Thread: Dealing with Gray or Graying Hair

Banned

Dealing with Gray or Graying Hair

Curious what attitudes people take to finding grays. I've had a few gray hairs in my (dark brown) hair since I was in my early to mid 20s. Likewise I have had some in my chest hair. Neither really bothered me one bit. Here lately I was considering growing a beard...and my chin is maybe 30 percent gray when I grow it out. Also I see my temples and sideburns are starting to gray. They're only probably at like 5 to 10 percent now, but you can tell it's starting in earnest. Both of these latest sproutings have me surprisingly bummed. Never thought I'd care really.

Anyway...what attitude do the men and women of Unf take towards gray hair? Do you think it's odd/unadvisable for dudes to color their hair? Its funny because I am realizing how many people (mostly women) color their hair and how early they have to start doing it. I was so naive! I thought truly graying hair (not the odd one here or there) is something that happened to you in your late 40s or 50s. Do you do anything besides tweezing or coloring to get rid of them or do you believe anything even can effect or delay their appearance?

I have resolved myself to getting my hair coloured (auburn) on a regular basis. Unfortunately that means a trip to the hairdresser every 5 weeks or so. I notice the greys coming in about 2 weeks in now and it's really annoying that it grows so damn fast. In about the 3d to 4th week I start applying hair mascara to the visible greys in my part line, around the temples and above the ears. The mascara is a bit like an eyebrow gel and coats the strands well.

Styling the hair is another way to hide it between colours. If I style a bit of a downward fringe/bangs, that at least hides the temple greys.

A technique I would like to try down the track is to gradually go blonde. That way the grey regrowth won't be so noticeable and I could spread out my hairdresser visits more. The problem is, my natural eyebrow colour is quite dark, so blonde probably won't suit me.

Banned
    Thanks toriwannabe. If one decides to color, its definitely a regime. Anybody else? Any guys encountering this?

I don't have anything useful to add except not to steal the hair dye. It does not turn out well!

*stomp stomp stomp*

I wish I had gray hairs. Instead my hair is thinning badly. My hairline is horrible. At this point it is really depressing, not because I'm getting older but because I regret not having cool jobs where I could show up with a crazy haircut/color.

I started having Gray hair when i was like 12 years old. So tbh i don't imagine myself without Gray hair.
    I dyedit once, the blackest black i could find. It was weird, and it was almost like wearing a Custome all the time.
    My heard is almost all white too and I'm 31 years fucking old, so If i let it grow too much i become some kind of latin Santa Claus.

I think women with grey hair are really cute. They should have a nice haircut; there's a Girl at my job that decided to stop dying her hair, so now she has half gray-half Brown hair, and she doesn't even brush her hair so it's like the Crazy cat woman in the Simpsons but with something weird happening in her hair...

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I color all but my greys which is easy to do because they're all up front. I like my silver hair. I wish I had more of it.
    When I tried coloring my grey hair, it never held the color for very long. It got so labor intensive, and so expensive to keep up, it was the primary reason I stopped.
    I also find it funny that so many women in their 20's now completely trash their hair for a grey color. Give it time girls and keep your hair healthy.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I wish I had gray hairs. Instead my hair is thinning badly. My hairline is horrible. At this point it is really depressing, not because I'm getting older but because I regret not having cool jobs where I could show up with a crazy haircut/color.
    Why do you want gray hair?
    Last edited by Begather; 11-11-2016 at 05:14 AM.