Geraldines era:
    Maids of Elfin-Mere, Promise, Giant's Rolling Pin, Rose Dover, and White Telephone to God have never been performed live

I'd love to see Hotel, Juarez, and Professional Widow return but those seem unlikely for a solo tour. I'm also surprised at how long it's been since Amber Waves was played, that was a constant in the sets from 02-05 and performed a fair amount in 07. I have a soft spot for Goodbye Pisces and Operation: Peter Pan as well so it'd be great for either of those to come back.
    Last edited by JHV; 07-03-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Wasn't Bonnie&Clyde a staple in Strange Little Tour? Good work though,i hope She brings Thoughts again.With new re-Masters the song has grown on me immensely.
    the draught was the very worst

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Wasn't Bonnie&Clyde a staple in Strange Little Tour? Good work though,i hope She brings Thoughts again.With new re-Masters the song has grown on me immensely.
    Bonnie and Clyde opened the show, but it was just a recording played while Tori was off-stage, not a live performance.

Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    Bonnie and Clyde opened the show, but it was just a recording played while Tori was off-stage, not a live performance.
    The vocal was live. I have it on several bootlegs where it sounds nothing like the album version.

There was also a live soundcheck recording of Sister Named Desire so I think she came close to playing that once. She must have changed her mind at the last minute. I'd rather hear that than most of the stuff post-Scarlet.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    yeah, I also seem to remember bootlegs of 97B&C sounding different every night.

That blows my mind that Sweet Dreams hasn't been played since 2009. It seemed like she played damn near her entire catalog last year. Thoughts would be a really nice thing to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The vocal was live. I have it on several bootlegs where it sounds nothing like the album version.

There was also a live soundcheck recording of Sister Named Desire so I think she came close to playing that once. She must have changed her mind at the last minute. I'd rather hear that than most of the stuff post-Scarlet.
    My mistake, will edit! I always skipped it on bootlegs because I thought it was pre-recorded.

I'd be interested to hear Sister Named Desire too. There's that bootleg recording from the Oakland 2001 sound check you referenced where Tori played that and a bit of Elvis Costello's She, it'd be cool to finally hear either of those live. Sister Named Desire is one of the few forgotten b-sides so it'd be nice to see it finally pop up after almost 20 years.

halo, I also think it's odd Sweet Dreams hasn't been played in years, especially since it was so common in 01, 03, and 07. Maybe Tori thinks it isn't relevant without the Bushes/Republicans in office or she only wants to play it with the band nowadays? With Jeb Bush running for President, I could see it coming back out again, especially if some US shows happen prior to the 2016 election, but who knows?

I can't believe it's been that long since Waitress was played...

I'm 90% sure that I will be going to the German show this year, so I hope that she forgot about Hoochie Woman and Not Dying Today or is at least too embarrassed to play them.

I'm totally into Goodbye Pisces and Amber Waves lately and would love if she brings them back (I think she doesn't know that OPP exists, but that would also be a nice addition to her repertoire).
    Starling finally needs a really good live version (same with Fast Horse by the way, the performance last year wasn't bad, but sounded a little bit too improvised for my taste).
    Other songs she should play again are the extended version of Devils & Gods, Hotel (her voice is in good shape and she could definitely come up with a solo piano/keyboard arrangement) and of course Juarez, although I don't think she will ever play it like 1999/2001 again.
    I could live with Dolphin Song and Cars & Guitars (I have a soft spot for them),WTE and 500 Miles solo.

Now that I posted that, she will probably play You Can Bring Your Earplugs and Police Me with drum loops and replace Forest Of Glass with Leather like last year.

It's always at this time I wonder why certain songs never get played.....

I feel like she's going to go with safe setlists with only the occasional splash of unusuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaviinj View Post
    It's always at this time I wonder why certain songs never get played.....
    I think there's plenty to be said of that some songs may not be fun to play live. I'm sure there are also songs in her catalog that she just doesn't like as much as others or doesn't want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitas View Post
    Starling finally needs a really good live version
    Has she performed it after 2009? I'm pretty sure she hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Muffin View Post
    Has she performed it after 2009? I'm pretty sure she hasn't.
    She hasn't. I was hoping for it last year, because I think it deserves a better performance than a messy 2009 one.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Waitress can come off this list! I'd say Code Red, too, but looks like it wasn't on it actually. What a great festival set for Spain, that country deserves it. I hope she comes back next time for a proper show.

Tori was definitely reading this thread before she pulled out Waitress for Spain